Thinking about IVF

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Thinking about IVF

Postby rachaels_mom » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Well, after almost 5 1/2 years with no pregnancy, 5 rounds of clomid, 1 clomid iui and 1 injectable iui I'm done messing around and ready to get aggressive. I'm so nervous about it though. I don't have a peace about not doing it and I'm so scared about how physically,emotionally, and financially draining it's going to be. Does anybody have any encouraging words to say? I know of woman who did 5 rounds of IVF before she got pregnant with her twin boys. Now I know I can't afford that at all, we can probably pull 2 rounds tops (no insurance coverage for anything). That's what else I'm sooooo scared of paying all that money and having nothing to show for it. Totally fine if I do have a baby though.
Me~Karen 32 (unexplained infertility maybe slight pcos)
Dh~31 (He's awesome)

NATURAL BFP OCTOBER 10TH 2012!!!!!

Beta Oct 10th~ 9,600 (don't remember exact)

Beta Oct 12th~ 19,800 (don't remember exact)

Hoping to start IVF cycle Oct. 2012

ttc #2 since May 2006. Had Lap done 6/1/11 Found Stage 1 Endo and it's been all removed and slightly blocked right tube all cleared.
ttc Natural June 11 then onto double IUI
July-bfn
September- injectables~ BFN =(
rachaels_mom
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby waitingtobemommy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Unfortunately I have no encouraging words for you, other than to say "You're not alone". After 4 years of TTC, DH and I are finally ready to go for IVF too! I'm thinking we'll either have our initial consult with RE when I start my next cycle in early October, otherwise wait one more, which would put me right around Nov 1. I'm soooo scared, nervous, and excited all at the same time. What is your timeframe looking like in regards to IVF? I'd love to follow you through this journey!!
Me (Jen): 34, DH: 35
TTC #1 for 4.5 years
3 BFN IUI- 2011
1 BFP IUI- March 2011
1 BFP IVF- December 2011
1 BFP FET- May 2012
:angel: @ 5 weeks; March 2011
:angel2: @ 8 weeks; Jan. 2012-Trisomy 16

DS Owen Matthew born 1/17/13 via FET
Surprise natural BFP 8/3/14! EDD 4/10/15!
waitingtobemommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby rachaels_mom » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:37 pm

waiting~ I'm meeting with my RE tuesday, he kind of told me last month that he felt the injectable iui wouldn't work without saying those exact words. Me being me went ahead and tried it. Only had 1 mature follie at 22mm. I started cd1 today and from what I understand I need to be on birth control 1st right? So I would need to wait for next months af? I'm trying to decide if I'd want to start then with the holidays and all though.
Dh~31 (He's awesome)

ttc #2 since May 2006. Had Lap done 6/1/11 Found Stage 1 Endo and it's been all removed and slightly blocked right tube all cleared.
July-bfn
rachaels_mom
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby elbee » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:06 pm

I remember getting my box-o-meds for my first IVF and I mentioned how overwhelming it was to my nurse at a blood draw. All those needles, oy! She said, "You only do one at a time right?" That mindset really helped me at the beginning, just take it one thing, one step, one day at a time. Everything will fall into place and once the "action" starts everything will move so fast you'll be an old pro rolling with the punches in no time! I wish you the best!

About the BCP, you'll need to do CD3 labs to get on it, which can be done on days 2-5. Not all REs use BCP, but a lot do because they allow them to time the cycle. If you don't want to miss a month then you should call and ask if they put all ladies on BCP and see if you should go in for b/w.
Me-31 DH-30
DD - 6-11-12
July '10-Me-high FSH, DH-<2% motility + ASA

IVF #1 Jan '11-3 mature eggs, 1 fertilized w/ICSI but did not divide, 1 zygote transferred on day 3-BFN
IVF #2 March '11-8 eggs, 4 mature, 0 fertilized w/ICSI :cry:
IVF #3 July '11 cancelled-converted to IUI-BFN
IVF #4 Sep. '11-7 retrieved, 3 mature, all 3 fertilized with thawed TESE sperm.
Transferred 2 beautiful embryos on day 3 :) BFP :D Beta#1=256 (15dpo) Beta#2=568 (17dpo) Beta#3=1864 (20dpo)
(1 snowbaby)
ImageImage
"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it isn't the end."
elbee
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Buggie » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:18 pm

My IVF cycle, while financially draining since we had no insurance coverage for it either, was pretty exciting. I was SO happy to finally be doing something with a GOOD chance of baby(ies) that I wasn't too nervous for the cycle itself.

