Egg retrieval cancelled/last minute IUI

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Egg retrieval cancelled/last minute IUI

Postby LlucyUnderhill » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:26 am

First, has anyone else had to cancel the ER and had success with the IUI?

This is my first time posting here. I'm 34 and have PCOS. Basically I have been not-preventing pregnancy and actively trying with ART over 10 years. My loving and supportive DP has no male factor issues. After exhausting all our other ART options and meds, we finally decided to move on to IVF with an RE that I truly love.

So we started the whole Lupron, Bravelle and Menopur dance in January. Unfortunately, I wasn't responding fast enough so they had to heap on more and more meds until finally on day 13 I had tons of 7mm follicles but I only had 1 follicle at 22mm, 1 at 19mm and 1 at 17mm. My RE recommended that we pull the plug and cancel the ER. I could feel the tears coming.

The RE said if we wanted to still take the trigger that day, then he would do an IUI for free for us. He really is a nice guy on top of being a good RE.

So today is 4 dpiui. I know better than to get too excited but I'm still hopeful. This feels like the first time all the important parts were in the same place at the same time.

The RE said we had a 15% chance of pregnancy and then 30% chance of twins if pregnancy did occur. I honestly don't know how we could afford twins but let me tell you, we both agree that we'd find a way.

Just for reference, the cost of IVF here in Vermont has been:
    $2926.36 so for meds ($4475.06 before rebates from ivfgreenlight.com)
    $6,000 flat price to the RE for everything except for ultrasounds -$7000 if my insurance didn't cover them
    $500 to the anesthesiologist
    $500 yearly storage fee for frozen embryos after the first year.
LlucyUnderhill

Re: Egg retrieval cancelled/last minute IUI

Postby MidwestGirl » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:54 pm

I don't have any personal experience with switching from IVF to IUI but just wanted to wish you luck and :babydustb: . 15% chance of pregnancy is better than a couple with normal fertility trying on their own for any given month, and it must be tons better than the chance would have been without doing any intervention. I hope it works for you! And thank you for the tip about ivfgreenlight.com; we're planning ahead for another round of IVF after a failed FET, and every little bit helps financially!
Me: 36, low progesterone/ovulatory dysfunction
DH: 41, healthy
19 months TTC #1
IVF Oct/Nov 2012, BFP! DD born at 41 weeks 1 day
13 months TTC #2, 1 year break, then 2 more months TTC
FET Jan 2015, BFN
Freeze-all IVF May 2015, 2 snowbabies
FET July 2015, BFP but m/c at 5w1d :angel:
FET Sept 2015, BFN
IVF with fresh tfr Sept 2016, BFP, DS born at 41 weeks
MidwestGirl
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby LlucyUnderhill » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:00 pm

Thanks for the reply! I'm happy to pass along the rebate info from ivfgreenlight.com. You just have to buy the meds from a participating pharmacy and the rebate form was only 1 page. We opted to buy from freedomfertility.com, who does participate. They provided fantastic customer service. My RE's staff helped us find them.

The RE also suggested another place if we had any affiliation with the military. We didn't but they asked because the pharmacy offered better pricing. I could get that info it it would help anyone.
LlucyUnderhill

Postby Adventurer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:00 pm

I'm sorry to hear your IVF cycle was cancelled but I'm crossing everything that you get your BFP.
Me - 41
DF - 35
AMH 23.8 pmol/L
Supplements: Ubiquinol 600 mg, Folate, vit D3, vit C, vit E, vit B6, Omega-3, royal jelly, L-Arginine, Chinese herbs
Acupuncture: 2x/week
IUI #1 (1/14): Femara 12.5 mg CD3-7, 3 follies, BFN
IVF #1 (2/14): 7 eggs - 5 fertilized with ICSI - 4 blasts biopsied for PGS/4 snowbabies - 1 abnormal, 3 no result
IVF #2: (4/14) 19 eggs - 13 fertilized with ICSI, 5 blasts/snowbabies
IVF #3: (6/14) 16 eggs - 10 fertilized with ICSI, 4 blasts/snowbabies
IVF #4: (8/14) 33 eggs - 27 mature - 22 fertilized with ICSI, 2 day 5 blasts transferred - BFN, 10 snowbabies, 4 remaining PGS normals
FET #1: (11/14) single embryo transfer - :bfp: at 5dp5dt
Beta #1 at 8dp5dt 134
Beta #2 at 10dp5dt 383
Beta #3 at 12dp5dt 955
Adventurer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to IVF