Anybody starting the IVF process in September?

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Re: Anybody starting the IVF process in September?

Postby Laney08 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:03 pm

Welcome BobsUK!

As BeinganAdultSucks said, this thread is a quieter one. The "Aug stims/Sept retrieval" and "Oct/Nov" threads seemed to have gained a bit more traction and I've been debating joining one of those for a few days now, but unfortunatley I seem to be between the two (too late for Aug, too early for Oct). If you're looking for a few companions you might have better luck over in "Oct..", but I'm also happy to keep you company here!

I hope your first two days of shots haven't been too terrible. Mine weren't too bad until they doubled my dose of menapur about halfway through. That one ended up stinging quite a bit with the extra powder mixed in. My hormones were also fine throughout, but man was I tired! I was sleeping 9-10 hours every night and still struggling at work. One day when I was home I managed to sleep for 9 hours and then after only being awake for 2 took a 4.5 hour nap. The drowsy side effects and lack of coffee is pretty brutal!

I just had my retrieval this morning (i'm currently snuggled into the couch letting my DH take care of me!). They managed to retrieve 21 eggs which is WAY more than I expected, so I'm looking forward to the fertilization numbers tomorrow!
TTC our 1st since 2013
Me - 29, no known issues
DH - 31, low morphology
Laney08

Postby BobsUK » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:24 pm

Thanks for the reply Laney08. A 4.5 hour 'nap'! That's hilarious! Day 2 injection went fine. I am feeling a bit tired but I worked all weekend so maybe it's just that :)
I read on the patient info leaflet that the FSH comes from Chinese Hamsters! Well that was a surprise but I'm not complaining.
How did the egg retrieval go? Did you have full GA or just sedation? I'm a tad nervous about that part. So glad your hubby is taking good care of you. 21 eggs is just awesome! Please let me know how things go over the next couple of days. Fingers & toes crossed for you.
BobsUK
Friend

Postby Laney08 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:04 am

Glad to hear you're not experiencing too many side effects yet. Hopefully they don't hit you at all (although I don't think mine kicked in until day 4 or 5 either :?)

The retrieval went really well. I was definitely knocked out. I remember climbing onto the operating table/bed, saying hello to the doctor, and then next thing I knew I was in recovery. I read from a few women here that they were sent home with vicodin, but my doctor said they don't give out such strong meds and only suggest Tylenol. They made a big deal about how if I'm in enough pain to need vicodin I need to call them ASAP. When I woke up in recovery I had some decent cramping - honestly I've had periods that have been worse so it wasn't unmanageable, but I let the nurse know I wasn't exactly comfortable. She said, "Well we can give you a percocet while you're here. But we can't send you home with any." Fine by me! I didn't want to regret giving it up a few hours later, so I took the one they offered, headed home, spent 4-5 hours very comfortably relaxing/sleeping, and by the time it wore off the pain was more like "discomfort" and Tylenol did the trick. And today I'm back at work. The whole thing was pretty easy.

The nurse also just called and said they actually retrieved 22 (not 21 as they told me yesterday), and 19 have been fertilized. These numbers seem insane to me given that in my last ultrasound my doctor reported 12 follicles, but I guess it's not really an exact science. They're looking at a Friday transfer. So now I wait... sans caffeine and alcohol...
TTC our 1st since 2013
Me - 29, no known issues
DH - 31, low morphology
Laney08

Postby txhoneybeemommy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:58 pm

I started this month and just found out that I wasn't pregnant today. It was very upsetting to find out. I was hoping beyond hopes. This was my first time with IVF. My RE didn't go crazy with high doses of injectables but I don't know if I should have asked for embryo glue or assisted hatching.

I was awake for my egg retrieval, just local anesthesia. The cramping after the procedure was definitely irritating but goes away after a day or so. The transfer was painless. The TWW was a bit nerve racking

I want to try again. I just keep staring at my little embryo pic and my ultrasound. I didn't know how emotional this was gonna be. I have 2 adult children when I was younger and married to my ex. So I'm trying to start a new family with new husband who doesn't have any children.
Me-45 (just old)
DH-27 (low count, great morph motility)

9/14/2015 Egg retrieval (2 mature eggs)
9/17/2015 Day 3 ET (one 6 cell, one 8 cell)
9/28/2015 failed 1st IVF, beta BFN (just found out today)
txhoneybeemommy

