IVF - All embryos arrested - help

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

IVF - All embryos arrested - help

Postby MALK2016 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Hello,

This was my first time doing IVF. Just turned 35. No major issues to report on my end and DH has so-so sperm quality (not great, but not hopeless either). Anyway, my egg retrieval was 6 days ago. They retrieved 30 eggs! 29 were mature. And 25 fertilized with ICSI. By Day 3, I got a really great report. Although 5 embryos weren't doing well (we fully expected those to arrest), the remaining 19-20 were pretty good. 7 of which were graded "excellent." Everyone was so hopeful. But by Day 5, I got the phone call that none of them made it to freeze (a frozen transfer was planned since I had such a high number of eggs and we wanted to avoid OHSS). I'm just at a loss how I could go from 25 embryos (especially having "excellent" quality ones in there) to going to ZERO.

Anyone experienced this or know anything that can help me understand?
MALK2016
Friend

Re: IVF - All embryos arrested - help

Postby Sunshinetex » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:58 pm

I am so sorry for you. That is very unusual, but the cell division that happens on day 4 is complex. Often times embryos do not make it to day 5. But, with 25 that is unusual.
Me - 41
BF - 39
TTC #1 - Sept 2012

Hsg October 2014 - blocked tube. Straight to ivf
Ivf #1 - feb 2015 - bfn
Ivf #2 -may 2015 -
5/7 - 10 eggs retrieved, 9 fertilized
5/12 - et. 5 day transfer - 1 blastocyst and 2 morulas - bfn
7/2 - surgery to remove/repair tubes - tubes cauterized
Ivf #3 - sept 2015
9/10 - 13 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized
9/15 - et 5 day transfer 3 blastocysts....
9/24 beta 152 9dp5dt
9/28 2nd beta 248 13 dp5dt
9/30 beta #3 468 15dp5dt
10/3 beta #4 1672 18dp5dt
10/9 u/s 1 baby
10/19 u/s 1 baby with heartbeat of 140. Due June 3, 2016.
Sunshinetex
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bbe » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:25 am

Just wanted to say I'm sorry. I haven't heard of this either. Some places think a 3 day transfer is better bc the embryos do better in the uterus.
Me 34 DH 36
Ttc 1 since 2008
MFI, and blocked left tube
2 IUIs bfns
1st mini ivf bfn
2nd mini ivf bfp
DD born 2012
Ttc 2 2013
3rd mini ivf bfp
Miscarriage 7.5 weeks

When He decrees an affair, He only says to it "Be" and it is. (Quran 19:35)
bbe
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby MALK2016 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:44 am

Thank you both for your response.
MALK2016
Friend

Postby Kbabygirls » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:01 am

If anything is inspiration for you maybe this will be. I only had 11 eggs retrieved. Only 4 were mature. None of the 4 got fertilized. The lab artificially matured 2 of the other eggs overnight. They performed icsi on them the next day. I had little hope but i prayed and asked all my support to pray. The next day, the doctor told me only one of 2 remaining eggs fertilized. Whew. I had one chance, but for this one fertilized egg to make it all the way to blastocyst stage would be a miracle. Doctor said if it doesn'the make it to blastocyst stage it won'the be a viable pregnancy. He said he will call when makes it to day 5. I've been praying all week for God to give the miracle of life to our one on only chance for this child that is genetically ours. I really don't believe i will do ivf again. I was praying the clinic did not call each day cuz if they called it meant it did not make it. Doctor said he would call Thursday. I wondered about that cuz Wednesday was 5 days after the 2 eggs they matured in the lab and the one egg got fertilized. Anyway they did call today, Wednesday, with good news...I thought my little zygote made it and is now an embryo...that was true but it was 2 not 1. I have 2 frozen embryos!!!!!

