Unsuccessful IVF

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Unsuccessful IVF

Postby ivfbaby » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have been ttc for more than 3 years now. We did one unsuccessful IUI two years back and finally decided to go ahead with my first IVF last month. After fertility medication, my RE extracted 19 eggs however most of them were not mature and few did not survive ICSI and we were left with only 2 embryos. Doctor said that eggs were very grainy and the final 2 emryos are very fragmented and he is almost sure that they wouldnt survive by day 6 which is what finally happened.
After everything doctor told me that I have a egg quality issue and he is 95% sure that I will not be able to conceive with my own eggs and a donor egg is the only option for me. I am 32 and healthy and all my tests were normal so its hard to believe this.

Did anyone face this? Do you know if there is a treatment for egg quality issue? Should I try for IVF with some other doctor?
I am very confused and sad :(
ivfbaby

Re: Unsuccessful IVF

Postby mamabear1 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:37 am

I am really sorry you were given this news. I have read this happening to other women. I have no experience with it myself but am really worried that if i embark on ivf, which i'm hoping too, that this will be my fate also.

I have read where other women with egg quality issues were put on Dhea. I personally would find it hard to accept that it's all over using my own eggs after 1 attempt only. I'd be thinking that maybe there are different meds they could try and if i was told no then i do believe i'd try another clinic.

Of course the cold harsh reality might be that the Dr is right, but you've only had 1 attempt. I guess it comes down to finances and how you sit personally on using donar eggs. I really hope you are able to get some answers soon and move forward which ever path you decide to go down.
[i]TTC one more precious bundle since Oct 2013 with my now 41yr old eggs, and severe mfi :(

m/c Jan 2007 7w5d
DD Nov 2007
DS Feb 2010
m/c Aug 2014 10w5d

IVF#1
EPU 25/1/16 - 5 follicles, 5 eggs (all mature), 3 fertilised (ICSI).
CGH testing on 1 day 6 embryo = abnormal.
Time for a new FS and a kick a*s protocol.
mamabear1
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Danaa » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:43 am

Im so sorry for the situation ur going trough,it can't be easy!!I have no experience with egg quality or IVF,but i think onother opinion wouldn't hurt,I have read stories of ladies who had small follies during one round of stims,but when they changed the protocol they end up doing ok!If ur doctor saw during ur monitoring that most of ur eggs weren't mature enough why didn't he/she stopped at that point?My advice to you is to get a second opinion!!Good Luck and I'm looking forward for updates!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ivfbaby » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:34 pm

Thanks mambear1 and Danaa for your reply. Its really comforting to talk to someone who is in the same boat.

@Danaa

During the monitoring follicles seemed normal. Doctor was looking for follicles with size more than 18mm and at least 10 follicles. In the last ultrasound there were 7 follicles on each side and 3-4 were more than 18mm. Doctor was very satisfied with this result. As per him after the extraction on analyzing eggs under microscope he found that they had some grainy surface and not mature enough. I have asked doctor to share the full report so that I can understand better what he means by "not mature enough".

@mamabear1

I am already taking DHEA along with several vitamins since 3-4 months.

This IVF was done using Microdose lupron protocol so there is a slight chance that things may improve with a different protocol (Antagon I think). I am planning to take a second opinion before going ahead with another cycle. Do you have any suggestions for any good IVF doctor in bay area, california or even outside? I wouldn't mind travelling anywhere to get right advice.
ivfbaby

Postby snowblack3 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:33 am

Hi, ivfbaby. I am sorry the situaton turned like this. If you trust yr doc I would try the second ivf in the same clinic, as ivf success rate is about 50%, it means only half of first try ivf are successful. In the meantime I would check other options. Think positively.
snowblack3

Return to IVF