Overweight but regular to within a few days.

Is weight affecting your fertility? Talk to others in your shoes here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Overweight but regular to within a few days.

Postby ScampyCat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi ladies,
Am so excited to have found this forum :)
Was wondering if any of you have had any experience of this... I am about 5ft 8" and weigh about 199lbs (90kg's) and am a UK size 18. According to BMI's, I am about 15kg's overweight. I have always considered myself overweight but not terribly so. Have no health problems and my cycles are regular to within about 3 days each month.

Recently had to see a gynaecologist on an unrelated matter to TTC and he terrified me. Told me I need to lose weight as a matter of urgency and I would almost definitely have problems conceiving as well as being too overweight to qualify for IVF should I need it.

Do you think he was scaremongering at all? Have been using OPK's for 2 months and getting a positive reading so am confident my hormones are doing their thing.

Any thoughts would be welcome.
Baby Dust to ALL...ScampyCat

No babies YET!!!I'm 29 yrs DH 27 yrs
Married 18 months but together for 8 yrs.
NTNP for over a year... (from end of 2010)
TTC officially for 3 months... (from Jan 2012)
Using OPK's for 2 months... (from Feb 2012)
ScampyCat
Friend

Postby KT5618 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:33 pm

Honestly- I think he's full of it. Yes being over weight CAN make things more challenging and it CAN make you more suseptable to some pregnancy-related complications such as high blood pressure and diabetese. BUT Chances are if you've already checked these out and are in good health, you'll be alright.

I went for a full physical with my family doctor before I started trying to conceive because I was worried about things like that. He purposely checked my blood sugar, blood pressure and thyroid looking for problems. Everything was fine so he gave me his blessing. AND when I mentioned my concern about my weight (especially because I had to PAY to ttc) he said my weight was (and I quote) "Actually not too bad". I'm 5'5" and 198lbs.

So fear not! I'd say if you're healthy and ovulating regularily thats what matters. Good luck!
-Kay
Me: 27
DW: 29
Trying: Sperm Bank at home inssemination with frozen sperm.

June-Oct - Cycle Monitoring
Nov: Folic Acid, Clomid 50mg - BFN
Dec: Folic Acid, Clomid 50mg, Ultrasound cycle monitoring, HCG Trigger shot (Ovidrel- 250 mcg)-BFN
Jan: Financial and hormonal Break
Feb: Sonohystogram - all clear!
Folic Acid, Clomid 100mg, ultrasound cycle monitoring, HCG trigger shot (Ovidrel- 250 mcg)-BFP!!

My TTC Blog: http://lesbianandbaby.blogspot.com/

KT5618
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Thank you

Postby ScampyCat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:01 pm

Thank you so much for your encouragement. Was reasonably confident until I saw the gynae. After that I felt awful.
Your story makes me feel much better and far more confident :D DH did his best to reassure me but it was no use.

Congratulations on your BFP :babyg:

ScampyCat
Friend

Postby nathalie08 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:01 am

Hi,

I am not sure it wold be a matter of urgency as a healthy weight loss is 1-2lbs a week so better to look at lifestyle changes and do it at this rate. However whilst many overweight woman do concieve and have healthy happy pregnancies, Research has shown that being overweight does affect fertility and you are at more risk of developing complications such as Gestational Diabetes etc. I am losing weight to try and help conception. To increase your chances and be healthy I would try and lose if you can but do is sensibly and look at lifestyle changes
nathalie08
Friend

Postby Rubyru » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:53 am

Weight can impact fertility, as pp have said it can lead to complications in pregnancy, but also over weight women are more likely to need an assisted delivery. I would say, make small healthy sustainable changes and get some exercise/ stay fit and you will probably be fine.

I am heavy and probably weighed close to what you weigh when I fell pg the 1st time but i only gain 3lb and remained active. I was -5kg when I fell pg again and again my weight gain was minimal and I walked 20miles plus a week pushing a pushchair/stroller. My pregnancies were both perfect, unfortunately I did end up with 2 emergency c-sections though.
Rubyru
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cartersnum1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:33 am

I think you need to find a new doc... I am 5' even and weighed 196 when I got pregnant with my daughter. I had absolutely no complications what so ever during my pregnancy besided a couple UTIs. I only had a c-section because they thought she was over 8lbs and I have a small pelvis or what ever..lol I do think that some weight has to do with it but you are kinda tall so I don't know why he would tell you that.

My biggest problem getting pregnant is that I have a tilted uterus. I hope everything works out for you and you get your :bfp: very soon. Don't stress out about it. Just breath easy...
Me 30 DF 31 DD born Sept 11 2008

Cartersnum1

Postby ScampyCat » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:18 pm

Hi everyone, thank you all so much for all the information and support. Got my :bfp: this afternoon :D Am so happy and also so nervous, hope it's a sticky one! Second month using OPK's so I'm guessing my weight wasn't a problem, it was timing all along x

ScampyCat
Friend

Postby KT5618 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:34 pm

CONGTULATIONS!
-Kay
Me: 27
DW: 29
Trying: Sperm Bank at home inssemination with frozen sperm.

June-Oct - Cycle Monitoring
Nov: Folic Acid, Clomid 50mg - BFN
Dec: Folic Acid, Clomid 50mg, Ultrasound cycle monitoring, HCG Trigger shot (Ovidrel- 250 mcg)-BFN
Jan: Financial and hormonal Break
Feb: Sonohystogram - all clear!
Folic Acid, Clomid 100mg, ultrasound cycle monitoring, HCG trigger shot (Ovidrel- 250 mcg)-BFP!!

My TTC Blog: http://lesbianandbaby.blogspot.com/

KT5618
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby nathalie08 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:16 am

Congratulations!!.. enjoy every minute of your pregnancy!!, its amazing!!. Wishing you all the best!
nathalie08
Friend

Postby Cartersnum1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:02 am

WHOO HOO!! Congrats.
Me 30 DF 31 DD born Sept 11 2008

Cartersnum1

Postby 3shapedglasses » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:57 pm

Hmm. I have seen plenty of big women pregnant. I am severely overweight and I get pregnant kinda easily. I got pregnant with my first in April 09, then again in April 10, and then again in April 11.

ETA: I just saw your post that you're pregnant! Congratulations!
Me-25 Single Mama and loving it
#1 -Dec 09
#2 - Jan 11

M/C-June 7,2011 was due Jan 12
3shapedglasses
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Overweight and Infertile