I think initially I was only relying on God a little bit. I was putting the success in this whole ivf operation on me to do all the things that were suggested to make great eggs AND on the clinic to do all their advanced science to make this work out...thinking of numbers and percentages. When I failed and the clinic failed I only had God to rely and trust in. Anything, especially miracles, is possible with God.

If you do another cycle maybe this will help. I think because you had such good results and they kept updating you that it was easier to rely on the results and the clinic to get the zygotes to blastocyst. Next time you can try to give the entire process and results to God every chance you get each day. I mean on your knees and believe that He wants for you to make your hearts desire come to life.
Kbabygirls
Friend

Postby Kiwi5 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:35 pm

I'm so sorry this happened to you. That must've been such an awful, unexpected shock. Have you had a follow up yet? I don't have personal experience with this but I have heard that the DNA from sperm take over from day 3 to 5 so often if they're doing well at day 3 and then you suddenly have nothing on day 5 this can be a sperm issue. There's some info on google about it and definitely other people who have experienced it, I think one of the things you can look up is sperm fragmentation.
Me: 33 - Mod endo, FSH 10.1
DH: 34 - Poor morph

IVF #1
Dec 26 - Cancelled x4 due to cysts.

27 Mar - ER 15, 13 mat, 13 fert
5 blasts, 4 PGS normal

FET #1
02 Jul - Transfer of one hatching 5 day blast!
13 Jul - Chem :angel:

06 Aug - Endo scratch

FET #2
11 Sep - Transferred our 2 day 5 frosties
21 Sep - BFN :(

24 Sep - MRI to check adenomyosis - normal

IVF #2
7 Oct - ER 19, 15 mat, 14 fert.
12 Oct - Transferred our last frostie & a fresh blast
6 blasts to freeze, 5 PGS normal
17 Oct - BFP 5dp5dt - YAY! :D
19 Oct - Early beta due to OHSS - 137 @ 7dp5dt!
22 Oct - Beta 518 @ 10dp5dt
29 Oct - Beta >5000 @ 17dp5dt
04 Nov - US at 6w0d = TWINS!! :hb: 104 & :hb: 107
11 Nov - :hb: 125 :hb: 139
18 Nov - :hb: 163 :hb: 163
Graduated to the OB!!
Kiwi5
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby MALK2016 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:57 am

You are so right, Kbabygirls. I was relying on the lab, science, medicine, and the fact that I thought I did everything I could to have "good" eggs. I hope there is a next time and if there is, it's all in God's hands.
MALK2016
Friend

Postby MALK2016 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:00 am

Kiwi5, our follow-up is tomorrow actually. I was actually searching sperm dna fragmentation before I read your post, but from what i'm reading, it seems that studies show that it doesn't have any effect on conceiving when ivf is being done. So i don't know. By the way, i'm happy for you that it worked on your second try. :)
MALK2016
Friend

Postby rubywoohoo » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:14 am

MALK2016, I just wanted to let you know that I am in a similar situation. I've completed two IVF cycles now, both with good numbers of eggs retreived (for my age - I just turned 40 - 17 retrieved first time and 13 second time). Our ICSI fertilisation rates were fine also, and embryo growth to about day 3. However, all of the embryos arrested between day 3 and 5, with no blastocysts.

Our first FS said the problem was just my advanced age and recommended donor eggs. We decided to get a second opinion. Our new FS is doing more investigations - he says that my age is definitely a factor, but the big issue here could be a sperm chromosome issue, for which we're doing SCSA and FISH tests... or it could be both of us. Next cycle (scheduled for Jan/Feb) we're trying absolutely everything we can to improve egg and sperm quality.

