How many eggs should we fertilize?!

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

How many eggs should we fertilize?!

Postby tjdavidstone » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:48 am

Good Morning Ladies! So just a little info... I'm 29, DH is 31 with severe MFI. I am currently on day 4 of stims. When I had my initial IVF consultation I told my RE how my husband and I were uncomfortable with making more embryo's than we planned on using, she then told me that that was completely normal and we would be able to chose how many we wanted to fertilize (ICSI) and then I would freeze any left over eggs. I realize that everything's in the dark right now and we have no idea how I am going to respond in the first place but I like to be prepared! So my question is this.... I would like to hear from other ladies who have opted to do this and what their outcomes were or similarly ladies who only were able to produce few eggs. It has been such a struggle for us, obviously we want to have success. Thanks in advance!
TTC #1 for 2 years
Me: 28
DH: 31- Severe MFI

IUI #1: 12/12/2015 w/ 100mg Clomid & Trigger ....BFN
IVF #1 ER 02/03/2016: Fresh transfer cancelled.
Premature Ovulation, Only 1 egg retrieved. Grade 5AB Embryo made it to freeze! :D
FET #1 Transfer on 3/29/2016.... BFP!!
9DP5DT Beta #1: 22
11DP5DT Beta #2: 87
13 DP5DT Beta #3: 315
04/27/2016: Heart beat 112!
tjdavidstone
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: How many eggs should we fertilize?!

Postby Mama-in-cahoots » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:44 pm

Hello... That's a difficult question as every situation is different. Perhaps wait and see how many eggs are retrieved first and of those, how many are mature. This may help you decide a percentage.

We also have severe MFI, first IVF with ICSI... I had 10 eggs retrieved, 8 were mature and of the 8, 6 fertilised. I had two perfect looking embryos transfers on day 3 and 4 frozen. Neither embryos emplanted and for our FET, no embryos made the thaw, so we were left with nothing but a big hole in our pocket.

So from my own experience, you never know from the fertilised embryos whether they are viable or not and in my case, none of them were. Had we waited for 5 day blast stage, probably none of them would have survived and then a lot time would have been saved, although still devastating.

Perhaps think about a few different scenarios, if you get >10, >15 or >20 this may help you prepare.

Wishing you all the luck with your cycle :babydustg:
About us:
Me - 36 - Ovarian cysts and Endo
DH - 43 - Low motility
DD born 06/2012
TTC#2 since July 2013

IUI x4 All BFN

IVF #1 ICSI
19 March '15 - BFN
FET
May 12 - embryos arrested

Natural BFP!!!
Natural loss 9 weeks

IVF #2- ICSI
February '16 -BFN

April 29 - Full Immune/Genetic testing
Diagnosed with Thrombophilia with MTHFR Mutation

Dec '16 Surgery to remove Endo

IUI #5
Jan '17 - BFN

IVF #3- ICSI
6dp5dt - BFP :jump:

Daily: Heparin / Aspirin / Prednisolone/ Folate / PIO

Mama-in-cahoots
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby EvergreenGal » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:26 pm

One thing to think of is that you may want more children down the road. One of my friends was lucky enough to have four healthy embryos. She used two while trying to conceive her son, and plans to go back and try for a sibling for him using the others in a year or two. If you're thinking of having more children later you may want to have a few more fertilized so that you have a good chance of growing healthy embryos for this round, and if you end up with one or two more than you need this time, you can then return to them to grow your family later. :)

Just to give an idea of how crummy the odds can be for some people, over three cycles, they collected 40 eggs from me. Of those 40, (using ICSI) 23 fertilized over the three cycles. Of those 23 fertilized eggs over three cycles, we wound up with only two healthy 5-day blastocysts. We're going to transfer one of them this week. I wish I had a few more chances rather than only two. That said, I am older than you (37), so it is likely that my eggs are a bit funky compared with yours. ;)
EvergreenGal

Postby LittleRed117 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:26 am

DH and I are going through this dilemma right now also. I have no idea what to do.. it's such a big risk only fertilizing 2 max and not knowing if it will work.
TTC 02/2014

Me: 26
DH: 26
LittleRed117

Postby Amouna87 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:03 am

I didn't have that issue in that I only produced five- FIVE!!! Eggs lol and out of the 5, 3 fertilised and two made it to day 5, but one didn't make it to freeze. So we transferred the one and only we had and thank God I am now 12weeks pregnant, so in one sense you never ever know if the blast will take or not/if it will make it to day 5 or day 3/if any will be left to freeze- so i would personally freeze a whole lot if you have any. With me and DH obviously if we have to do ivf again, we would be starting from scratch as we had none frozen but praying that we won't have to do it again xxxx
When the world says "give up", hope whispers "try it one more time"
2 years TTC #1
Me (28) DH (28)
Me: So far so good thank God
DH- Low morphology (2%) & slightly below average count (18mill/ml) everything else okay

HSG Feb 15: All good

Always praying so hard for our BFP!

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/45f043
Amouna87
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Amouna87 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:04 am

Evergreengal good luck on your transfer!! Xxxx
When the world says "give up", hope whispers "try it one more time"
2 years TTC #1
Me (28) DH (28)
Me: So far so good thank God
DH- Low morphology (2%) & slightly below average count (18mill/ml) everything else okay

HSG Feb 15: All good

Always praying so hard for our BFP!

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/45f043
Amouna87
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Mama-in-cahoots » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:41 pm

Amouna - congratulations on your pregnancy!

This was an old post from Jan 2016 :D
About us:
Me - 36 - Ovarian cysts and Endo
DH - 43 - Low motility
DD born 06/2012
TTC#2 since July 2013

IUI x4 All BFN

IVF #1 ICSI
19 March '15 - BFN
FET
May 12 - embryos arrested

Natural BFP!!!