Does IVF skew ratio of BOYS? What about using ICSI??

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Does IVF skew ratio of BOYS? What about using ICSI??

Postby new_ivf » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:03 am

Hello! Brand new to the forum. I will be starting my first IVF cycle in April and have some questions!

I have read that IVF increases odds of having a baby BOY versus a Girl (possibly because male embryos are "fitter" to survive the process, better adapting to the lab solutions)? Is this true?

However, I have also read that using the ICSI (sperm selection/injection method) along with implantation within the 2-3-day stage can increase the chances of having a GIRL.... (My husband & I are doing ICSI because of poor sperm morphology/shape.)

I am happy either way to have a healthy baby, but I really want an "equal-opportunity" chance of having a Girl!! Does anyone have any current research or feedback on this?
Me: 40, DH: 39
Me: No issues (other than age), DH: Poor sperm shape & Prolactinoma (he's medicated for it)
TTC for 1 year (married late!)
1st IVF ICSI round April 2016
Protocol (Menopur 300 for about 9 days, Orgalutron 3 mornings + Ovitrelle trigger)
EC: (April 16th) 14 eggs collected, 8 Fertilized,
Transferred: 2 3-day, grade A (2 & 3 cell)
Froze: 6 remaining 3-day embies
new_ivf

Re: Does IVF skew ratio of BOYS? What about using ICSI??

Postby EvergreenGal » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:17 pm

Somebody actually has an informal poll about the sex of ivf babies up among the permanent threads on this board. At least from that small sample, the split seems pretty even. :)
EvergreenGal

Return to IVF