Could I be? Breastfeeding Mama

Cramping? Spotting? Obsessing? Share and compare your symptoms in the 2WW!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Could I be? Breastfeeding Mama

Postby chickypop » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:07 am

I have a 13 month old son who I am still nursing (in the am, pm and a few times throughout the night). My husband and I were planning on starting our TTC journey casually next month (for baby #2). I got AF for the first time on June 2. I figured I would get it back June 30 or so. Now it is July 4 and still no sign of AF. I did have a tiny bit of dark red spotting yesterday but that was it! The ONLY time we had unprotected sex was last week Wednesday June 28. I am wondering if I ovulated late and Im pregnant or if my cycles are just wonky because of breastfeeding. Wouldn't make sense to test until Friday at least. I will test on Friday because I am going to a cottage for the weekend so I need to know if I can drink. Anyone experience late ovulation while breastfeeding or wonky cycles? Thanks!
chickypop
Friend

Re: Could I be? Breastfeeding Mama

Postby saryfairy12 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi! What are your symptoms if you are having any? I'm currently breastfeeding my 10-month-old, but he's on a lot of solids so fertility for me is a definite possibility. Here are mine, and I'm going crazy because if my cycles are like they were before my son, there's a serious chance I've conceived. But, I'm also trying to not get my hopes up if AF does come back, I need to be prepared for that as well. As a side note, before I list my symptoms, I belong to a local mommy playgroup and our kids are all within a month of each other, and all of them who are breastfeeding and have gotten their periods say they've been ridiculously wonky, so you're definitely NOT alone! If you want a really good article about fertility and BFd go to Kelly Mom and look up fertility while breastfeeding.

Symptoms:
1) Serious nausea. No vomiting yet (but I didn't puke with my first), but I'm only 14DPO and it's still too soon to get a BFP
2) Dizziness. Like, the kind where I've almost fallen over trying to pick up my son
3) Fatigue. I've reached the point where there are moments I just HAVE to lie down or I will fall asleep standing up. If my son was a newborn, this would be totally normal, but he's on a really great schedule and I haven't felt this way since the last time I was pregnant, and it's getting worse.
4) Metallic taste in my mouth that also keeps getting worse.
5) Cramps, but they don't feel like my period. They feel like tugging.
6) Peeing. All. The. Time.
7) Super thirsty, which is just rough because I'm already thirsty from nursing.
8) I just "feel" pregnant and I felt the exact same way with my son, which I realize is not a medical symptom, but regardless it's there and I can't shake it.

Let me know what you think! And let us know what your test says and/or if AF comes! *hoping you're pregnant btw*
saryfairy12

Postby chickypop » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:25 pm

I don't think 14 DPO is too early to test! I got my BFP with my son at 10 DPO. You should go ahead and test. Well it looks like it's gonna be hard to get pregnant with if my cycles really are this long because I'll have no clue when I ovulate and I don't see myself BD every other day! lol.

Sounds like you have a lot of symptoms ! I can't pin point any! I do feel tiny cramps on and off but nothing like period cramps! Tugging as well. I had the dark spotting which could be implantation bleeding. Other than that, nothing. But with my son I literally had zero symptoms. Even throughout my pregnancy I never got sick once or experienced fatigue. Hoping my next pregnancy is the same! We'll update me when you test! I will do the same
chickypop
Friend

Postby saryfairy12 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:12 pm

I just wanted to give a quick update. So, it took 16 days from conception (and I knew I was pregnant 2 days after conception I was pregnant) for my test to be positive. I've been taking tests because I'm so anxious, but all of them have been negative. These symptoms just seem to be too strong and too many of them altogether for this to not be a pregnancy. If this one is anything like the last one, I'll still have to wait at least 2-3 more days before potentially seeing a BFP.

As far as trying to conceive, are you using a fertility app? I really like Ovia Fertility just because it will analyze ALL of your data. You can track pretty much anything, and it might be able to help you pinpoint when your fertile window is. This app has actually been telling me that the earliest I can test is in 2 days, so it's even counting down for me.

