Unexplained infertility & thinking about IVF - Any advice?

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Unexplained infertility & thinking about IVF - Any advice?

Postby MargotTatum » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting and would love to hear some thoughts from all you other lovely ladies! My husband and I have been trying to conceive for about 20 months with no success. We have done all the testing, and nothing appears to be the issue. We tried Clomid for a few months (I felt horrible) and still no success. I am only 29 years old, and he is 33. My doctor is recommending we move forward with treatment.

We have decided to most likely move forward with IVF in the fall. We both want a baby, and every month is too discouraging. My doctor recommended IVF over IUI since the success rate goes significantly up. Of course, I am nervous, worried, and excited all at the same time.

I of course am worried about the risks, and am concerned there is some unknown reason that my husband and I shouldn't be procreating. I realize some of this is silly hormones, but any advice and/or experiences you are willing to share would be so appreciated.

Thank you and good luck to everyone!
Victoria
MargotTatum
Friend

Re: Unexplained infertility & thinking about IVF - Any advic

Postby nebraska418 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi there! I am also unexplained and in my late 20's. I am curious why your doc is so eager to skip IUI's. Was this your regular doc or your RE? IUI's are definitely cheaper and less invasive by a long shot, at least for most people. If you do try, I'd recommend Femara instead of Clomid. Way better with the side effects! IUI works for many women, but you are right that success rates per cycle aren't great. I did 5 of them (3 with my OB, 2 with my RE) before calling it quits and moving to IVF. I'm currently in between retrieval and transfer. It's an intense and emotional process, but I'm so glad to have the opportunity to do it. Either way you won't make the wrong decision. It's for you and your husband alone to decide. Good luck and feel free to ask more questions!
Me: 28 DH: 28
TTC since May 2012: unexplained infertility
5 failed clomid w timed IC. 5 failed IUI's
IVF with ICSI #1 July 2015 - positive but early m/c
FET #1 Nov 2015 - negative
FET #2 TBD
nebraska418

Postby MargotTatum » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:20 pm

Thank you for answering and sharing your situation!

It was my RE who recommended the IVF. I think she believes that the IUI only will prolong the frustration and with my particular health care coverage, the cost isn't significantly different. IUI definitely seems less invasive, but as she said, it comes down to how long you want to wait. She also thinks I have a very high chance of success with the IVF, especially given my age.

I am sure it is intense and emotional -- and in some ways I worry more about my husband's emotional response than mine -- us women are tough :)

I will keep my fingers crossed for you! Hopefully it is all worth it in the end!
MargotTatum
Friend

Postby nebraska418 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:58 am

Yes we are most certainly tough! :) Wow our IVF cycle is about 10 times more expensive than our highest IUI cycle. I can see why you want to move ahead! Makes sense to me. Unexplained is so frustrating, too, because it can be any number of unidentified things. IVF has the ability to bypass a lot. I think my RE did a good job explaining why she was doing things a certain way for us, like ICSI to combat the risk of fertilization failure and finding out we had thick egg walls or something.
Anyway, I hope your path leads you to the family you're after!
Thanks for the positive thoughts!
FET #2 TBD
nebraska418

Postby mmmoore » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:50 am

Margot, I also have unexplained infertility and I am 27 (DH is 29). I just completed an IVF freeze all cycle in April. I actually have my first FET next Wednesday.

My RE suggested we go straight to IVF from Clomid because of my DH's impressive sperm count. She said that we didn't need IUI because his sperm was getting where it needed to be. Also my insurance only covers up to $15,000 and my RE didn't want us wasting that on something she thought wouldn't work.

I know IVF is expensive but for us it was worth it. I was pressured to wait one more year, but my mother convinced me to do it now. I am glad I did. Ask any questions you have!
22 months TTC number 1

Me: 27
DH: 29

Praying for our own miracle!

Check out my blog Moore Than Words!

Diagnosed with Unexplained infertility.
Hypothyroidism. Slight PCOS.
Moved to RE in Nov. 2014

First IVF Freeze-All March/April 2015:
ER: 14 eggs, 13 fertilized, 10 made it to freeze!
FET July 29 5-day transfer of two beauties: BFN

My Ovulation Chart
mmmoore

Postby MargotTatum » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:00 pm

Thanks for sharing! I am excited for you - positive thinking!

My mother also convinced me to get started -- turning 30 next week and as she reminds me, I'm not getting any younger.

I think IVF is the right thing for us, it is just so frustrating when there is no apparent reason. I think I am still dealing with some shock and doubting my body. And, everybody assumes that since I am young it will just happen... when in realty, it doesn't matter your age!

