First time IVF-er

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

First time IVF-er

Postby Unconventional tale » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:19 am

Hello everyone,

This post is a very hard and personal story but after reading many of the stories here it's given me alot of courage to share my own.

Let me start at the beginning. My husband and I were best friends before we were anything else from the age of 17. Over time my feelings for him began to change and I slowly started to fall in love with him. I'd like to say we got our happily ever after easily but it came with a lot of ups and downs and will they or won't they or is it a one sided love. Till eventually 9 years later we realised we both loved each other and he proposed. 10 months later we were married and it was one of the best days of my life where I thought we would have this story book marriage and all our dreams would be coming true.

My husband and I both decided to wait till marriage to be intimate with each other.I did get my period on the day of my wedding (I would blame it on the stress of planning a wedding) so I didn't get the magical wedding night that everyone talks about. Cut to our honeymoon where my period was over but realised my husband was very withdrawn and still wasn't interested in being intimate. After questioning him about it one day we did try but due to it being both of our first time we didn't do a very good job of it. Sadly that was the first and last time we tried.

We started therapy and my husband informed me that the reason he was unable to be intimate with me was because as a child he was sexually abused multiple times and therefore the idea of sex was very difficult for him.

I love my husband more than anything in the world and decided that this is an obstacle that we can overcome together. We have been married almost 5 years and unfortunately are still unable to be intimate with each other. The therapy has helped us in the sense that we have never loved each other more and are completely committed to each other and want to spend our lives together regardless of the fact that we could be in a sexless marriage for the rest of our lives.

Fast forward to the present where we have decided that we want to start a family together. After research online we looked at IUI. I visited my gynae who informed me that regardless if I was having sex or not my hymen would have to be surgically broken due to me having a septate hymen (basically 2 holes instead of one making it impossible to have sex - could explain why the first time trying to have sex didn't work).

So after surgically being unvirginized my husband and I went to the fertility clinic to discuss IUI and explaining our situation. We had to do some basic fertility tests to check if everything was ok since we had never technically tried to conceive before. The results came out that my husband has a 2% morphology problem and I had a low egg reserve and irregular ovulation or weak ovulation. We were told that our best option would be IVF or more specifically ICSI.

So here we are in the process of starting our first IVF cycle. We are both very nervous but extremely hopeful and trying to remain positive. We should be starting our cycle within the next few days.

Thank you for taking the time to hear my story. I wish you all the best of luck on your journey to your BFP and bundle of joy.
Unconventional tale
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: First time IVF-er

Postby Hopefulrosey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:06 am

Didn't want to read and run. That is one hell of an unconventional tale. Best of luck to you and your DH. If you need emotional support, you can find many girls on these boards :)
TTC#1 since Feb 2016
Me: Rosey, 33, mild endo
DH: 32, 4 SAs. varies between normal to MFI :doh:
IUI #1 Sep'17 - BFN and ended up with 2x 20mm+ cysts
IUI #2 Nov'17 - cancelled. O'd spontaneously on CD10 before trigger
IUI #3 Dec'17 BFN... moving on to IVF in 2018
IVF #1 - ER (16 follies,14 eggs, 7 mature, 3 fertilised), 3d transfer of 3 embies (only 1x 8 cell, 2x 4 cell), no frosties, BFN
Lap Mar'18 - Dx mild endo
IVF #2 - Jul'18 - ER (10 eggs, 5 mature, 5 fertilised), 5d transfer of 2 expanding blasts, 1x frozen, BFN

Aug'18 - Nautural BFP while waiting for FET :D Beta #1 968, Beta #2 12000+, HB: 168

Oct'18 - Officially in 2nd trimester. Can't thank God enough for his blessings
Hopefulrosey
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Unconventional tale » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:22 am

Thank you for your reply hopefulrosey. Emotional support is definitely the reason I decided to share my story and join the forum.
Unconventional tale
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Gem1981 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:16 am

Hi there.. really unconventional! Amazing how committed how you and your husband are towards each other :).. wish you all the best in the journey. Take care! Will be lurking around ... :)
Gem1981
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Hopefulrosey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:56 am

Unconventional tale wrote:Thank you for your reply hopefulrosey. Emotional support is definitely the reason I decided to share my story and join the forum.

