OHSS and egg quality

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

OHSS and egg quality

Postby geeky_gab » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:47 am

Good morning ladies,

I am going through an IVF cycle and my doctor said I was having symptoms of OHSS. I will not be having a fresh cycle this time around but I am worried about the outcome and the number of embryos that could be produced this cycle.
I have about 20 follicles that are 15mm, they are all growing at a similar rate, 10 are smaller. They did not give me the numbers for Estradiol but mentionned it was high. Retrival should be on Wednesday, so on day 12. I am very worried about egg quality and our odds for fertilization and the rest.

Has anyone had retrieval and a good number of healthy embryos during a cycle where you overstimulated?

Any stories?

Thank you so much :)
TTC since Dec. 2014 - "unexplained infertility"
Me : 36
DH : 37
IUI #1 - #7 May 2016 - October 2017 BFN
Laparoscopy May 29th 2017, fibroid removed, cyst on fallopian tube removed, stage 1 endo removed.
IVF Antagonist protocol, retrival Dec. 2017
FET Feb 2018 BFN
Hoping for April FET
geeky_gab
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Re: OHSS and egg quality

Postby Danaa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:37 am

Yep,me 22 eggs retrieved,19 were mature enough and I got 9 embryos,6 of them A quality and 3 B.
Although the OHSS can have an effect on the quality it has more to do to your egg quality and the sperm.
I started an OHSS diet days before ER and that combined with a non hcg trigger shot helped me get torugh the OHSS.
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a very early loss,chemical pregnancy.
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 MMC at the 10 weeks ultrasound.
FET#4 2018
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby geeky_gab » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:08 pm

Thanks Danaa!
I was put on Dostinex before and after retrival. I also got a non hcg trigger shot, Suprefact.
I am drinking Gatorade and eating well, not too salty and lean. I was not instructed any specific diet in that sense, only the electrolytes. Thanks for sharing with me :)
TTC since Dec. 2014 - "unexplained infertility"
Me : 36
DH : 37
IUI #1 - #7 May 2016 - October 2017 BFN
Laparoscopy May 29th 2017, fibroid removed, cyst on fallopian tube removed, stage 1 endo removed.
IVF Antagonist protocol, retrival Dec. 2017
FET Feb 2018 BFN
Hoping for April FET
geeky_gab
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Danaa » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:19 pm

Basically the diet is lots of proteins and lessss carbs,eggs,milk,chicken .
No problem.
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a very early loss,chemical pregnancy.
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 MMC at the 10 weeks ultrasound.
FET#4 2018
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby @whenmytruerainbow » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:22 am

HI! I had severe OHSS in my first cycle. Had 63 follicles and out of that they only got 7 eggs to ivf. The majority were too small or immature enough. Out of those 7 only 3 made it to day 5. We transferred 2, but got bfn. When they tested the fetus it was terribly abnormal. Since then I've had smaller egg hauls result in better quality eggs. Honestly I think it does have some effect. I assume the quality was better in the following cycle as more eggs were mature and able to be fertilised etc. (Eggs retrieved - 20, fertilized - 10). I like such an analogy ~
Kind of like if you put 40 tomato seeds in one pot. They all compete for nutrients so in the end none of them grow properly. If you put 10 seeds in the pot they all get a bigger share of the nutrients. And you'll get a handful that grow into really healthy plants. So for short, I believe OHSS effects much the quality. One should definitely seek ways to get rid of.
All the best. TIA
@whenmytruerainbow
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Return to IVF