IVF with PGD (pre implantation genetic diagnosis)

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Re: IVF with PGD (pre implantation genetic diagnosis)

Postby Adventurer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:19 pm

Annisa: I have a feeling it is a boy too :) And I have a great feeling about you plus the evidence that the embryo expanded! I'm envious that you know you have a good one. I wish we were at a better clinic that we trusted. :S We will be doing PGS when we go to Dr. Sher.

AFM: This cycle is not going very well at all - in fact, there is a chance it will be cancelled tomorrow. I'm on very high doses and my E2 has plateaued at 5800 pmol/L or about 1600 pg/ml. Even if it goes forward, I don't have a good feeling about getting any blasts this time. Well all I can do is pray and hope. I'm going to speak to the RE tomorrow and see if it is even worth going forward. I have more follies than my first IVF but my E2 is proportionally much lower.
Me - 41
DF - 35
AMH 23.8 pmol/L
Supplements: Ubiquinol 600 mg, Folate, vit D3, vit C, vit E, vit B6, Omega-3, royal jelly, L-Arginine, Chinese herbs
Acupuncture: 2x/week
IUI #1 (1/14): Femara 12.5 mg CD3-7, 3 follies, BFN
IVF #1 (2/14): 7 eggs - 5 fertilized with ICSI - 4 blasts biopsied for PGS/4 snowbabies - 1 abnormal, 3 no result
IVF #2: (4/14) 19 eggs - 13 fertilized with ICSI, 5 blasts/snowbabies
IVF #3: (6/14) 16 eggs - 10 fertilized with ICSI, 4 blasts/snowbabies
IVF #4: (8/14) 33 eggs - 27 mature - 22 fertilized with ICSI, 2 day 5 blasts transferred - BFN, 10 snowbabies, 4 remaining PGS normals
FET #1: (11/14) single embryo transfer - :bfp: at 5dp5dt
Beta #1 at 8dp5dt 134
Beta #2 at 10dp5dt 383
Beta #3 at 12dp5dt 955
Adventurer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Annisa72 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:22 am

Hi there adventurer, that really sux. Would they just collect your eggs anyway regardless of E2? We don't even have E2 monitored here during stims, they just collect the eggs based on ultrasound monitoring. So sorry you're having this disappointment. Are you tempted to start transferring?

All, I'm feeling fine tonight. It's late at night on 1dp5dt and we're watching episodes of breaking bad. Nobody over there in America is allowed to tell me what happens ok! I'm comfortable, not symptom spotting. Have not exercised, just hung out shopping with my mum and sisters today, keeping occupied. Hope you're well.
Me 41, adenomyosis, endometriosis, blocked left Fallopian tube
DH 39, no problems
TTC since August 2012
Lap March 2013, polyp removed
HSG August 2013, confirmed left tube blocked
Ivf#1; stimulated cycle Oct 2013, fresh embryo transfer, BFN, 2 embies frozen
Naturally occurring BFP 01/01/14, chemical pregnancy
FET Jan '14, BFN
FET Feb '14, BFN
Ivf#2; April 2014, 5 blastocysts, 1 CGH normal embryo transferred June 2014, biochemical miscarriage
Ivf#3; September 2014, one blast sent for CGH testing, abnormal
Ivf#4; November 2014, 7 eggs fertilised.....
Annisa72
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby AllontheTable » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:02 pm

Adventurer just thinking about you hoping things have picked up for you! Have you heard anything new?

Annisa checking up on you too.. Hoping you are nice and relaxed. Breaking Bad is one of the best shows! And my lips are sealed lol How has everything been going?

Everything is good over here.. Went to see a movie today and I made it through so that was good! Lol.. I have another U/S this week. Super excited for that as she should be looking more like a little baby instead of a little blob :)
AllontheTable
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Annisa72 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi there All, thanks for checking in. I'm so glad everything is good on your end. I am going through a few anxious moments during this wait. The situation was not helped by me spending the morning with my extremely self centred sister who never once asked me how I was feeling and complained about her imaginary illnesses all morning. I guess I should be more careful about who I spend time with. No symptoms really, on 3dp5dt. The positive is I am not spotting. My body has the ability to spot through progesterone supplementation so I have to take this as a positive!

