IVF

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

IVF

Postby MMartyK » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:35 pm

Hi! I am gathering info for IVF. We will start the process of our first cycle of IVF in December. Injections will start in January. I'm trying to learn everything I can before hand. I have a class I'm going to at the RE next week. In the past I never ovulated unless I was doing injections. After multiple miscarriages and complications, I naturally conceived two children. This last time I have done IUI and Clomid 250mg 3 times. All BFN. DH's SA was normal. HSG was clear. I have a history of PCOS. I produced 3-4 eggs each cycle. Any thoughts on what could be causing me to not get pregnant? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how IVF will be more successful if we don't know why I'm not getting pregnant. Any insight would be great.

Thank you!
Me (32)
DH (33)
TTC # 3 (DD -5 years, DS-4 years)
Hx PCOS and recurrent Miscarriage

PAST
3 m/c (1 natural, 2 medicated)
Clomid x4 BFN
Injectables/IUI x 3 (2 BFP, 2 m/c)
-Naturally had 2 kids after this

NOW
Clomid 250mg/Glucophage/IUI x3=BFN
Will start IVF #1 in Dec/Jan
MMartyK

Re: IVF

Postby mimimama » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:35 am

Hi, I am sorry for your losses. Have you discussed with yr doc reasons why you can't get pregnant? Have you thought on doing additional tests, eg karyotype. If you can't get pregnant cos of implantation issues, yr doc might combine ivf with PGS NGS/PGD. I would recommend that you dig deeper to find out why you can't conceive. Good luck and a positive result
Me 31, DH 40. TTC 5 years. Unexplained infertility.
December 2015- IVF #1 BFN
May/June 2016- new doctor, IVF consultation in Gdansk Poland
October 2016- IVF #2 Invicta BFP!!!
mimimama
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Puddles-O-Cuddles » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:18 am

Hey MMarty!
I'm so sorry for your losses.
The good news is you've gotten pregnant (both with your miscarriages and your 2 children)...I agree with Mimi that pressing doctors to pinpoint why you aren't keeping the pregnancies is an important step.
How long have you been trying (after your children?) And have your miscarriages been while you were under medical supervision (it looks like your M/cs have been while you were doing medicated cycles) And have they also been prior to conceiving and carrying your two "natural" babies?
Me, 32; Mild Endo, cystic ovaries, wonky hormones
DH, 32; High count, low motility % and low morphology
TTC #1 since Summer '15

IUI with Clomid(100mg), Estridol - April 2016 - BFN
IVF/FET #1- July/August/September - 2 embryo transfer -
BFN with no frozen embryos left
IVF/FET #2- November/December - Single embryo transfer scheduled for Dec 21st!
5dpt BFP! Beta #1 9dpo: 39.9; Beta #2 12dpo 135!
m/c at 7 weeks.
FET#3 scheduled for March 14th
Puddles-O-Cuddles
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby MMartyK » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:32 am

Thanks girls! I have a IVF meeting with the nurse on Thursday to go over all the treatment plans and schedule etc...Unfortunately, I don't think they have any reasons on why I had miscarriages in the past. We have done a full panel for labs, HSG, exploratory surgery etc...Everything came up normal. I do have PCOS and that's what they attribute to not ovulating. We have been trying for about 11 months now. We have done three medicated cycles of Clomid. I surprisingly ovulated on it this time. In the past I had my first miscarriage in a normal cycle after trying for about 9 months. The other two miscarriages came when we did injectables with IUI. I then had two surprising pregnancies after that. I haven't had any miscarriages since then.

The part that concerns me is if I ovulated doing the Clomid, why am I not getting pregnant. Each time I produced 2-4 eggs. My DH's SA was normal. I'm just worried about how will IVF help if it didn't work when I'm already ovulating on meds. Sorry for the rambling lol. Thanks!
Me (32)
DH (33)
TTC # 3 (DD -5 years, DS-4 years)
Hx PCOS and recurrent Miscarriage

PAST
3 m/c (1 natural, 2 medicated)
Clomid x4 BFN
Injectables/IUI x 3 (2 BFP, 2 m/c)
-Naturally had 2 kids after this

NOW
Clomid 250mg/Glucophage/IUI x3=BFN
Will start IVF #1 in Dec/Jan
MMartyK

Postby Puddles-O-Cuddles » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:43 pm

If everything came back normal for you, aside from non-ovulatory cycles, and dhs SA was fine, then your odds of an IUI working becomes the same as a "normal fertile couple" conceiving in a cycle...which is a depressing number to see at around 10%. Since the IUIs didn't take, it makes sense that they'd want to move for IVF as a general next step. To answer "why would IVF work when the iuis didn't?" Is because IVF just works!! As in, if you took that perfectly normal couple who have a 10% chance of conceiving naturally each cycle and then do IVF with them, Their chances automatically become something like 60-80%!
Since, at least on paper, all is well with you and DH, aside from non-ovulatory cycles, You are great candidates for successful IVF, because there isn't anything majorly wrong...just wonky cycles that IVF effectively "overrides". Does that make sense?
Me, 32; Mild Endo, cystic ovaries, wonky hormones
DH, 32; High count, low motility % and low morphology
TTC #1 since Summer '15

IUI with Clomid(100mg), Estridol - April 2016 - BFN
IVF/FET #1- July/August/September - 2 embryo transfer -
BFN with no frozen embryos left
IVF/FET #2- November/December - Single embryo transfer scheduled for Dec 21st!
5dpt BFP! Beta #1 9dpo: 39.9; Beta #2 12dpo 135!
m/c at 7 weeks.
FET#3 scheduled for March 14th
Puddles-O-Cuddles
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Return to IVF