Loratadine in first trimester

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

Loratadine in first trimester

Postby Happy001 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:53 pm

Hi,

I will like to ask if it is safe to take loratadine in the first trimester? Did anyone tried before? I am having a very bad running nose and went to polyclinic and doctor prescribed me with loratadine. I took the medicine as my running nose is really bad. But I read the other forum and all said it is unsafe to take in the first trimester.
Happy001

Re: Loratadine in first trimester

Postby @whenmytruerainbow » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:52 am

The best person to advise you about the use and safety of loratadine while you are pregnant is your doctor. Remember that every pregnancy is different, and what may suit one pregnant female may not suit you, and vice versa. Also, your doctor will be the best judge of your overall health and the health of your pregnancy, and will be able to form an informed decision. Here are a few things you should keep in mind when you think of taking loratadine while pregnant:
Loratadine was put on the pregnancy category B status in US. It means that there are no known side effects if you take the drug while you are pregnant. However, there are no medical research studies that have been done on human beings to test the reaction of the drug. The only studies that are available have been done on animals.
As such, your doctor will only prescribe it for you when the benefits seem to outweigh any potential risk.
Your doctor will first check all your symptoms and decide if prescribing loratadine will help to ease the symptoms (Without causing any side effect.) For instance, your doctor may prescribe loratadine if it will help to reduce or prevent your symptoms of asthma. (It will also help to reduce your requirement for any additional medications for asthma.)
Treating your allergies with the help of loratadine will also help you sleep better. It will help to improve your emotional well-being. It is considered that if you take loratadine during pregnancy, it will cause less drowsiness as compared to other antihistamines. While you are pregnant, you are sometimes more prone to experience cold and cough and related allergies. Do speak to your doctor to understand whether you can safely take loratadine during these months, without any risk to your or your unborn baby’s health.
Wish you both all the best!!
@whenmytruerainbow
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Return to IVF