GIRLS WE GOTTA DO THIS!!!!

Is weight affecting your fertility? Talk to others in your shoes here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

GIRLS WE GOTTA DO THIS!!!!

Postby Alyce » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:42 pm

OMG. A friend of mine has been trying to conceive for 6 years, its been 2.5 years since her last miscarriage. she's had about a year of clomid therapy and 4 iuis. all BFN. She just had her first month of TTC since losing 80 pounds, and she's pregnant!

All of us that are overweight trying to conceive, we all need to just do it, we all need to lose weight! Lets do it now!

My weight today: 120.7kg or 266 pounds. Wow, it seems like so much more in pounds!

I have no idea how I'm going to do it, but I'm going to do it!

Maybe I should start with a juice fast or something? I'm going to start my Duromine 30mg tablets again tomorrow.

Any ideas on how to get started? If anyone wants to join that would be great :D
TTC over 3 years. 6 cycles 100mg Clomid, 5 BFNs 1 Ectopic. Lap and fertility testing, DX Unexplained Infertility.
BFP 8/12: Ectopic pregnancy - treated unsucessfully with Methotrexate, then surgically removed in emergency surgery.
10/12: Found out my right tube is deformed and my left tube is badly damaged from the Ectopic pregnancy. Advised to move onto IVF because I have almost no chance of conceiving naturally.
Alyce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: GIRLS WE GOTTA DO THIS!!!!

Postby all-cried-out » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:20 am

wow thats fantastic news for your friend alyce,

Well done for braving the scales, i know what you mean about the pounds sounding more, its scarey.
I had a weekend away last week and put back on the 2 pounds i lost...grrr... but im back on track now, day 2 on weight watchers plan, and going strong. get back on the scales next monday morning, after months of struggling and being constantly starving and craving sugary foods sunddenly i can take it or leave it, Hooray!! i even walked past the chocolate isle in the suppermarket and didnt fancy it at all, in fact i was possitively turn off by the thought of chocolate!! dont get me wrong Im delighted, lol but i think i may be broken :) its just not like me at all, after all i wont pretent i got to this weight by nibbling salad. :)

I would advize against a fasting start, hun. I know its tempting but it never last and your metabolic rate slows down so you its harded to keep it off or loose any more after the first large chunk. Obviousy you've got to do what works for you, but really please please condier one where you can eat actual food, lol. weve both got a long way to go and these quick fixers are fine for people with only 7lbs or so to go. But me and you are looking at a long road to an ideal weight. at 221lbs Im looking at an 81lb weight loss to get to my ideal weight. Its got to be a diet that is sustainable over months and months.

But whatever works for you... :) I think i have done nearly every diet going at one time or another, I lost 28 lbs at slimming world and put it back on, I lost 56lbs doing slim-fast shakes in about 10 weeks but i put that all back on plus another 25lbs besides.
I tried a gillian mckeith diet for a while, that was good but the food was so boring in the end i went to the kebab shop in desperation. :)
I have a gym membership that i havent used for over 3 years...maybe i should dig that out.
I thought once about doing beyonce's fave diet that pretty much amounted to drink hot water, with honey in it and some chilli pepper, thank fully that one didnt go past the thinking about it stage.

What diets have you tried in the past? what worked and what didnt?
all-cried-out
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby all-cried-out » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:21 am

What are duramine tablets for? I tried acai berry suppliments and colon cleansers, that was good for supressing appetite.
all-cried-out
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Alyce » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:03 am

tell me your secret! I could never be turned off by chocolate cake when i'm hungry. If only there was a chocolate cake diet :D

Ive tried Atkins, Bodytrim (kind of, I stayed on the 3 day start for the whole thing), dukan, other protein only ones, calorie controlled low fat, jenny craig, kate morgan (its a shake diet), biggest loser shakes, cabbage soup diet, and when I was a teenager I used to starve myself for 2 week periods. and a heap of other shake based diets.

