Low HCG, not quite doubling. Anyone experienced this??

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Low HCG, not quite doubling. Anyone experienced this??

Postby SimoneB » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:35 am

Hi all,

I'm looking to read anyone's experiences with low-ish beta and/or not doubling in 2 days. While I'd love it if there were only stories with positive outcomes, I would also be interested to read about situations where things didn't go ideally.

My first beta was 58 @ 12dp2dt and 48 hours later I was at 92 (14dp2dt). The nurse was worried about my numbers not doubling so I redid the test today, resulting in 165 @ 16dp2dt

Of course I've been reading up non-stop since, and I do understand that it can be up to 3d to see a doubling (which does work out for me), but what I haven't been able to find are people's real experiences with a similar situation. I found lots of forums with scared ladies asking similar questions, but the responses were more scared ladies asking the same questions again.

I will be redoing beta on Friday, and at this rate, I'd expect to see something between 500-600, unless we get a nice jump up.

Has anyone experience low/slow numbers and how did it work out for you?

Thanks,
Simone
Simone (36) & Sylvain (30)
03/2011 MC
08/2013 ectopic
03/2014 MC
05/2015 IVF #1, 5 fertilised: 2 transferred, 3 frozen 5D blasts
07/2015 ectopic

8 Dec - lap to remove left tube (possibly right too)

Our Group
BFP - Jersey, Kiwi, Twein, Zerbinetta
26 Nov - Lady F/U appt
SimoneB
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: Low HCG, not quite doubling. Anyone experienced this??

Postby Holly2earlyblasts » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:03 pm

I haven't had experience of this but seems no-one has come forward for you :( so thought I would say hey. Really want to say- stay positive! Truly... It's going up! This is awesome. My chemical last month showed bfp frer but zero beta :( let me know how you go Friday. My first beta for transfer of two awesome little hatchlings is next Wed. Plan to PoAs Saturday (if I dare after last months chemical disaster!) sending you baby dust Simone, love Holly x
Holly2earlyblasts
Friend

Postby Adventurer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:58 pm

Hi Simone: I don't have personal experience but it could go either way for you. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait for a 6-7 week U/S to determine how things are going. Your betas are rising which is good but the lack of doubling is a bit concerning. Even so, some women have initially slow to rise betas but then have a jump and their babies turn out to be fine. I know of at least 2 such cases. That's why many REs don't put too much weight on betas since it's the ultrasound that will be more informative.
Me - 41
DF - 35
AMH 23.8 pmol/L
Supplements: Ubiquinol 600 mg, Folate, vit D3, vit C, vit E, vit B6, Omega-3, royal jelly, L-Arginine, Chinese herbs
Acupuncture: 2x/week
IUI #1 (1/14): Femara 12.5 mg CD3-7, 3 follies, BFN
IVF #1 (2/14): 7 eggs - 5 fertilized with ICSI - 4 blasts biopsied for PGS/4 snowbabies - 1 abnormal, 3 no result
IVF #2: (4/14) 19 eggs - 13 fertilized with ICSI, 5 blasts/snowbabies
IVF #3: (6/14) 16 eggs - 10 fertilized with ICSI, 4 blasts/snowbabies
IVF #4: (8/14) 33 eggs - 27 mature - 22 fertilized with ICSI, 2 day 5 blasts transferred - BFN, 10 snowbabies, 4 remaining PGS normals
FET #1: (11/14) single embryo transfer - :bfp: at 5dp5dt
Beta #1 at 8dp5dt 134
Beta #2 at 10dp5dt 383
Beta #3 at 12dp5dt 955
Adventurer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MidwestGirl » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:33 am

Hi, Simone,
My hCG is not doubling as expected, either. I just talked to my RE's office, and they're going to follow hCGs. If it continues to look slow, they want to bring me in early for an ultrasound to make sure it's not an ectopic pregnancy. Just like you, I have spent a lot of time online reading and am also looking for happy endings. There are some on other forums (one on thebump.com had a 100-hour doubling time and turned out okay). I don't have any vast experience to offer but wanted to say hi because we're in the same boat. Let us know how it turned out for you and your bean! :babydustb:
Me: 36, low progesterone/ovulatory dysfunction
DH: 41, healthy
19 months TTC #1
IVF Oct/Nov 2012, BFP! DD born at 41 weeks 1 day
13 months TTC #2, 1 year break, then 2 more months TTC
FET Jan 2015, BFN
Freeze-all IVF May 2015, 2 snowbabies
FET July 2015, BFP but m/c at 5w1d :angel:
FET Sept 2015, BFN
IVF with fresh tfr Sept 2016, BFP, DS born at 41 weeks
MidwestGirl
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby SimoneB » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:32 pm

Hi Midwestgirl,

Sorry for the delay. I wrote you on the weekend and lost the entry.

I had 4 betas in all. I went from doubling in 72 hours, to 60 hours and then I did get to 48 hours, so they decided to stop monitoring it.

I'm afraid I don't have one of those happy endings for you. My ectopic was discovered 2 weeks ago at my scheduled US at 8w2d.

The embryo had stopped developing at just over 7 weeks. It was able to develop that much (with no pain BTW) because it was at the very end of the tube at the widest part, right on the edge of the uterus.

I was treated with methotrexate again (not my first ectopic) and my hcg is going down nicely.

I did find others who had low rising hcg and then a big jump up, so there's definitely hope (there's a user sarahmcsheep in WTE who had very low numbers and is just fine (around 12 wks now).

Best of luck to you! I really hope you get a better result than mine x
03/2011 MC
08/2013 ectopic
03/2014 MC
07/2015 ectopic

Our Group
26 Nov - Lady F/U appt
SimoneB
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby MidwestGirl » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:58 pm

Simone - So sorry to hear about your loss. I appreciate your writing back. It turned out my fears were well founded; unfortunately, my betas started to fall and it's a miscarriage. DH and I are still processing it emotionally (we found out only a couple of days ago)... not quite sure how to "get back in the game" after this, but we have 1 more embryo and are going to figure it out. At least I know I'm not alone in this - TWW has been so helpful.

*Baby dust* to you!
Me: 36, low progesterone/ovulatory dysfunction
DH: 41, healthy
19 months TTC #1
IVF Oct/Nov 2012, BFP! DD born at 41 weeks 1 day
13 months TTC #2, 1 year break, then 2 more months TTC
FET Jan 2015, BFN
Freeze-all IVF May 2015, 2 snowbabies
FET July 2015, BFP but m/c at 5w1d :angel:
FET Sept 2015, BFN
IVF with fresh tfr Sept 2016, BFP, DS born at 41 weeks
MidwestGirl
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby SimoneB » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:07 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that. Big hugs to you, I know how hard this is, having had 4 losses. And I know what you mean, the ladies here are awesome. This is the "easiest" loss I've had, because I've been able to safely work through it in my group (June 2015). It's helped me enormously, and I'm already feeling better. Last year I fell into a pretty serious depression, so I was afraid it was going to happen again, but instead I'm feeling strong (ish) and positive about "next time". I take a lot of comfort from every success story and I truly feel like I share in every BFP.

I have 3 frozen embies, but I have to wait 3 months to do FET after the metho. I wish you speedy healing and I'll be crossing everything for you for your next FET.

Big hugs x
03/2011 MC
08/2013 ectopic
03/2014 MC
07/2015 ectopic

Our Group
26 Nov - Lady F/U appt
SimoneB
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to IVF