We are new here. Introduction and help

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

We are new here. Introduction and help

Postby jjcam » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:29 pm

Hello, here is our infertility story so far. I'm Josh. My wife and I have been trying to conceive for 10 years. I'm 33, she's 31. We waited a long time to actually see a doctor, but finally went to one last year, August 2017. We both got checked out, and basically, she has no known problems and I have MFI. My count (8mil post wash), motility(24%), and morphology(1%) are all low. Not too low, but low enough that the DR said we had to do ICSI/IVF as IUI would be a really low chance.

In order for our insurance to cover IVF, we had to first attempt an IUI even though we knew it probably wouldn't work. So in December 2017 we did IUI #1. It didn't work.

So in January 2018, we started stims for ivf #1 with an expected egg retrieval in February. At first, My wife was on 2 vials of menopur, gonal-f, and follistim (450). After the first week, her follicle growth was not responding well, so they increased the dosage by adding 2 more vials of menopur per day (4 per day) along with the other meds listed. Anyways, long story short, by the end she only had about 4 mature follicles and the DR recommended converting to an IUI since our insurance only covers 1 ivf egg retrieval. He said that maybe in a different month her body might respond differently and she could get more follicles, or maybe that is just how her body is.

So we attempted IUI #2, which also did not work.

So now here we are in March 2018. IVF #2.

We are on day 9 of stims. She is doing the increased stims (4 menopur/450 follistim) which they said is the max dosage they could do. They also added HGH (Omnitrope) to help with quality and growth.
On day 7, the ultrasound showed 8 follicles. Today, on day 9, they only saw 5 that were growing. The sizes were 12,12,10,8,8. So she is still on the stims over the weekend and they want to retrieve either next wednesday or thursday.

If we are lucky enough to get any embryos to the frozen stage, then we are looking at doing a frozen embryo transfer probably in a few months.

Well that's where we are at. It seems like the stats that people talk about are so crazy. Many people are posting that they got 20 or 30 something eggs retrieved and less than 5 make it to the frozen day 5 stage. So it make our odds look very bad. But we are hoping!

Has anyone had any similar stories with success that they could share? Specifically dealing with low follicle counts? or MFI?

Thanks Y'all!
jjcam

Re: We are new here. Introduction and help

Postby Danaa » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:55 am

At the age of 31 she should have more eggs unless she has low ovarian reserve.If this is not successful I suggest finding another doctor to try a different protocol for her,maybe a long one .I wish you good luck and don’t worry lots of couples with mfi had success with Ivf!!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a very early loss,chemical pregnancy.
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 MMC at the 10 weeks ultrasound.
FET#4 2018
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mglupe1979 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:28 am

Im with Danna, it look like your doctor just jump on the stim protocal and not the long protocol were they put her ovaries to sleep and then start the stimulation. For her age its low. Long protocal should have included birth control pill for at least 20 days lupron for at least two weeks then start with menopur and folistim. Good luck. But i would ask more question before going through especially if insurance only cover one retrival
mglupe1979
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jjcam » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:08 pm

thnaks for the replys. I forgot to mention the birth control part. she was on birth control prior to each ivf stim period for 19 days
jjcam

Postby Danaa » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:20 pm

jjcam wrote:thnaks for the replys. I forgot to mention the birth control part. she was on birth control prior to each ivf stim period for 19 days

Is her ovarian reserve normal?if yes she could start directly with GonalF and no Menopur and see how that works out.Maybe the bcp made her ovaries asleep.
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
FET#4 2018
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jjcam » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:45 pm

thanks for the reply. We will see how things go next week. we are staying positive that her eggs are of good quality. The doctor that we are seeing is supposedly the best in hawaii (where we live), we hear other people who fail at other ivf doctors in hawaii usually end up at this one, not the other way around.
jjcam

Postby Danaa » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:52 pm

Positivity is key!!Trust ur doctor.good luck!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
FET#4 2018
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to IVF