Embryo Advice- Please help!

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Embryo Advice- Please help!

Postby FutureBabyBee » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:01 am

I went through my first IVF cycle in September. I am 27 with PCOS/hypothyroid. DH is 32 with MFI. TTC 4.5 years. We had19 eggs collected, 15 mature, 12 fertilized with ICSI. 5 blasts were biopsied for pgs testing and frozen. 4 came back normal. All are graded BB and BC.

My husband and I are agonizing over how many to transfer. My RE recommended one due to my age, but said he would do two if we wanted. Has anybody transferred embryos of this quality? Anybody do two pgs embryos? If anyone has any insight I'd greatly appreciate it. My FET is underway right now, scheduled for mid December.
Me- 26 dx PCOS, Hypothyroid
DH- 31 dx Low motility and morphology
TTC #1 for 4 years

IUI 1: Femara 5 mg, ovidrel, 1 mature follicle/ 9 million post wash BFN
IUI 2: Femara 7.5 mg, ovidrel, 1 mature follicle/ 13 million post wash BFN
IUI 3: Femara 7.5 mg, Follistim 75iu 5-9, 3 mature follicles/ 25 million post wash BFN
IUI 4: Femara 7.5 mg, Gonal F, Poor response, cancelled.

IVF: July 2016
FutureBabyBee
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: Embryo Advice- Please help!

Postby Danaa » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:31 am

If you are ok with having twins I say go for two but if you and your husband think you will not be able to care for two babies at once i wouldn't do it.
Transferring two embryos especially pgs tested will offer you a high chance of twins.
Only you and your husband can make this decision.
Personally I transferred two on my first FET and im transferring two this December,im ok with twins actually we want twins!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby FutureBabyBee » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:47 am

We would welcome twins also, it's the triplet risk that scares me. My RE warned me that there is an extra risk with embryos that have been cultured longer and manipulated (pgs biopsy). I'm so torn! It's such a hard decision, one I haven't taken lightly. Thank you very much for your response and insight! Best wishes and prayers for your FET.
Me- 26 dx PCOS, Hypothyroid
DH- 31 dx Low motility and morphology
TTC #1 for 4 years

IUI 1: Femara 5 mg, ovidrel, 1 mature follicle/ 9 million post wash BFN
IUI 2: Femara 7.5 mg, ovidrel, 1 mature follicle/ 13 million post wash BFN
IUI 3: Femara 7.5 mg, Follistim 75iu 5-9, 3 mature follicles/ 25 million post wash BFN
IUI 4: Femara 7.5 mg, Gonal F, Poor response, cancelled.

IVF: July 2016
FutureBabyBee
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Danaa » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:58 am

Thank you!!Good luck to you too!!
Yep the risk of multiples is high:))) I didn't wanted to scare you hahahaha!!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Puddles-O-Cuddles » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:36 am

So, no matter what, this is a choice that all boils down to what you and your dh feel is best.
I think it's very easy to want to transfer two embryos if the option is there...you've been trying for so long, wanting a baby for so long and what could be better than having one baby? (Answer:having two babies!!) Right?!?

But it wasn't until I swapped clinics and spoke with my new RE who said, unless my embryos were of poor quality, she will NOT transfer more than one embryo because "she has seen too many families face heartbreak with twins"...at first I was bummed that I wouldn't have the option, but the more I thought about what she had said the more it made me understand.
This is completely just my opinion after having one egg retrieval that only resulted in two blastocysts that we transferred at the same time, and neither stuck...but if I had 4 healthy embryos and was an otherwise healthy 20-something, I would transfer one at a time. You didn't mention how many babies you'd ideally like to have, but with 4 embryos, you can always transfer two another time...And you're right, the more "extra" stuff your embryos have endured in their short existence, the more likely they are to split and create identicles.
I guess what I'm saying is, in retrospect, when I only had 2 embryos to work with I feel a bit like I blew the opportunity to have one baby two times in exchange for trying to have two (or only one) baby once. In wanting to have a healthy baby in your life, would you rather have the chance to have 2 (or one) baby/ies twice, or one baby four times? Does that make sense?
I hope my little ramble gave you another opinion to think over. Good luck to you and your dh in making this choice!
Me, 32; Mild Endo, cystic ovaries, wonky hormones
DH, 32; High count, low motility % and low morphology
TTC #1 since Summer '15

