What to do with a frozen embryo

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

What to do with a frozen embryo

Postby lenni36 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:51 am

Hi ladies,

I used to come here very often. I don't remember my original login name. We were ttc for three years, nothing was happening, we were diagnosed with idiopathic infertility, proceed with an IVF, I miscarried my three day embryo at 5 tt, from a FET 3 months later I have a beautiful and healthy 27 months old son. We still have one embryo left in a freezer and don't know what to do with it. I'm 36, my husband 47, no spring chickens. Our son goes to a private school and we cannot afford this for our second child. Also, all the family lives abroad, we have no help and our son just started sleeping through the night - wakes up about twice, which usef to be 5-15 times, we are veyond exhausted. My husband wants to dispose of the remaining embryo, although it's not easy for him, I cry every night not wanting to kill it. What should we do?
lenni36

Re: What to do with a frozen embryo

Postby Danaa » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Hello and congratulations on your baby!!Sadly this such a personal decision.Think about the well being of your family,if you would have another baby could you care for the baby as best as you should?i wish you good luck!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a very early loss,chemical pregnancy.
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 MMC at the 10 weeks ultrasound.
FET#4 2018
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mglupe1979 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:01 pm

What ever will be will be. I will definitely give it a chance. Were one eat two eat. Im sure you and your husband will make it happen. What ever your decision is.
mglupe1979
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Hopefulrosey » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:51 am

Lenni, I understand how you feel. I am sorry that you have to make such a tough decision.

If I were you, I will take my chances and at least give this embryo a chance to come this world. Two children are not a lot.

Otheewise, maybe you can find someone who would love to adopt this little embryo (embryo donation)? Imo, that will be better than discarding a potential life.

All the best
TTC#1 since Feb 2016
Me: Rosey, 33, mild endo
DH: 32, 4 SAs. varies between normal to MFI :doh:
IUI #1 Sep'17 - BFN and ended up with 2x 20mm+ cysts
IUI #2 Nov'17 - cancelled. O'd spontaneously on CD10 before trigger
IUI #3 Dec'17 BFN... moving on to IVF in 2018
IVF #1 - ER (16 follies,14 eggs, 7 mature, 3 fertilised), 3d transfer of 3 embies (only 1x 8 cell, 2x 4 cell), no frosties, BFN
Lap Mar'18 - Dx mild endo
IVF #2 - Jul'18 - ER (10 eggs, 5 mature, 5 fertilised), 5d transfer of 2 expanding blasts, 1x frozen, BFN
Hopefulrosey
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby lenni36 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:19 am

Thank you for your replies. We pay $8000 for our son's school now and every year it increases. Last two years of grade school it's gonna be $14000 per year. Then high school (around $40000/year) and college. There's no way we could do this for our second child unless we won a lottery. I don't want to donate either, I couldn't have somebody else to raise my child. At the beginning of April comes the time to pay the storage fees, we need to decide soon. I didn't have an easy pregnancy either. I was a mental wreck, I was getting startled by my own shadow, I couldn't drive because I thought every car was going to hit me, couldn't swallow, was choking on the water, spent days in the closet feeling scared. It was terrible, most likely from all the hormones.
lenni36

Postby mglupe1979 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:55 am

Hi lenni it seam like you have already made up your mine. Its a 50 50 chance this embryo could make it. If its going to be a burden in your life. You might as well incline to what works for you and your life style. Im sorry if i sound neutral. But this is a sensitive topic and only you will be able to make the right decision.
mglupe1979
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby @whenmytruerainbow » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:38 am

So personal. For me, it's hard thinking about. We're currently going egg donation ivf route for baby#1. (me - 40 years young with endo & PCOS. Two previous attempts resulted in bfn.) For me, I'd never give my embie to anyone else. Really, this is what I'm fighting for - to have a beautiful healthy blast to transfer which will make comfortable home inside me.
I'm sure your embie won't be 'a burden in your life. You're blessed to have him, just give him a try....
@whenmytruerainbow
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Return to IVF