Have you thought about whether you will transfer one or multiple embryos? My doctor seems to be pretty against multiple, but I only want two kids and am tempted to just get it done!
MargotTatum
Friend

Postby Menehune » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi! I was unexplained for a long time until I found the right doc for me. He went the extra mile...he monitored my ultrasounds when we tried clomid/iuis and diagnosed me w pcos. He also did laparoscopic surgery and found endometriosis. I'm so sorry you have reached this point, but my advice is to research doctors and their ivf success rates. If my doc didn't make the diagnostic efforts, we may not have been blessed w our twins on our first ivf attempt. Best of luck to you!!!
Me - 36 (PCOS/Endo/polyps), Him - 37
TTC #1 since Jan 2009
MM/C Apr 2010 @ 5wks
Clomid only Sept-Nov 2010
Clomid/IUI Feb-Mar 2011
Acupuncture 2011
IUI #3 Oct 2012
Started Metformin for PCOS
Clomid/IUI #4 Nov 2012
Laparascopy/Hysteroscopy/D&C Dec 2012 - Endo removed from both ovaries and bladder, uterine polyps removed
Clomid/IUI Jan-Mar 2013
Mar 2013 - Acupuncture to prep for IVF
Hysteroscopy/Endo scratch/polyps removed May 2013
IVF #1 June 2013, Long lupron, follistim/menopur, 30 eggs retrieved, 27 mature, 15 fertilized, 11 5-day blasts, freeze all due to OHSS
8/23/13 FET 3x5-day blasts transferred, BFP 6dp5dt, betas 380 @ 10dp5dt, 810 @ 12dp5dt, 38,185 @ 22dp5dt, U/S 9/26 Twins!
The twins arrived at 34 weeks, baby boy spent 2 weeks in NICU, baby girl spent 3 weeks in NICU
Menehune
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby MargotTatum » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:01 pm

Congrats on your family! It is nice to hear a success story!

I just met a new doctor who I think is great. She seems very well regarded and has such a nice approach. I couldnt agree more that finding the right doctor is crucial.

Thanks for sharing!
MargotTatum
Friend

Postby nebraska418 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:55 am

MargotTatum wrote:
Have you thought about whether you will transfer one or multiple embryos? My doctor seems to be pretty against multiple, but I only want two kids and am tempted to just get it done!

I will go for two if I have them. Here's a good article on the subject of safety and twin IVF pregnancies. Edited to add our chances of twins with a double transfer are about 1 in 3 so it can still be only one that takes, making even more sense to do a double.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/ ... twins.html
FET #2 TBD
nebraska418

Postby mmmoore » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:04 am

MargotTatum wrote: Have you thought about whether you will transfer one or multiple embryos? My doctor seems to be pretty against multiple, but I only want two kids and am tempted to just get it done!

We are transferring two. My RE actually recommended two but said it was really up to us whether we wanted 1 or 2. My gut says two so that is what I am going with. Go with your gut!!!
22 months TTC number 1

Me: 27
DH: 29

Praying for our own miracle!

Check out my blog Moore Than Words!

Diagnosed with Unexplained infertility.
Hypothyroidism. Slight PCOS.
Moved to RE in Nov. 2014

First IVF Freeze-All March/April 2015:
ER: 14 eggs, 13 fertilized, 10 made it to freeze!
FET July 29 5-day transfer of two beauties: BFN

My Ovulation Chart
mmmoore

Postby MargotTatum » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:23 am

Thank you both! I am meeting with my doc next week, so we shall see!
MargotTatum
Friend

Postby twinklebug » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi Margot! I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility and wish we would have been offered the option to go straight to Ivf. We did three failed iui cycles, as required by our clinic, and then moved onto Ivf. I transferred two embryos and was blessed to have twins from that cycle. So, I am a big advocate of Ivf. I think it is much more successful than iui for most. I say go for it if you can !
Me: 32; DH: 35; TTC #1 23 months; 7/08 HSG All Clear, DX "Unexplained Infertility"
3 Cycles of Gonal F and IUI, all BFN :(

May-June IVF #1
5/11/09 Start taking Lupron
5/28/09 Start Stims
6/8/09 Egg Retrieval
6/13/09 5 day ET, tranferred 2 beautiful blasts, 3 snowbabies on ice.
HPT BFP on 6/21, 8dp5dt :) !!
Beta 10dp5dt: 239
Beta 12dp5dt: 568
Beta 16dp5dt: 3026
7/7 First U/S Showed 2 Sacs ! :0)
2/14/10 Boy Girl Twins Arrived via C Section
@ 38 weeks

Praying for Baby #3!
7/21/11 Start FET
8/24/11 Transfer Day
Beta 9dp6dt: 95, Beta 13dp5dt 816
Singleton ! HB 160