IUI with Clomid(100mg), Estridol - April 2016 - BFN
IVF/FET #1- July/August/September - 2 embryo transfer -
BFN with no frozen embryos left
IVF/FET #2- November/December - Single embryo transfer scheduled for Dec 21st!
5dpt BFP! Beta #1 9dpo: 39.9; Beta #2 12dpo 135!
m/c at 7 weeks.
FET#3 scheduled for March 14th
Puddles-O-Cuddles
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Puddles-O-Cuddles » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:02 am

I just got word that this last retrieval yielded 4 frozen embryos. 3 "good" quality and 1 "fair". So we are literally in the same boat now!
I just wanted you to know that I'm taking my own advice. Depending on how many babies "stick" after single transfers, we'll see if we transfer the two poorest quality embryos together when I'm over 35 (I'm 33in December) or if we feel that our family is complete. Either way, I just wanted you to feel like you aren't alone!
Happy Thanksgiving!!
Me, 32; Mild Endo, cystic ovaries, wonky hormones
DH, 32; High count, low motility % and low morphology
TTC #1 since Summer '15

IUI with Clomid(100mg), Estridol - April 2016 - BFN
IVF/FET #1- July/August/September - 2 embryo transfer -
BFN with no frozen embryos left
IVF/FET #2- November/December - Single embryo transfer scheduled for Dec 21st!
5dpt BFP! Beta #1 9dpo: 39.9; Beta #2 12dpo 135!
m/c at 7 weeks.
FET#3 scheduled for March 14th
Puddles-O-Cuddles
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Sauce » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:50 pm

Hi Future! I just wanted to chime in with my experience. We did PGS testing before our FET. Ended up with 8 "normal" embryos. Their quality was "good not great," mostly Bs. I ended up transferring the highest quality one, which I believe was a B+/A-. I ended up pregnant! We decided to transfer one because we felt like I had a fairly high chance of conceiving, given my age and the fact that we knew these were genetically normal embryos. Had I not conceived on my first try we may have considered transferring two on the next try.

Whatever you decide, it sounds like the odds are in your favor! When I was concerned about our embryo quality, my RE said that she has seen many many women get pregnant from "B" quality embryos and that she wasn't worried at all. That's something to keep in mind!
Me-32 DH-32
NTNP since 2012, TTC since May 2015. Stage 1 endo.
Jan. '16- IUI#1- 100mg clomid, 3 follicles- BFN
Feb. '16- IUI#2- 100mg clomid, 4 follicles- BFN
Mar. '16- IUI#3- 100mg clomid, 3 follicles- BFN
IVF #1- June- 22 eggs retrieved-> 18 fertilized-> 16 at day 5-> 12 sent for testing (other 4 frozen as back up)-> 8 genetically normal-> 1 very good quality embryo chosen for transfer!
FET Aug. 9
1st beta- 106
2nd beta- 360

Sauce
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Wishing4A star » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:48 pm

Hi ladies,
I Know im a little late with posting but i just want to give my little advice...@ Futurebaby yes! Thats a very hard decion to make i think we all stressed about that. First and formost talk it out with dh if both of you guys ok with having multiples i say do it. Im 29 and concieved my first child with ivf last year however my dr told me the same thing " your very young and otherwise in good health" she talk me into transfer 1 and it did not stick of course i was devastated but we paid for a two try package which im glad. So we went on to transfer 2 and i have 1 baby girl :D its a chance we take but its well worth it. I went for my consult to start ivf #2 and the question is.....how many to transfer tgis go round and gueas what i pick 2 only bcuz i rather take the chance knowing i will end up with 2 rather then none . The cost of ivf is far from cheap so i say go with the higest chance. Thats my story/advice but of course its up to you guys. Hope this helped :hugs: kmp
Image[/url]
TTC : 2years +
December 2013- Hsg done -dx with block tubes
January 2013- lap surgery done(right tube opened)
March 2013- clomid/IUI #1
April 2013 - Bfp (chemical)
September 2013- February 2014- medicated cycles with monitoring still no baby.
April 2014- consult with fertility dr.
******Moving on to Ivf ******
May 5th- Ivf educational day
May 13th- lap surgery
July4th- started stims
July 15th - retrieval
July 20th - transfer/ July 30 beta negative
----------------------------
Ivf # 2
Aug 3rd- started bcp for 3 wks
Aug 16th- started lupron
September 16th- Fet