1st IVF cycle - what to expect??!

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

1st IVF cycle - what to expect??!

Postby babydreams2 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:34 pm

I'm starting my first IVF cycle (with ICSI, assist hatch, PGS) on Monday 2/23 and the meds arrrived - YIKES! I'll be doing injections for 10 days, including Follitism, Menopur, Ganirelex, Omnipur. Anyone else had this protocol? The Omnipur is unusual (growth hormone), but my RE said it will improve egg quality (I'm 39). I watched a video on prepping the meds for injection and it was overwhelming. I didn't realize I'd have to be my own chemist in this process.

Anyone have any suggestions for this IVF newbie, in-terms of meds, ER, or transfer process?

I'm so excited to start IVF, but since my DH and I have been trying for so long (2 yrs naturally, then 4 IUIs) that it's hard to believe anything will ever work. I almost feel like this IVF is just a medical procedure and not like it could actually result in a baby. Maybe I'm just numbed out from all the months of dashed hopes. I had to finally buy preg tests that say + or - instead of pregant/not pregnant because I couldn't stand to read "not pregnant" again. Somehow the "-" sign is less brutal.

Any IVF success stories for ladies around my age - 39? My stats: AMH 1.33, FSH 5.5, est 48, AFC 5-8, male factory issues (poor morph), 4 IUIs with 1 BFP but m/c at 6wks.

Thanks!!
babydreams2
Friend

Re: 1st IVF cycle - what to expect??!

Postby MidwestGirl » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:54 pm

I agree that it's really daunting at first. But after the first couple of injections, you'll get the hang of it and you'll be a pro by the end. I recommend putting the needle through your skin really fast -- seems counterintuitive, but it actually hurts less than going slowly. Inject slowly, but the part that is uncomfortable is going through the skin. If your husband/partner wants to help, maybe let him/her try doing some of the injections -- depends on your personality, but I felt better about it if I was in control. A good clinic will answer your questions and will give you very specific instructions. Call them and bug them if you don't feel like they gave you all the information. They want you to do it right just as much as you want that. As for success stories, there's a thread at the top of the IVF board that has lots of people's stats & successes. You'll probably find lots of people with similar medical problems to yours who have finally become moms through this (albeit stressful and expensive) process. Good luck!
Me: 36, low progesterone/ovulatory dysfunction
DH: 41, healthy
19 months TTC #1
IVF Oct/Nov 2012, BFP! DD born at 41 weeks 1 day
13 months TTC #2, 1 year break, then 2 more months TTC
FET Jan 2015, BFN
Freeze-all IVF May 2015, 2 snowbabies
FET July 2015, BFP but m/c at 5w1d :angel:
FET Sept 2015, BFN
IVF with fresh tfr Sept 2016, BFP, DS born at 41 weeks
MidwestGirl
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Frances1 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:02 pm

I just wanted to say good luck with your cycle. I am new to this forum, but been on the blog for about 10 months now as been TTC for 15 months and due to male factor infertility (DH has low sperm count and had varicocele op in Oct) we are scheduled to start IVF in April....so not far behind you. I'm 37 and DH is 41.
Can't really help much as this is our first IVF. But sending you lots of babydust and keeping my fingers crossed for you.
TTC since Sept 2013
Me: 37 with oldish eggs based on AMH and FSH blood tests
DH: 41 with low sperm count/motility/morphology. Grade 3 Variocele diagnosed & removed in Oct 2014, now reduced but not gone.
IVF # 1 May 2015: antagonist protocol (Gonal F, Orgalutran/Ganilrex & Gonasi trigger), ER: 18 May (4 eggs) & ET: 21 May (2 grade C eggs, none to freeze) BFN
July 2015 - FSH reduced to 8.9 but diagnosed with Robertsonian balanced translocation (13,14).
IVF #2 August 2015: Suprefact and Gonal f. ER 16 August (9 eggs), 2 embryos tested with PGD, both abnormal
Frances1

Postby babydreams2 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:50 pm

Thanks so much for the support MidwestGirl and Frances1!

MidwestGirl - I took your advice and had my hubby do the shots! So stress relieving to not have to see the needle go in. And you're right that it wasn't so bad once we started doing the injections and getting used to the process. Now we turn on some jazz and go through it together....feels very bonding.

Frances1 - I wish you luck with your IVF next month! I have to do another stim cycle after this one before we do a transfer since I have so few follicles. So I'll be at it again by mid-end of April too :)
babydreams2
Friend

Return to IVF