First time poster- need some advice

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

First time poster- need some advice

Postby SSbaby » Thu May 12, 2016 8:55 pm

Hello out there. My husband & I are in the midst of an IVF/FET cycle and I need to make a major decision quickly and was hoping to get some sage advice from some ladies that are going through IVF or have been through it. First a little background....
I'm 40 going on 41 next month (gulp). Hubby is 48.
We've been married a long time & had tried for over a decade (off and on) to get pregnant.
I have endometriosis and had two surgeries and as a result I only have 1 ovary.
Had multiple fertility consults and finally pulled the trigger on our first IVF in the fall of 2014. Unfortunately it was unsuccessful. Produced 4 eggs - 3 fertilized- had one decent blast at day 5- other 2 were questionable. They implanted all 3. Negative preg test.
We switched clinics and just got through our stim / egg retrieval a month ago. This time they upped my meds- produced 6 eggs. 3 fertilized- the other 3 were too small to icsi. Two made it to blast day 5. Froze them and sent them for chromosomal testing. Got the best news after 14 days of pins and needles.... Both were normal!!!!!
Now the decision point.... Do we implant one or both????
The clinic recommends 1 as they try to avoid twins due to the increased complications they bring medically. I would love to have twins & so would the hubby but don't want to do something to potentially put them (or me) in harms way. I also don't relish the idea of doing this all again in 2+years when I'm 43+. Just because we've been on this journey so long. We will def implant both - it's just a matter of when. We were really hoping for 2 kids so the idea of a "one and done" is very tempting. Of course none of this is a given so I just pray we get pregnant and have a healthy baby at all - but 2 healthy babies would be my dream!! Oh and we also know their gender and blast grades (5ab and 6cc) so both are very close from a grade perspective.
Any advice out there would be so greatly appreciated. I need to tell the clinic by Mon-at the latest- what the plan is.
Thanks in advance for the help and best wishes to all those in cycle!!!
SSbaby

Re: First time poster- need some advice

Postby Danaa » Fri May 13, 2016 3:07 am

Hello and welcome.you have a very difficult choice to make but in the end you have to follow ur heart!!I will have IVF myself in the next 2months or so and I'm determined to get twins Bcs I really don't want to go trough all of this process again and bcs we can't afford more than one round.I think you have to think really hard if you are ready 100% for twins and if you do transfer just one you are ready to go trough the process one more time.Is a very hard decision.Of course you chose to transfer just one and if you get pregnant you can give ur baby a sibling next year,I don't lol.I wish you good luck !!!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ABelle » Tue May 17, 2016 1:26 pm

What did you end up deciding??
Me {Anne}- 33 :hi: (Hypothyroidism, Single A1298C MTHFR, Endometriosis, ANA neg)
DH- 42. (amazeballs) :wiggle:
Married since 2005. TTC 60 months before finally getting our positive!

2 Lap Surgeries, 3 HSGs, 4 rounds of Clomid, 3 IUI's, 1 IVF cancelled (cysts) = all :bfn:

ABelle
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SSbaby » Sun May 22, 2016 8:32 am

So we ended up deciding to put both in. We are looking to do the transfer in a couple of weeks. Just restarted lupron last week. Probably start progesterone shots in a week or so. Hoping to have two happy healthy little ones in Feb! Fingers crossed!
SSbaby

Postby ABelle » Sun May 22, 2016 8:54 am

Best of luck to you!
Me {Anne}- 33 :hi: (Hypothyroidism, Single A1298C MTHFR, Endometriosis, ANA neg)
DH- 42. (amazeballs) :wiggle:
Married since 2005. TTC 60 months before finally getting our positive!

2 Lap Surgeries, 3 HSGs, 4 rounds of Clomid, 3 IUI's, 1 IVF cancelled (cysts) = all :bfn:

ABelle
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MidwestGirl » Mon May 23, 2016 6:26 pm

First of all, good luck!! I see you've already made your decision but I thought I'd post anyway because there's probably someone else out there who has the same question.

FET is a much, much less disruptive process (both for your body and for your schedule) than IVF, so if you fear having to do it all again in a couple of years but have frozen embryos, it's not the same burden. The other thing I wanted to throw out there is that there are guidelines for how many embryos they recommend for women of different ages with different reproductive histories. ASRM is the organization that publishes these guidelines, and you can find them with a Google search. For ladies 40-41, 2 embryos would be on the low end of the recommendations, so if I were in your shoes I wouldn't hesitate.
Me: 36, low progesterone/ovulatory dysfunction
DH: 41, healthy
19 months TTC #1
IVF Oct/Nov 2012, BFP! DD born at 41 weeks 1 day
13 months TTC #2, 1 year break, then 2 more months TTC
FET Jan 2015, BFN
Freeze-all IVF May 2015, 2 snowbabies
FET July 2015, BFP but m/c at 5w1d :angel:
FET Sept 2015, BFN
IVF with fresh tfr Sept 2016, BFP, DS born at 41 weeks
MidwestGirl
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby SSbaby » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:37 am

Ok ladies- we did the transfer on Sunday & I'm totally freaking out. I started second guessing everything I'm doing as of Sunday & haven't stopped. Yesterday I discovered I was only taking half of the steroid I was supposed to & now I think I might be a day off on finishing my antibiotic too. I don't know how I got these things so confused!!! My nurse said the important thing is my estrogen & progesterone so I should be fine but I'm just freaking out. We came so far - I just don't want to mess anything up. I feel like this could be my last chance. Plus now I feel like I'm cramping & I'm worried it's my period. I'm due Mon. Pregnancy test is ordered for Tues-a week today. I'm so tempted to go take a home test but I know it's too soon. I need to find a way to calm down. Any tips?
SSbaby

Return to IVF