More IUIs or IVF...how to play the numbers game

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

More IUIs or IVF...how to play the numbers game

Postby Puddles-O-Cuddles » Wed May 11, 2016 6:52 am

Hey ladies,
I'm 14 days post my first IUI, and this mornings BFN has DH and I thinking about our next cycle.
(I'm going to use our REs statistics and costs for our clinic, so they may be a little different than the national average)

Our insurance doesn't cover much for reproductive assistance, so each IUI costs us about $1k out of pocket (total, including follicle scans, etc.) and has between an 8-20% chance of working each time.

IVF at our clinic would cost us between $6-8k out of pocket, with a 65% chance of working each time.

DHs sperm is ok, but not Stupendous, and I have cystic ovaries and slightly longish cycles, but otherwise O on my own and both of my tubes are open.

At what point do we make the gamble to keep doing IUIs with a lowish chance of them taking, vs. a higher investment but higher likelihood that IVF would take.

I would love to hear opinions from anyone who has laid out these same kind of odds and just hear what your decision making process was. DH and I only have our point of view, and would love to hear what some other folks have to say. Thank you so much for your input!
Me, 32; Mild Endo, cystic ovaries, wonky hormones
DH, 32; High count, low motility % and low morphology
TTC #1 since Summer '15

IUI with Clomid(100mg), Estridol - April 2016 - BFN
IVF/FET #1- July/August/September - 2 embryo transfer -
BFN with no frozen embryos left
IVF/FET #2- November/December - Single embryo transfer scheduled for Dec 21st!
5dpt BFP! Beta #1 9dpo: 39.9; Beta #2 12dpo 135!
m/c at 7 weeks.
FET#3 scheduled for March 14th
Puddles-O-Cuddles
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Re: More IUIs or IVF...how to play the numbers game

Postby Danaa » Wed May 11, 2016 9:24 am

Hey there and I'm sorry about ur failed IUI.Both of the procedures are stressful and emotionally draining,i think you have to ask urself if ur ready to go trough multiple IUI's or IVF.IUI are more efficient when there is a sperm problem and or ovulation problem.I have been in ur situation and I choosed IVF bcs i thought about it this way,if IVF won't work then IUI wouldn't have either and i much rather have one procedure with the highest chances than have multiples procedures with low chances,not sure if im makinn any sense but I hope this helped you a bit.Good luck and follow your heart.
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Puddles-O-Cuddles » Wed May 11, 2016 10:13 am

Dana, That's a great response, and pretty precisely the kind of input I was hoping to generate! Thank you so much for your input : )
TTC #1 since Summer '15

m/c at 7 weeks.
Puddles-O-Cuddles
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Danaa » Wed May 11, 2016 10:19 am

Puddles-O-Cuddles wrote:Dana, That's a great response, and pretty precisely the kind of input I was hoping to generate! Thank you so much for your input : )

Your welcome,I'm happy to help!!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LadyDee23 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:05 pm

Based on my own situation, I would have to agree with Danaa. My DH and I tried one round of IUI, but I actually regret not going directly to IVF with ICSI. Although IUI was covered for us, we have MF infertility and our chances with IUI were so slim to begin with. We are currently in our TWW of our first IVF/ICSI cycle. Of course, don't forget that IVF is no guarantee either. I falsely believed that IVF would provide us multiple chances at a BFP as I assumed we would have multiple embryos (some to freeze). In our case, we ended up with one embryo to transfer and we have no frozen embryos for a future FET. Therefore, there is a very real possibility that we will have to do another round of IVF/ICSI if this month is not successful...another significant amount of money out of pocket. Ultimately, there's no right or wrong answer!
Me: 34 DH: 42 with severe MFI
TTC #1 since April 2010
March 2015: Failed IUI with Clomid
IVF #1 starting May 2016: suprefact, gonal-f, ovidrel
ER 12 eggs retrieved, 10 mature, 6 fertilized with ICSI
5 day transfer 1 good quality embryo, none made it to freeze
BFP!
LadyDee23

Postby Puddles-O-Cuddles » Wed May 11, 2016 5:49 pm

Lady Dee, that's how DH and I are feeling. DHs SA is ok, but not great...ok numbers, but poor motility and morphology. He's been put on some vitamins and supplaments that will hopefully help, but his sperm + my cystic ovaries, and some hormonal wonkiness is 2 strikes against us. Our insurance doesn't cover much if any repro assistance, so this is all out of pocket for us. I was hesitant (and felt weird about feeling so unsure) about going to IUI...only because the numbers seemed daunting. It was a fair amount of money for a lowish chance of conception. At least with IVF there is much less left to chance, and I'll know we're giving it all we've got. It's a lot of money, but at least the numbers are much more on our side...recognizing, of course, that IVF is no guarantee, as you said. I feel better about investing more money in higher odds.
Thank you so much for your input! And I hope this embryo is super sticky for you!
TTC #1 since Summer '15

m/c at 7 weeks.
Puddles-O-Cuddles
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby new_ivf » Sun May 22, 2016 3:03 am

Our doctor suggested we SKIP IUI because of our Age (40) and MFI. The changes of IUI are MUCH MUCH lower and it is just as stressful as doing IVF, because you still have to do the injections, the two week wait, etc and it probably WONT WORK (unless you are young and have no Male Factor infertility)!

If we were younger and insurance covered it, we would've tried maybe 1 or 2 IUIs, but they say also that your chances significantly decline after 1-2 tries of IUI.

IVF simply has the higher chances of success, and you may also get some extra eggs to freeze (I had 5 that successfully fertilized and were frozen) So that you can always go back and do frozen transfers. Good luck!
Me: 40, DH: 39
Me: No issues (other than age), DH: Poor sperm shape & Prolactinoma (he's medicated for it)
TTC for 1 year (married late!)
1st IVF ICSI round April 2016
Protocol (Menopur 300 for about 9 days, Orgalutron 3 mornings + Ovitrelle trigger)
EC: (April 16th) 14 eggs collected, 8 Fertilized,
Transferred: 2 3-day, grade A (2 & 3 cell)
Froze: 6 remaining 3-day embies
new_ivf

Return to IVF