Tell me your egg retrieval stories :)

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

Tell me your egg retrieval stories :)

Postby Mswaitingpatiently » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:11 am

Hi guys!
I've read stories on this site for literally years and never really posted anything so thought now is the time to get stuck in! You guys on this site seem to support each other sooo much like a massive family!
Well I'm due to start my first round of ivf and I'm sooooo scared! It's the egg retrieval and the horror stories Google has given me! What's your experience? Were you asleep???
And are you laid like flat on your back? Or sort of propped up???

I need details lol. Lots of details! :) :)
Mswaitingpatiently
Friend

Re: Tell me your egg retrieval stories :)

Postby Hopefulrosey » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:43 am

Don't be scared. It's not as bad. You will be sedated so you won't feel a thing and won't remember anything either. I lost consciousness within 30 seconds after they injected me. Next I woke up in the recovery room. I do remember waking up for like 2 sec during my retrieval and feeling as if my vaginal wall is being pinched. Other than that I remember nothing.

After retrieval, I was quite normal. Just heavy ovaries and a little spottig. I didn't even need to use the painkillers they gave me.
Last edited by Hopefulrosey on Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TTC#1 since Feb 2016
Me: Rosey, 33, mild endo
DH: 32, 4 SAs. varies between normal to MFI :doh:
IUI #1 Sep'17 - BFN and ended up with 2x 20mm+ cysts
IUI #2 Nov'17 - cancelled. O'd spontaneously on CD10 before trigger
IUI #3 Dec'17 BFN... moving on to IVF in 2018
IVF #1 - ER (16 follies,14 eggs, 7 mature, 3 fertilised), 3d transfer of 3 embies (only 1x 8 cell, 2x 4 cell), no frosties, BFN
Lap Mar'18 - Dx mild endo
IVF #2 - Jul'18 - ER (10 eggs, 5 mature, 5 fertilised), 5d transfer of 2 expanding blasts, 1x frozen, BFN

Aug'18 - Nautural BFP while waiting for FET :D Beta #1 968, Beta #2 12000+, HB: 168

Oct'18 - Officially in 2nd trimester. Can't thank God enough for his blessings
Hopefulrosey
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Danaa » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:04 am

Exactly what she said.I was on my back withy legs in the stirrups.not uncomfortable.
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a very early loss,chemical pregnancy.
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 MMC at the 10 weeks ultrasound.
FET#4 2018
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Mswaitingpatiently » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:40 am

Thanks girls, Google is not the place to go to ease your mind lol .

Did you guys get put to sleep or is it just alot of pain relief that make you abit sleepy?

I have images of me Trying to get up or been sick half way through collection!
Mswaitingpatiently
Friend

Postby Hopefulrosey » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:57 am

You will be injected with sedatives before the procedure will even start. After that it usually takes about 10-15 min depending on how many eggs need to be retrieved so it's not a very long procedure. Under normal circumstances, ivf retrieval is an uncomplicated and painless procedure itself.
TTC#1 since Feb 2016
IVF #1 - ER (16 follies,14 eggs, 7 mature, 3 fertilised), 3d transfer of 3 embies (only 1x 8 cell, 2x 4 cell), no frosties, BFN
IVF #2 - Jul'18 - ER (10 eggs, 5 mature, 5 fertilised), 5d transfer of 2 expanding blasts, 1x frozen, BFN

Aug'18 - Nautural BFP while waiting for FET :D Beta #1 968, Beta #2 12000+, HB: 168

Hopefulrosey
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Danaa » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:43 am

I was asleep for the procedure,when I woke up I felt nothing ,I went down 5 flights of stairs and I didn’t need any of the painkillers.Everyone is different,don’t let google scare u.
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a very early loss,chemical pregnancy.
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 MMC at the 10 weeks ultrasound.
FET#4 2018
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Mswaitingpatiently » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:05 am

Great this sounds alot less scary than I thought lol. Tha is girls!
Mswaitingpatiently
Friend