How did your follow-up meeting go?
rubywoohoo

Postby MALK2016 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:29 pm

rubywoohoo - I'm interested in learning more about the SCSA and FISH tests. I brought up genetic testing to my RE during the follow-up, however, he said its so rare that anything comes up, so its not worth the effort. And even if you find something, he said that it wouldn't necessarily change our options. Meaning, if something comes up as positive, it doesn't mean that every single embryo would have that particular chromosomal problem. That basically its all about odds and the more you try, you'll eventually get a good embryo. He said some people might have to go through 10 embryos before they get a good one. Some will have to go through 100 before they get a good one (So re-assuring, right??) That's all I got out of the follow-up. He couldn't tell us what went wrong. He said it could have been my eggs, could have been the sperm, could be anything, we'll never know. I wonder if he over-prescribed me meds that affected my egg quality. That's the most frustrating part because how am I supposed to go into another cycle, spend $15k again, not knowing what went wrong in the first place, and just hope that it goes right the second time? I can't do that. I need answers. I'm going to a different RE tomorrow for a consultation. Hoping a fresh set of eyes can tell me something.

Did you get any answers from the SCSA and FISH tests? Is it expensive?
MALK2016
Friend

Postby Cegomes1129 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:38 pm

MALK, I'd like to chime in as your story sounds very similar to mine.

I've completed 3 unsuccessful IVF cycles. Each cycle was text book until the end when my embryos would start to arrest. After 3 cycles we have retrieved a total of 47 eggs, but not one has ever made it to freeze. After the 3rd attempt my doctor order a chromosome test and it turns out I have a robertsonian balanced translocation of chromosome 13/14.

The diagnosis won't necessarily change the protocol, but my doctor knows she needs to push me as far as possible next round to produce as many eggs as we can. She thinks maybe 1 in 10 will be viable. It isn't a diagnosis we wanted to hear but at least I FINALLY know what the problem is after 3 years of TTC.

Next cycle in February we will do PGD assuming we have anything to freeze, hopefully we do this time!

Good luck to you!
Me:31
DH:32
TTC Since: April 2013
Unexplained Infertility

5/2014 IUI #1 Clomid 100mg, Ovidrel trigger -- BFN
6/2014 IUI #2 Clomid 100 mg, Ovidrel trigger -- BFN
1/2015 -- Switched RE
6/5 -- Started IVF cycle with 150 Gonal F, 10mg low dose HCG and Cetrotide
6/18 -- ER (9 eggs 7 mature, 4 fertilized)
6/21 -- Transferred 1 embryo day 3
7/3 -- BFN
August 2015 IVF #2
8/19 - ER (19 retreived, 10 fertilized)
8/24- ET one day 5 morula (didn't make to blast) zero to freeze
9/3 - beta BFN
November/December 2015 IVF #3 - BFN
December 2015, Diagnosed with Robertsonian Balanced Translocation 13/14
January 2016 IVF #4 - BFN
Cegomes1129

Postby MALK2016 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:12 am

Hi Cegomes - I'm sure you're getting ready to start your next cycle. Just wanted to say good luck to you on your next try. Hope to hear good news from you. :)
MALK2016
Friend

Postby Lisyonok » Sun May 15, 2016 11:17 pm

Good luck!
Lisyonok

Postby new_ivf » Sun May 22, 2016 3:28 am

My clinic only does 3-day transfers (if the woman does not have physical issues cysts or whatnot), because my doc said that the fertilized egg really does much better in the uterus (more similar to the natural conception process)

Maybe this is something to also consider or talk to the doctor about?? The 2 embryos that I had transferred were top (A) quality, but they were only 2-cell I think (so much less developed compared to the typical 4-8 cell blasto that is often transferred)
Me: 40, DH: 39
Me: No issues (other than age), DH: Poor sperm shape & Prolactinoma (he's medicated for it)
TTC for 1 year (married late!)
1st IVF ICSI round April 2016
Protocol (Menopur 300 for about 9 days, Orgalutron 3 mornings + Ovitrelle trigger)
EC: (April 16th) 14 eggs collected, 8 Fertilized,
Transferred: 2 3-day, grade A (2 & 3 cell)
Froze: 6 remaining 3-day embies
new_ivf

Return to IVF