Sick before transfer and still hurting after retrieval

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Sick before transfer and still hurting after retrieval

Postby savylyjones » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:43 am

My embryo transfer is tomorrow and I'm sick as a dog. My sinuses and allergies are going crazy. I'm really hoping this doesn't mess up anything with the transfer or hurt the embryos they put in in any way. Has anyone else been sick during their transfer??

Also, how long does it normally take to feel back to normal after an egg retrieval? Mine was 4 days ago and my stomach is still bloated to the point I look 4 months pregnant. It's also still very sore and crampy. Anyone else take a little while to heal??
savylyjones
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: Sick before transfer and still hurting after retrieval

Postby MidwestGirl » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:08 pm

Sorry to hear you're feeling sick.

I think it's pretty common to have some bloating a few days after ER as the empty follicles fill back up with fluid. My experience was that I had that both times I did IVF. My first time, I had mild OHSS, and I gained about 8 lb after ER, had bloating and pelvic pain. These things improved gradually over 2 weeks. My doctor had me monitoring my weight closely during that time.

Regarding your other question about getting pregnant while feeling under the weather, I don't have personal experience with that, but there's a lady in the April/May 2015 thread who had a stomach flu during ET; her doctor did it anyway, and she got a BFP. If worse comes to worst, the clinic can freeze all your embies and do a FET when you're feeling better.

Either way, *baby dust* to you!
Me: 36, low progesterone/ovulatory dysfunction
DH: 41, healthy
19 months TTC #1
IVF Oct/Nov 2012, BFP! DD born at 41 weeks 1 day
13 months TTC #2, 1 year break, then 2 more months TTC
FET Jan 2015, BFN
Freeze-all IVF May 2015, 2 snowbabies
FET July 2015, BFP but m/c at 5w1d :angel:
FET Sept 2015, BFN
IVF with fresh tfr Sept 2016, BFP, DS born at 41 weeks
MidwestGirl
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby savylyjones » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:52 pm

Thanks so much! I'm glad to know these 6 pounds I've gained in 2 days is somewhat normal!
savylyjones
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby MidwestGirl » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:14 pm

I was told to call my doctor if I gained more than 5 lb in a day, had abdominal pain that didn't get better with Tylenol, started throwing up, or noticed very dark urine. When I put on the weight pretty rapidly, they gave me specific instructions about fluid intake, etc. Take care of yourself, and hopefully everything gets better within a few days!
Me: 36, low progesterone/ovulatory dysfunction
DH: 41, healthy
19 months TTC #1
IVF Oct/Nov 2012, BFP! DD born at 41 weeks 1 day
13 months TTC #2, 1 year break, then 2 more months TTC
FET Jan 2015, BFN
Freeze-all IVF May 2015, 2 snowbabies
FET July 2015, BFP but m/c at 5w1d :angel:
FET Sept 2015, BFN
IVF with fresh tfr Sept 2016, BFP, DS born at 41 weeks
MidwestGirl
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby savylyjones » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:26 pm

Thanks! During my transfer today he said I still had fluid built up around my ovaries and one of them was still pretty swollen so he's thinking/hoping it'll go down within the next few days.
savylyjones
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to IVF