Postby Hopefulrosey » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:56 am

:) Good luck with the retrieval. When are you starting your ivf cycle?
TTC#1 since Feb 2016

Hopefulrosey
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby geeky_gab » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:49 pm

Hello!
Processes might be different from a country to another. It might be better for you to ask the facility where you are as to how they proceed. I was not asleep but I had taken a "calming pill" (can't remeber which one). The doctor explained the procedure as he went along and I could see the eggs on a giant screen as they were retrieved. It was uncomfortable but bearable. I had hyperstimulation so my ovaries were very swollen before, during and after. I had a few days leave and it did the trick, I felt better and it was all worth it!
Good luck on your procedure! When are you starting?
TTC since Dec. 2014 - "unexplained infertility"
Me : 36
DH : 37
IUI #1 - #7 May 2016 - October 2017 BFN
Laparoscopy May 29th 2017, fibroid removed, cyst on fallopian tube removed, stage 1 endo removed.
IVF Antagonist protocol, retrival Dec. 2017
FET Feb 2018 BFN
Hoping for April FET
geeky_gab
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Mswaitingpatiently » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi girls I've been away so only just picked these replies up.The doctors told me i would be awake but drugged up so it wouldn't hurt too much. I start injections in 2 days..nervous is not the word lol. It's my first cycle so not sure what to expect! Are any of you guys starting a cycle soon? Geeky_gab...you said it was worth it does that mean you got your bfp? :)
Mswaitingpatiently
Friend

Postby Kendell bling » Wed May 30, 2018 2:17 pm

I know it is scary. It is painful too. I won't give you false hopes. It is never easy though. You have to go through pain. I wish things work for you. Best of luck with it. Baby dust your way.
Kendell bling

Postby babydaffodils » Wed May 30, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi,
I started my first IVF cycle and today is day 6 of treatment. I am hoping to reach the stage of egg retrieval next week if everything goes well. The injections so far are not too bad. Good luck to you too and hopefully to new beginnings!

Keep me posted how it goes for you.
babydaffodils
Friend

Postby babydaffodils » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Here is my update MSwaiting

Today is day 10 of stim and is going to be the trigger day, so my egg retrieval will on on June 4th!
So far, I have about 10 follicles and the biggest ones are 18-19 mm and others are around 15 mm. My estrogen level is around 2000. Hoping everything goes well on Monday and bracing for the injection tonight!

I will keep you posted next week on how everything goes..
babydaffodils
Friend

Postby Mswaitingpatiently » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:11 am

hey girls! thought I'd give a update after you guys really helped me when I was worried! egg retrieval was completely fine...like please do not worry..I had light sedation and I remember it light it was a dream, I know it happened but it was like I wasn't there! had pain for the following days after but pain killers and a hot water helped alot. and guess what.... I tested 5dp5dt and I'm pregnant!!! please let me know how you go through your cycles ! I hope you're not finding the stims too bad!it'll all be qorht it in the end :)
Mswaitingpatiently
Friend

Postby hannahdavid » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:43 pm

For me, egg retrieval itself wasn't scary but everything before the retrieval used to make me scared. Thank God my DH was available to inject the shots. I was too scared to do that myself. Since I have a poor ovarian reserve I didn't feel that bloated that it would hurt. When the eggs were retrieved didn't feel anything. It didn't work out for me sadly. The doctors had already warned us at the clinic I am going that the chances were low. With poor ovarian reserve, the chances of IVF to work are very similar to conceiving naturally. Also, they did warn me that even if it works the chances of MC are high. However, I still wanted to give everything a try. The only way I can get pregnant is through DE. The clinic has already shown me their database of DE it is amazing but I have to prepare my mind for that. Anyways, congratulations to you! I am so happy IVF was a success for you. I hope the pregnancy goes smoothly.
-Low AMH and High FSH
-Poor Ovarian Reserve
-5 IUIs (failed)
-1 IVF (failed)
Life is a total mess
hannahdavid
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Next

Return to IVF