Tell me your egg retrieval stories :)

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

Re: Tell me your egg retrieval stories :)

Postby BeckyL » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:28 am

My first few egg retrievals I was knocked out and didn't know what was happening, didn't feel anything etc. My last two were done at a different place under light sedation, the first one done this way was dreadful as I was already suffering a bit from OHSS and so therefore already tender, and it hurt and I could feel what they were doing but couldn't say anything, very traumatic! The next time I told them how awful it had been so they increased the sedation and it was a lot better!!
BeckyL

Postby babydaffodils » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:10 pm

Mswaitingpatiently wrote:hey girls! thought I'd give a update after you guys really helped me when I was worried! egg retrieval was completely fine...like please do not worry..I had light sedation and I remember it light it was a dream, I know it happened but it was like I wasn't there! had pain for the following days after but pain killers and a hot water helped alot. and guess what.... I tested 5dp5dt and I'm pregnant!!! please let me know how you go through your cycles ! I hope you're not finding the stims too bad!it'll all be qorht it in the end :)

Congratulations MS! This is exciting news and hope the rest of the pregnancy is smooth as well.
Hope the progesterone injections are OK. Are you doing anything additional besides massage after the injections?
Take care!
Last edited by babydaffodils on Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babydaffodils
Friend

Postby Alana90 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:28 am

Egg retrieval does sound like a horror movie. But this is not really the case. Especially when you got a supportive clinic staff. Women on their first retrieval, of course, has to go through mixed emotions. Even I had no sleep a night before retrieval. And Google is the reason for that. The more you search things the more you would end up being scared.
But you got to consider the thing that many women's have already been through such procedure. And some had a huge number of roundabout six or seven. If this would have been scary why would they all do that? Stay positive.
Alana90

Postby @whenmytruerainbow » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:12 am

My experience wasn't recent but what I can tell ladies concerned. Breath deeply hold someone's hand. Visualize each egg as a step closer to getting your baby! I don't remember it being really uncomfortable. They give you a good dose of pain medication. The most fun part is it will be over even before you realize that it hurts. :) We had 20 eggs retrieved. 10 fertilized. Embryo quality -- a mix of As, Bs & Cs.
@whenmytruerainbow
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby @whenmytruerainbow » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:18 am

Here's the general outline. Before ER:
After 8 p.m. on the night before the procedure, you must refrain from eating or drinking until after the procedure. You should not wear any jewelry or contact lenses to the procedure. Male partners will be asked to provide a semen sample to be used during the IVF procedure.
During ER:
Most of the time, eggs are retrieved via transvaginal ultrasound. During this procedure, an ultrasound probe is inserted into the vagina, which allows the doctor to see the follicles in the ovaries. Then, a thin needle attached to a catheter is inserted through the ultrasound guide and to the ovaries. The follicles are aspirated one by one through a small suction device, and multiple follicles can be retrieved. The procedure is performed under sedation and pain medication.
After ER:
You may feel some side effects of the procedure and the sedation for the first few days after the procedure. Common side effects include: Discomfort, which should be managed with Tylenol or a prescription medication. Nausea, which can be treated with ginger ale and crackers. Dizziness. Feelings of cramps, fullness, or pressure in the pelvic area. Again you MIGHT only feel any of them.
@whenmytruerainbow
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Previous

Return to IVF