Adventurer, please let there be good eggs for you!
DH 39, no problems
TTC since August 2012
FET Jan '14, BFN
FET Feb '14, BFN
Ivf#2; April 2014, 5 blastocysts, 1 CGH normal embryo transferred June 2014, biochemical miscarriage
Annisa72
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby AllontheTable » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:20 am

That is awesome!! Wooohoooo for no spotting! Keep up the good work little bean! :yay:
AllontheTable
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Annisa72 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:21 pm

All, have you had your ultrasound yet? Did you see real baby features? How exciting!

Adventurer, hi, congrats on 10 fertilised, I have replied on May/June.

AFM, 6dp5dt and great news, still no spotting. I was bleeding through the pessaries by this stage last time. Still not POASing....
DH 39, no problems
TTC since August 2012
FET Jan '14, BFN
FET Feb '14, BFN
Annisa72
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby AllontheTable » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:42 pm

Woohoo!! Annisa!! That is a great sign! Looks like things are going well over there. I can't wait until you poas! The anticipation is killing me but it's still pretty early..

Adventurer so exciting for you too!! Everything ended up going very well if you got 10 fertilized! That's a good number! Hope those babies grow grow grow!

AFM.. Had my u/s today. Everything is going great! She's getting big! I saw her little hands and feet. And her heartbeat was 172 :hb:
One more appt with RE then off to OB.

I have to get another test done for downs. Kind of freaked me out because we've already done the genetic testing but I guess it's more of a guarantee.
I had blood drawn today and then at 12 weeks they'll do a special sonogram that checks the measurements of everything on the baby. Even though you would assume it would be negative but still nerve wracking.
AllontheTable
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby AllontheTable » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:15 am

Adventurer I caught your update in the other thread. Congratulations on those growing embies! :) Amazing how things change so quickly. I'm super excited for you to see Dr Sher too!

Annisa any update on things? I'm over here on pins and needles.

Everything is the same for me.. Just over here incubating. Lol.. Was able to stop crinone thankfully! And most of my sickness issues have gone. Who knows if they'll stay gone but we'll see.
AllontheTable
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Jennycooper » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:43 am

This is really very informative stuff about IVF with PGD. I was looking for same useful information and got in this conversation.
Jennycooper

Postby Frances1 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:11 pm

Hi everyone,
Sorry to butt in here. Not sure if this thread is still active but was wondering if anyone can help me. My background is explained in my signature. I've just been diagnosed with a balanced translocation (13,14) which means that PGD is essential for us. I was wondering if anyone else here has had this or can point me in the right direction? I was also wondering about IVF with PGD and whether it differs from a standard IVF cycle? Are the clinics able to do the PGD quickly or do the embryos have to be frozen whilst the testing is done?
Thanks very much. I notice that quite a few of you have had BFPs so that is encouraging for me. Congratulations to you and good luck to those still trying.
XXX
TTC since Sept 2013
Me: 37 with oldish eggs based on AMH and FSH blood tests
DH: 41 with low sperm count/motility/morphology. Grade 3 Variocele diagnosed & removed in Oct 2014, now reduced but not gone.
IVF # 1 May 2015: antagonist protocol (Gonal F, Orgalutran/Ganilrex & Gonasi trigger), ER: 18 May (4 eggs) & ET: 21 May (2 grade C eggs, none to freeze) BFN
July 2015 - FSH reduced to 8.9 but diagnosed with Robertsonian balanced translocation (13,14).
IVF #2 August 2015: Suprefact and Gonal f. ER 16 August (9 eggs), 2 embryos tested with PGD, both abnormal
Frances1

Postby Adventurer » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:42 am

Hi Frances:

Sorry to hear about the translocation.