You are welcome :) when are you starting your stims?
TTC#1 since Feb 2016
IVF #1 - ER (16 follies,14 eggs, 7 mature, 3 fertilised), 3d transfer of 3 embies (only 1x 8 cell, 2x 4 cell), no frosties, BFN
IVF #2 - Jul'18 - ER (10 eggs, 5 mature, 5 fertilised), 5d transfer of 2 expanding blasts, 1x frozen, BFN

Aug'18 - Nautural BFP while waiting for FET :D Beta #1 968, Beta #2 12000+, HB: 168

Hopefulrosey
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Unconventional tale » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:04 am

@Hopefulrosey Just waiting for AF to start - should be either tomorrow or Saturday hopefully.

@Gem1981 Thank you for your well wishes! We'll always be friends before anything else and that has made our bond stronger.
Unconventional tale
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Ritu2011 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi , Your’s is truly an unconventional tale and you both deserve a sweet loving family. Good Luck and lots of Baby Dust.
Ritu2011
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Hopefulrosey » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:42 am

@unconventional so FX :) I am not doing any treatments at the moment. Just had a failed ivf so now I have to wait 3 cycles before I can try again with meds. I plan to lurk around in this time and support other girls in their journeys
TTC#1 since Feb 2016

Hopefulrosey
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Unconventional tale » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:09 pm

Ritu2011 wrote:Hi , Your’s is truly an unconventional tale and you both deserve a sweet loving family. Good Luck and lots of Baby Dust.

Thank you so much! I'm very positive and do believe i will get my BFP on this cycle! *Fingers Crossed*
Unconventional tale
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Unconventional tale » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:09 pm

Hopefulrosey wrote:@unconventional so FX :) I am not doing any treatments at the moment. Just had a failed ivf so now I have to wait 3 cycles before I can try again with meds. I plan to lurk around in this time and support other girls in their journeys

Plenty of Baby Dust to you on your journey :)
Unconventional tale
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Ritu2011 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:31 am

Unconventional tale wrote:
Ritu2011 wrote:Hi , Your’s is truly an unconventional tale and you both deserve a sweet loving family. Good Luck and lots of Baby Dust.

Thank you so much! I'm very positive and do believe i will get my BFP on this cycle! *Fingers Crossed*

I like your positive attitude. It’s the most important thing required for this Journey. I will be lurking around to get your updates. FX. Lots of sticky vibes and baby dust !!!
Ritu2011
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Hopefulrosey » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 am

I will be lurking too! Keep us posted
TTC#1 since Feb 2016

Hopefulrosey
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Unconventional tale » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:22 am

Ritu2011 wrote:
Unconventional tale wrote:

I like your positive attitude. It’s the most important thing required for this Journey. I will be lurking around to get your updates. FX. Lots of sticky vibes and baby dust !!!

Thank you. I am still waiting for AF - seems that when you really want it to come its nowhere to be seen and when you're dreading it coming it comes earlier! Always at the wrong time! Hopefully once it starts I'll be able to start the stims. I'll keep you updated :)
Unconventional tale
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Unconventional tale » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:24 am

DonnaNeilson wrote:Hey there! Damn this is such a beautiful story (of you and your husband). It's good to see that you are both very committed and supportive of each other. I can smell love in the air. So I feel bad for you that you can't conceive naturally but it's okay. Nothing to worry about. Nowadays infertility is not such a big thing. Many couples are suffering from it. Going for IVF is a good decision. IVF is a very successful treatment. My elder sister had babies through IVF. And not even one, she had twins. Becoming a mother is no doubt the most beautiful feeling ever. You can also become a mother through IVF. Just take good care of your diet and everything. Try to avoid smoking, alcohol, all junk food, and fizzy drinks. You need a healthy lifestyle to conceive. Just exercise and do some running so you can also stay active physically. Good luck! Much love!

Thank you for your kind words! We are very optimistic about IVF working but sometimes I worry that if I am too optimistic I will end up being disappointed in the end. I will continue hoping for the best and know that whatever happens God has a plan for it :)
Unconventional tale
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Unconventional tale » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:26 am

Hopefulrosey wrote:I will be lurking too! Keep us posted

Still waiting for AF to start! It is 4 days late and I am usually very regular! I blame it on the stress and anticipation of starting the IVF cycle! :roll:
Unconventional tale
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Next

Return to IVF