Anyone with multiple chemicals then a BFP?

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Anyone with multiple chemicals then a BFP?

Postby Lacy0318 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:31 pm

Hi, I'm new to forums but have been a lurker for a long time. I am at the point where I am sick of googling what I am feeling trying to find someone else in a similar situation so thought I'd just finally post and seek advice directly.

My story:
My partner and I have been trying to get pregnant for 2.5 years. I went through 12 IUIs (1 chemical) before finally moving to IVF. I hyperstimulated but they were able to retrieve 17 eggs, 12 mature, 12 fertilized and 10 made it to day 5 blast stage. To me this was an excellent sign. Because I hyperstimulated, they froze back all of the blasts. I have since had 4 transfers (3 medicated and 1 natural) and all lead to chemical pregnancies (HCG<10 at beta)... I am currently in the middle of the 4th cycle. My doctor tested me for all of the immunological causes of early loss as well as did my karyotype and found nothing wrong in those areas. She keeps suggesting using my partners uterus which I find, while an option, beyond obnoxious. She is also suggesting a new retrieval with genetic testing but we just don't have the money anymore. While I know that ~50% of fertilized embryos are bad, my egg reserve is within normal range so I don't feel like my blasts should be any worse than the average but who knows. I am now on my 4th FET (medicated) and, if this one doesn't work, we only have 4 blasts left. They finally realized this cycle that I am having a bad reaction to the sesame oil so switched me the ethyl oleate. Anyone know if this could have contributed to the chemicals? Also, the estrace (and the pill) makes me super uncomfortable down there -- itchy to the point where I want to rip off my girl parts! I told my doctor and she told me that I sort of have to deal with it and it shouldn't interfere with a pregnancy. Does anyone know about this?

In this cycle, I am currently 5dp5dt and so far I had wicked back cramps (worse than I have had before) through 4dp but today they are totally gone. I have had minor heartburn and every once in a while would get the sensation that my skin was crawling. But again, today, nothing. I am quickly losing hope since this is about what I felt every other cycle that ended in a chemical. I know it is too early to tell but with the last 3 ending in chemicals I am just feeling wasted by the whole process.

I'm curious if anyone has had 3+ chemicals in a row with IVF and went on to have a viable pregnancy. I'm feeling totally desperate.
Lacy0318

Re: Anyone with multiple chemicals then a BFP?

Postby Adventurer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:01 pm

I am sorry to hear of your struggles.

To me it sounds like you have an implantation issue, either immunologic or anatomical. Have you had a saline sonogram to check the anatomy of your uterus? When I was being worked up for immunologic issues, they did a K562 target cell test for NK cell activity and I had activated NK cells, so they put me on intralipids and steroids. They also found that my antiphospholipid antibodies were borderline high so I was on Lovenox. You have to make sure that the correct immunological tests were done. The other possible reason for chemicals may be a DQ alpha match between you and the donor. This can be partial or complete but only makes a difference if you have high percentage activated NK cells. If you do and it's partial, then the Rx is intralipids and steroids. If it's complete then you'll need a surrogate, ie. your partner's uterus. I got my immune testing at Reprosource Labs in Boston which my RE, Dr. Sher, recommends.

If this cycle is not successful, then I would recommend looking into this stuff (if not already done -I wasn't sure what tests you actually had). You want to give your remaining blasts the best chance possible.

Good luck!

Ps. If you want more info on the immunology stuff, Dr. Sher has a great website: www.haveababy.com.
Me - 41
DF - 35
AMH 23.8 pmol/L
Supplements: Ubiquinol 600 mg, Folate, vit D3, vit C, vit E, vit B6, Omega-3, royal jelly, L-Arginine, Chinese herbs
Acupuncture: 2x/week
IUI #1 (1/14): Femara 12.5 mg CD3-7, 3 follies, BFN
IVF #1 (2/14): 7 eggs - 5 fertilized with ICSI - 4 blasts biopsied for PGS/4 snowbabies - 1 abnormal, 3 no result
IVF #2: (4/14) 19 eggs - 13 fertilized with ICSI, 5 blasts/snowbabies
IVF #3: (6/14) 16 eggs - 10 fertilized with ICSI, 4 blasts/snowbabies
IVF #4: (8/14) 33 eggs - 27 mature - 22 fertilized with ICSI, 2 day 5 blasts transferred - BFN, 10 snowbabies, 4 remaining PGS normals
FET #1: (11/14) single embryo transfer - :bfp: at 5dp5dt
Beta #1 at 8dp5dt 134
Beta #2 at 10dp5dt 383
Beta #3 at 12dp5dt 955
Adventurer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Anyone with multiple chemicals then a BFP?

Postby Lacy0318 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:27 pm

Thanks you for your response. The tests that I have had done looked at antithyroglobulin, anti thyroid peroxidase, TSH, and beta 2-glycoprotein. I believe that there was one other but I don't think it was the K562 test. I read that there is a lot of controversy in the literature about that one. Anyways, I don't know about the DQ alpha issue you mentioned so I will look into it. Thank you again!
Lacy0318

Return to IVF