Postby BobsUK » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:27 pm

I've been told I'll just get light sedation rather than GA. It's one of the ways the clinic makes the procedure more affordable do its ok with me. Hopefully i'll just sleep through it! I've given up sugar & alcohol but am still having one coffee a day at this stage. I'll start the transition to decaf soon. Then I'll be vice free. My body may go into shock!!
TXhoneybeemommy, so sorry to hear it didn't work our for you this time. You must be devastated. I'm trying not to pin all my hopes on first time success but as the days pass I cant help but be fearful of it not working out. I'm in a similar situation with one 16 year old from a previous relationship. My partner is so keen to be a daddy.
Where are you both based?
BobsUK
BobsUK
Friend

Postby Laney08 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:16 am

TXhoneybee, I'm so sorry this cycle didn't work. I too am trying not to pin all my hopes on round 1, but often find myself feeling really optimistic. Then I have to rationalize, as I know that optimism could make a failure way worse.

I started progesterone last night. Everyone seemed to have a lot to say about that one so I was very nervous, but it didn't hurt any more (or less) than the darn menopur. It's definitely tolerable. I iced beforehand and heated afterwards. Seemed to help.

I'm in NYC. Admittedly, BobsUK, I have yet to really call it quits on sugar. Don't take away my chocolate!!! I'm reducing intake, but that's probably as good as it's going to get, especially without coffee or wine.
TTC our 1st since 2013
Me - 29, no known issues
DH - 31, low morphology
Laney08

Postby txhoneybeemommy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:35 pm

Thanks BobsUK and Laney08 for the support.

Laney08...I'm in NYC too! I live in NJ but commute to NYC for work.

I was never a drinker so the alcohol is not an issue. I hardly drink anyway. The sugar on the other hand is a whole new animal. I have a sweet tooth from hell when AF is about to start. That was the one sign that I knew my IVF cycle had failed. My cravings for sugar and sweets goes into overdrive just before AF starts.

I talked to my RE today to talk about this past cycle and I will see her tomorrow to do an ultrasound since I started AF yesterday. We may start meds again, up the dosages so we have more eggs that we might be able to freeze. I also found out that DH has low count, great motility and morph.

But DH confessed that he was dehydrated, had alcohol during that week leading up to egg retrieval, wasn't eating well. :x So that may account for low count but who knows. RE said he should have 10-15 million in order to get pregnant naturally. He's at 7.5 million.
Me-45 (just old)
DH-27 (low count, great morph motility)

9/14/2015 Egg retrieval (2 mature eggs)
9/17/2015 Day 3 ET (one 6 cell, one 8 cell)
9/28/2015 failed 1st IVF, beta BFN (just found out today)
txhoneybeemommy

Postby savylyjones » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:17 pm

@Laney08 I'm so glad you mentioned about the menopur stinging! I'm currently taking injectables of it now and it hurts like a mofo! I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one. Tonight was night 3 of injectables so I still have quite a few more to go. Egg retrieval is next week and transfer will be 5 days after that. I'm really hoping to be one of those "one and done" people with IVF, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.
savylyjones
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby BobsUK » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:33 pm

Well now I feel left out! I'm in Queensland, Australia but originally from England. I wondered why I wasn't familiar with a lot of the drugs you mentioned but now I know :)
BobsUK
Friend

Postby Laney08 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:51 pm

@Savylyjones - absolutely! None of the needles really hurt, but once the menapur started going in it burned like crazy!! Lucky for you - it probably means you'll be more prepared for the progesterone (which is probably of little consolation).

@txhoneybee - Hey neighbor!!!! I'm also commuting in from Westchester. My husband is itching to move to Jersey. We have a bunch of family in Montclair, Chatham, and Mendham, and for some reason he's randomly decided that he wants to live in Glen Rock (I have no clue why). I'm not quite ready to leave NY though.

@BobsUK - Australia!! I of course assumed you were in the UK! Both amazing places to live - I'm quite jealous. Not to say NYC isn't also amazing, but there are many MANY days when I could go for a beach and/or beautiful weather over subway stench. Totally random fact - my mother was OBSESSED with the Australian show Neighbours in the early 90s (we actually lived in Ireland for 4 years and they happened to broadcast the show there). I found out later that it is a soap opera and still runs with a totally new cast, although heaven forbid I try to convince her of that. She's appalled that anyone would refer to it as a soap opera, says it is higher quality than any soap opera America has every produced (which she considers absolute trash), and then goes into a nostalgia haze about how much she misses it (which also tends to veer into nostalgia over Ireland in general).
TTC our 1st since 2013
Me - 29, no known issues
DH - 31, low morphology
Laney08

Previous

Return to IVF