What was the process like with your RE?

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

What was the process like with your RE?

Postby CAndrea » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:59 pm

(posted this in the secondary fertility thread and then realized, I would probably reach more of you if I cross-posted here)

So, I've been stalking for over year. I have a 4 year old, who we seemingly had with no problems. I've been working with my OB since July and have done 3 months of 50mg Clomid/monitoring/triggershot and timed intercourse, and now 2 months of Femara 2.5mg and IUI. Clomid produced follicles, but thinned my lining too much and Femara has produced a follicle each time as well, but still BFNs.

I have an appt Feb 19th with the RE. I like to be prepared and I'm coming to realize that there will probably be more a process to this whole thing than visit in February and a BFP in March.

I'm curious about YOUR EXPERIENCE with your RE:
What was involved in your initial visit?
What was the course of action?
What tests were done?
What do you wish you would have known ahead of time?
Any advice or just fyi's appreciated as I work to set my expectations.

Thanks so much ladies
CAndrea

Re: What was the process like with your RE?

Postby Reapage » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:56 am

I am sorry to hear about your troubles! Finally meeting with the RE is really exciting when you have been trying for so long to no avail.

Has your partner gotten a Semen Analysis yet? I think that, and an HSG for you will be the first things the RE will ask for. If you haven't done them, then that would be good stuff to do to kill some time before meeting with the RE :)

We had this stuff done before we met our RE so when we actually did out consultation it was right into a plan of attack. We are currently in the middle of our first IVF cycle.

Good luck!
Me: 24, PCOS, on Metformin 2000 daily
Him: 33, low count, low motility, 0-1% morphology
TTC #1 since Sept 13.

IVF#1 Antagonist protocol
ET: one BA Expanded Blast, Froze one AB blast.
MC confirmed
IVF #2 FET
BFN

IVF #3 Luteal Phase Lupron Protocol
ET 1 4AB blast & 1 4BB blast
1 BA blast made it to freeze
BFP!
12dp5dt beta=738
15dp5dt beta =1,979
17dp5dt beta = 4,029

FIRST U/S @6W2D SHOWS TWINS!!!!
Baby A :hb: 128
Baby B :hb: 112
SECOND U/S @7W2D TWINS ARE PERFECT!
Baby A :hb: 166
Baby B :hb: 151

ITS A BOY AND A GIRL! :babyb: :babyg: :balloons:
Reapage
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: What was the process like with your RE?

Postby babydreams2 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:57 pm

Hi there,

I found that picking an RE was stressful, so here's my info if it helps at all.....

I'm curious about YOUR EXPERIENCE with your RE: I met with 3 REs and they were all completely different in their approach and advice. I selected the one I felt was the best "fit" for me.
What was involved in your initial visit? It was $250, consultation with doctor (gave our background info and she recommended an approach), nurse, and financial coordinator. Also had an ultrasound to do an AFC (antral follicle count - gives a rough idea of your ovarian reserve).
What was the course of action? She suggested we try on our own for 3-6 more months, then move to IUI.
What tests were done? After the appointment, when we decided to proceed with IUI....Basic hormone panel, HSG
What do you wish you would have known ahead of time? Picking the right RE will affect your whole experience! Research them thoroughly (education, SART/CDC success rates, and yelp reviews) thoroughly and meet with at least 3. I was amazed that I met with 3 of them and they gave wildly different advice and their approach in interacting with me was also wildly different. And communication is essential. Make sure all the staff is also friendly and helpful, because it's a reflection of the doctors.
Any advice or just fyi's appreciated as I work to set my expectations. Make a list of questions to ask in advance and don't be afraid to call or email them questions after your appt. It's a good way to test how fast they respond because it will be the same when you start treatment. Also ,pick someone who is positive!! It's an emotional experience and you need encouragement. Best of luck to you :)
babydreams2
Friend

Return to IVF