Sorry for all the info, I'm just so anxious and need a little peace of mind.
saryfairy12

Postby chickypop » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:24 am

Okay, I understand. I wasn't using a fertility app because we weren't even planning on trying this month. I had sex on CD 28 thinking my period would come two days later so we were safe. Also, I did temp last time I tried but couldn't keep it up. My son wakes several times throughout the night still (ugh) so my temps wouldn't be accurate anyways. Good luck so you should test on Friday as well then! I bought my test it's just waiting for me. Still no sign of AF on CD 34
chickypop
Friend

Postby LillyLoo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:53 am

chickypop wrote:I have a 13 month old son who I am still nursing (in the am, pm and a few times throughout the night). My husband and I were planning on starting our TTC journey casually next month (for baby #2). I got AF for the first time on June 2. I figured I would get it back June 30 or so. Now it is July 4 and still no sign of AF. I did have a tiny bit of dark red spotting yesterday but that was it! The ONLY time we had unprotected sex was last week Wednesday June 28. I am wondering if I ovulated late and Im pregnant or if my cycles are just wonky because of breastfeeding. Wouldn't make sense to test until Friday at least. I will test on Friday because I am going to a cottage for the weekend so I need to know if I can drink. Anyone experience late ovulation while breastfeeding or wonky cycles? Thanks!

Hi Chickypop. It seems like we are in the same boat. I am a breastfeeding mom who recently gave birth in Feb. My son just turned 4 months old June 28th. Lol. Since I've started bf my cycle went from a consistent 28 days to 35-37 days. So I had problems narrowing down my ovulation dates, too.

I assumed my ovulation dates changed along with everything else, so DH and I BD on CD9 (which is one of my original ovulation days) and I assumed all would be :fingersx: bc I wasn't trying to conceive again so soon. Welp! Approximately five days later I experienced two days of spotting, along with a host of other pregnancy symptoms such as nausea, fatigue, and dizziness. I am currently 8DPO and just received a faint positive on a HPT. I plan to give it a few more days before I test again. So :babydustb: to you and all the other TTC'ers bc anything is possible.

Lillyloo
LillyLoo
Friend

Postby chickypop » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:32 am

Good to know someone is in a similar boat LillyLoo!!! I will just have to try to BD more often. I just don't see that happening because my husband works five nights out of the week! Im not ready to spend $ on ovulation tests yet. Maybe I will go that route in a couple of months. I tested last night (BFN) but based on when I think I ovulated based on EWCM I was only 7 DPO yesterday so I doubt I would have gotten a positive. Just wish AF would arrive! CD35 for me. I will just have to be patient!!!! It will be nice for your little ones to be close in age. It will be hard but that's okay!
chickypop
Friend

Postby saryfairy12 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:35 pm

chickypop wrote:I don't think 14 DPO is too early to test! I got my BFP with my son at 10 DPO. You should go ahead and test. Well it looks like it's gonna be hard to get pregnant with if my cycles really are this long because I'll have no clue when I ovulate and I don't see myself BD every other day! lol.

Sounds like you have a lot of symptoms ! I can't pin point any! I do feel tiny cramps on and off but nothing like period cramps! Tugging as well. I had the dark spotting which could be implantation bleeding. Other than that, nothing. But with my son I literally had zero symptoms. Even throughout my pregnancy I never got sick once or experienced fatigue. Hoping my next pregnancy is the same! We'll update me when you test! I will do the same

I have an update: So, I couldn't take not knowing anymore. I had a VFP but then negatives after that, and I'm still symptomatic. I went into the ER on Sunday morning because I knew I could get a blood test. My HCG came back at 1.2mIU/mL, which means I'm not pregnant. I still haven't gotten my period, and my symptoms aren't going away (and some are worse), but according to the tests I'm not, so I'm not really sure what's going on. I did some calculations based on the fact that my cycle might be longer and it turns out there's still a chance I've conceived. Either way, I can't test again for a week so I'm playing the waiting game regardless. Waiting for AF or BFP!
saryfairy12

Postby Sweetone » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:36 am

Any updates?

I'm also still breastfeeding my my two year old and for the last few months we have been NTNP. I know I ovulated and my cycles have been regular, we BDd close to my o so there's a good chance for us. The first thing I noticed was sore nipples while she breastfeeds- I haven't experienced that since she was a month old! So I know something is different. I'm only 6 dpo so a lot of waiting left to do.

I will say this though- I've had symptoms each month and thought for SURE this was the one, but nothing. We are so much more in tune with our bodies after pregnancy, and every little symptom can be so magnified. Since your cycle is just returning, who knows though, you could have ovulated late!
Sweetone

Return to Pregnancy Symptoms?