At what point did you decide IVF was needed?

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

At what point did you decide IVF was needed?

Postby delilahpaige » Mon May 11, 2015 9:43 am

I need your expertise and opinions. I've written some things on the TWW Blog, but I am not getting many responses. My husband are at a gambling crossroads. After three failed Clomid/Ovidrel IUI cycles, my RE is ready to do IVF with us, but is willing to do one more IUI cycle since our insurance covers IUI and does not cover IVF.

ME: 30, TTC since 2013. I only have one ovary but ovulate regularly and has good egg reserve. Minor PCOS.
DH: 33, borderline low sperm count with some morphology motility issues. Three sperm analysis' showed 14mil, 19mil, and 29mil.

Here are the questions I have:
*Is it worth it to ask for an injectable IUI cycle? That would be about $2,000 lost if it doesn't work, but significantly cheaper than IVF if it does.
*Are we wasting our time, emotions, and energy on IUI cycles past these three?
*At what point did you and your partner decide IVF was your best options?
*Are there any programs you can suggest to help with costs?

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to respond. I truly value your input! :)
http://www.twoweekwait.com/user/11099 My Blog with background info
delilahpaige

Re: At what point did you decide IVF was needed?

Postby Adventurer » Tue May 12, 2015 9:53 am

Hi Delilah:

In my humble opinion, if your DH has low motility and morphology issues, then IUI is less likely to work. Your mild PCOS might not be helping either. However, since you are young at 30, there is no reason to rush and doing another IUI cycle wouldn't hurt especially if it is covered by your insurance. It's hard for me to say if injectables at a cost of $2000 might help. I suppose it comes down to your comfort level regarding cost. Yes, it may work and you could save money, or it might not and you'd be out 2K.

At the end of the day, although expensive, IVF is your best option in light of male factor. However, since IVF is a very expensive procedure, I suggest that you do some research on clinics on the www.sart.org website. It lists success rates for all participating US clinics (I suppose I'm assuming you're in the States?).

Age was the only factor that made us go straight to IVF because we're fortunate to be able to afford it. I started trying at age 39 and had never been pregnant before. In your case, you are young and have plenty of eggs so your case is different. It will be ultimately up to you to decide how quickly you want to proceed and how much money you want to/can spend.

I probably haven't been much help but hopefully just a little ;)
Me - 41
DF - 35
AMH 23.8 pmol/L
Supplements: Ubiquinol 600 mg, Folate, vit D3, vit C, vit E, vit B6, Omega-3, royal jelly, L-Arginine, Chinese herbs
Acupuncture: 2x/week
IUI #1 (1/14): Femara 12.5 mg CD3-7, 3 follies, BFN
IVF #1 (2/14): 7 eggs - 5 fertilized with ICSI - 4 blasts biopsied for PGS/4 snowbabies - 1 abnormal, 3 no result
IVF #2: (4/14) 19 eggs - 13 fertilized with ICSI, 5 blasts/snowbabies
IVF #3: (6/14) 16 eggs - 10 fertilized with ICSI, 4 blasts/snowbabies
IVF #4: (8/14) 33 eggs - 27 mature - 22 fertilized with ICSI, 2 day 5 blasts transferred - BFN, 10 snowbabies, 4 remaining PGS normals
FET #1: (11/14) single embryo transfer - :bfp: at 5dp5dt
Beta #1 at 8dp5dt 134
Beta #2 at 10dp5dt 383
Beta #3 at 12dp5dt 955
Adventurer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: At what point did you decide IVF was needed?

Postby bbe » Tue May 12, 2015 4:15 pm

We also had male factor and mild pcos. From what I know, pcos can also mean lower egg quality. i did 2 IUIs and 2 mini ivfs. The second ivf resulted in my daughter with God's grace. Mini ivf can be an alternative to traditional ivf but not all REs do it, or they don't have good success rates with it. If you have a clinic nearby that specializes in mini and has good success rates, that might be a money saving option. Also there are programs that offer discounted medication. Fertility by Design First Steps and Compassionate Care. First steps is a little weird though, sometimes they turn down people who really need the discount. I recommend Compassionate Care but it's worth applying to both bc you never know.
Me 34 DH 36
Ttc 1 since 2008
MFI, and blocked left tube
2 IUIs bfns
1st mini ivf bfn
2nd mini ivf bfp
DD born 2012
Ttc 2 2013
3rd mini ivf bfp
Miscarriage 7.5 weeks

When He decrees an affair, He only says to it "Be" and it is. (Quran 19:35)
bbe
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to IVF