What helped me worry less was having a plan for "in case this doesn't work out." I kept telling myself that we'd have some to freeze or we could do another IVF cycle if we had to. That took some of the pressure off the situation.

Physically... well, no one likes shots and there are a lot of shots. But by day 2 of giving myself Lupron shots, it was no big deal. And mine was really only uncomfortable the day before retrieval and a few days after that. I just tried to tell myself that pregnancy was going to be a LOT more uncomfortable than any part of IVF was, so it's all for a good cause :)

For me, the worst part was the 4 days I had between retrieval and transfer. I was so worried and anxious until I got those embryos back inside me.

So my advice is to be excited! Let yourself feel whatever you're feeling. And have something that distracts you from worry whenever it gets to be too much (mine was Friends DVDs, hard to worry while you're laughing your butt off).

GOOD LUCK!!
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!

Buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby rachaels_mom » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:04 am

Buggie~ How many eggs did they retrieve? My RE said that if they retrieve enough eggs and I need to do another cycle it will cost 3-5 thousand instead of the whole IVF (I'm guessing I just have to pay for meds?), but if they didn't pull enough then I'd I have to pay everything all over again. Since I only had 1 mature follie for my injectable cycle that makes me a little nervous. Did you finance through your RE? Mine said they have payment options, just don't know if it's low interest. Also I LOVE friends, I record episodes on my dvr all the time.

I'm not nervous about the injections at all since I did injectables. It really didn't hurt. Now I felt so bloated with the injectables and swollen I can't imagine how much worse it's going to be with the higher doses of meds, but I'll do what I have to.
Dh~31 (He's awesome)

July-bfn
rachaels_mom
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Buggie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:46 am

We got 17 eggs, 11 were mature, 8 fertilized, 2 great ones transferred (and took!) and 1 good one that we left over night to see if it was freezable the next day but it wasn't. If we had some to freeze, it would have been $1500 to freeze for a year, then an FET would have been around $5k I think. But I was in Manhattan so I'm sure the prices there would be more expensive than pretty much anyplace else!

And we didn't finance or anything, we used some money we had saved for part of it and just paid the rest off that month. I still think it's some kind of miracle that we were able to avoid finance charges and such.

But, my RE was a great huge help with the cost of everything. He had TONS of drug samples, so I got all my Follistim for free and all my Endometrin (through 11 weeks pregnant!) for free. I think drug wise, I paid for Lupron, hCG shot, Medrol and doxycycline. And since I was out of pocket for the cost of everything, he gave me all the ultrasound monitoring appointments for the cost of 2 of them, which was a great help because the week before my retrieval I think I was at their office Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and retrieval was Sunday!

As for the bloating and swelling, are you close to hyperstimulating? My RE was super worried about that, because I have PCOS and I had not done a real injectables cycle prior to IVF. He ended up having me trigger a day before he had wanted me to because my E2 was over 5k.
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!

Buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby New_Mommy_Oct_05 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:43 am

It's another choice that's filled with so many emotions. I was SO happy to finally have my meds and start because I knew it was really happening.

Then we had some anxiety because my PCOS didn't respond like my RE planned and we ended up having to buy MORE meds which we weren't prepared for. We had already taken out our loan and we used every last drop of cash we could scrape together for meds .... still wasn't enough. :|

We thought everything was a waste at that point - but some wonderful ladies from this board donated meds to me and got me through the cycle!

At ER we had 14 eggs, 7 mature and ICSI was done, 6 fertilized and were growing the next day. 2 were transfered at ET on day 3 and then out of the remaining 4 only 1 made it to freeze on day 6.

We got pregnant with a singleton and I just gave birth on Aug 3rd :mrgreen: . I remember thinking about how I had spent all of that money and taken out a loan for a portion of our IVF and if it wouldn't have worked ... we would have been stuck paying on the loan with no baby. It was such a helpless feeling --- but then again, what part of IF isn't? Haha :wink:

It took us 5 years and it was a hard 5 years. My only encouraging words is just to hang in there. Giving up altogether was never an option in my book and eventually, it paid off. Wishing you the best!!! :D
*Me: 29 DH: 34
*DD1: 5 months TTC - Born 10/21/05
*DD2: 5 years TTC - IVF/ICSI - Born 8/3/11
*DD3: Surprise natural BFP - Born 8/20/12
*DD4: Donor Embryo FET - Born 8/21/15
*Aug 2013: FET
*9/7/13: :angel: Said Goodbye

Team green turned team PINK
*Dx: MFI ; PCOS & Egg Factor
New_Mommy_Oct_05
Girlfriend
Girlfriend