IVF with PGS/PGD can be done with a fresh cycle with transfer in the same cycle or with FET. PGS or PGD or comprehensive chromosomal screening (CCS) all refer to the same thing. The actual methods used to accomplish the testing can be either CGH or NGS (see below).

With the fresh, the embryos have to be biopsied on day 3 and sent for array comparative genomic hybridization or CGH. The results can come back in 24 hours and then a transfer is done on day 5 or 6 if the embryo reaches a decent quality blastocyst. Another method other than CGH is a relatively new technology called next generation sequencing or NGS. This can also have a turn around time of 24 hours. I did CGH and don't have any experience with NGS.

The alternative is to do a fresh IVF cycle then biopsy embryos either on day 3 or day 5 (preferably day 5) and then send the biopsies for array CGH or NGS. While the results come back (in this case I don't think turn around is 24 hours but is maybe a week), the embryos are frozen. When the results come back, if there are normals these are transferred in an FET cycle.

Depending on your age, chromosomally normal embryos by CGH or NGS will have up to 70% (depending on who you talk to) of resulting in a successful implantation. My RE, Dr. Sher, told me that at age 40, my chances if a successful implantation was 55% per embryo transferred. Transferring 2 in a single FET cycle does not increase chances of implantation over transferring these 2 over two FET cycles (one embryo transferred per cycle).

I had success with a single transfer if a chromosomally normal embryo in a medicated FET cycle.

Good luck!
Me - 41
DF - 35
AMH 23.8 pmol/L
Supplements: Ubiquinol 600 mg, Folate, vit D3, vit C, vit E, vit B6, Omega-3, royal jelly, L-Arginine, Chinese herbs
IVF #1 (2/14): 7 eggs - 5 fertilized with ICSI - 4 blasts biopsied for PGS/4 snowbabies - 1 abnormal, 3 no result
IVF #4: (8/14) 33 eggs - 27 mature - 22 fertilized with ICSI, 2 day 5 blasts transferred - BFN, 10 snowbabies, 4 remaining PGS normals
Beta #1 at 8dp5dt 134
Beta #2 at 10dp5dt 383
Beta #3 at 12dp5dt 955
Adventurer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby arcobalena15 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:41 pm

Hello Ladies,

This thread has been so informative and helpful.Thank you all for sharing. I don't know anyone in "real life" going through IVF. My friends are very fertile Myrtles, apparently. It"s so comforting to be with people who get it.

I am 39,(40 in a couple months) and in the middle of IVF#1 trying to conceive our first child. I had two failed IUIs with Clomid. I also had two natural miscarriages over the last two years, the one most devastating occurred a few days after we heard the heartbeat and were told everything looked good. Anyway, I had my ET last month with PGD testing which resulted in 4 good eggs that were frozen at Day 5. My FET will take place in mid August. They are only implanting one, but said it will be one of the best quality ones. I know that still isn't a guarantee of anything, but I'm hopeful.
arcobalena15

Postby Adventurer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:41 pm

Good luck arcobalena!! You have an excellent chance with 4 normals! That's spectacular.
Me - 41
DF - 35
AMH 23.8 pmol/L
Beta #1 at 8dp5dt 134
Beta #2 at 10dp5dt 383
Beta #3 at 12dp5dt 955
Adventurer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby xenianew » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:56 am

arcobalena15there is such a saying: a dream comes true only if you believe. Believe and be happy. Keep my fingers crossed
xenianew

Postby helysnd46 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:56 am

Hi Ladies, I am just confused with PGD and PGS. Are they the same or is it just different techniques but the same thing? Also a clinic I contacted in Cyprus called Dunya IVF said they can even do a complete 24 chromosome check. Another one I contacted said they only check 5 chromosomes. Does anyone have a good reference for what different methods check? Cheers!
helysnd46

PreviousNext

Return to IVF