I think you are right about fasting. I'm a bit psychologically broken when it comes to diets I think. Even when I go on a healthy diet I always end up starving myself and then bingeing, ruining it all. I'm a bit of a all or nothing kind of person I guess. I just need to decide on a healthy diet and stick to it long term. It just seems so much work. At the end of the day all I want to do is crawl into the foetal position and binge on food. In the morning everyday and throughout the day most of the time, I feel physically sick at the thought of eating. When I was a child I was quite neglected, and never ate until I snuck into my parents kitchen at their restaurant (across the road) at night. Im not sure if its because of that or not. My husband doesnt help, hes one of those body types that eats huge amounts of food but looks absolutely perfect, he eats more than me and im twice his size! Its a bit of a vicious cycle I think. Im fat, so I go on a diet, then feel really really crap, so I binge, get even more fat and the cycle starts again!
Lately ive been feeling SOOOO crap. Like I find it really difficult to get through the day, by the early afternoon I'm feeling all shaky, have a headache, want to vomit, and feel like I could just pass out. Its terrible. Everything has checked out fine, I think its just that Ive put on so much weight that ive made myself sick. If I could just eat healthy for a few weeks I would feel SO much better. I know how to eat healthy, but its like its so ingrained in me that its nature for me to be like this. I usually eat nothing until the late afternoon I'll have something small, and then at night I eat loads, and loads of food. Im thinking I might go and see a dietician or something, I really need to sort out my eating and even though I have the knowledge, I just cant seem to put it into practise.

Im glad weight watchers is going well. Maybe I should join. It seems like it would be alot of work though, and I just feel like I couldnt be bothered. Silly, I know.

Duromine is a tablet that is alot like the street drug speed (chemically anyway) , its prescription and it works on your brain to reduce hunger. Its banned in many countries because its quite dangerous, but legal here and doctors prescribe it all the time. Its banned in the US, im not sure about the UK. Going to the OBGYN tomorrow
TTC over 3 years. 6 cycles 100mg Clomid, 5 BFNs 1 Ectopic. Lap and fertility testing, DX Unexplained Infertility.
BFP 8/12: Ectopic pregnancy - treated unsucessfully with Methotrexate, then surgically removed in emergency surgery.
10/12: Found out my right tube is deformed and my left tube is badly damaged from the Ectopic pregnancy. Advised to move onto IVF because I have almost no chance of conceiving naturally.
Alyce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby all-cried-out » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:43 am

:) It felt almost like reading a dairy of my life reading your post :)
I dont have a secret to the chocolate thing, its never happeed to me before, lol, i feel like my best friend has deserted me....

My DH is infuriatingly slim as-well. Although he was so thin he looked ill when i met him and he claimed he had been to the docors and they told him he had an incredibly high metabolism and he couldnt put on weight, Total rot... after a year with me he'd put on two stone (28lbs) lol, the only problem with his weight was that he never ate anything. However unlike me, when he got to a normal weight he stopped putting it on and i didnt.

I think a lot of my recent weight gain is bordem, I eat for something to do, and i have soooo many pitfalls, its not just chocolate, bread is a big baddie for me, Not nice sensible wholewheat bread, but white fluffy crusty bread with heaps of butter on it...mmmm. And cheese....mmmmm. ok stop that now or the cupboards will call.

I think ive just got to the end of the road with the quick fixes, im just making myself miserable with them, and i know its harder this way but i figure its 11/12 weeks till christmas and if i can loose 2lbs a week i could be 22-24lb lighter by then, which would be an awful lot better than loosinf 7lbs in 7 days and putting 8 on the following week. which is my usual pattern.

I dont know about psycological reasons for me putting on weight, i have though long and hard about it because everyone seems to think there should be one, but the truth is i dont think there is for me, I think i just like the wrong things and eat far too much of them.

I was out walking with the family when we went away for a few days last week and i was ashamed of myslef for how unfit i have become, my panting and gasping as we went up hills put a real downer on things for everyone, I must change this, if nothing else.

I know my weight is at the root of my fertility troubles because i no longer ovulate on my own, and my doc said that even if i do get pregnant my chances of a mc are extremely high because of my weight.

I know how to eat healthily too, I have probably studied the affects of different foods on the body and how to eat as much as any dietician, but it doesnt make any difference, I will still do my housework in a couple of hours then have 4 long boring ones to fill till the children get home from school, now i could fill this time walking the dog or going to the gym,but i am more likely to sit on that sofa with a family size packet of kitkats and a good book, or maybe a bowl of crisps (or do you call them chips in austrailia??) beacuse if you put them in a bowl, noone can guess how many packets are in there.

I know i am anemic, because blood test have shown me so, and im probably defficiant in many other things too. I lost a lot of my health when i did that slimfast shake diet for 3 months... I was beautifully thin for a few weeks but, i was so weak, i lost all my muscle tone and had no strength in my arms at all.

So this is it, come what may, i and determind to stick to a healthy plan nd turn my back on the other ones, and if it takes a year, then at least i'll be heading in the right direction, And hopefully have the will power to stick to a proper maintainace plan afterwards, rather that going "Yay!" i reached my goal weight, lets celebrate with chocolate....

I dont know if duromine is legal in the uk, I think most of our weight loss drugs here are based on not allowing fat to be abosorbed into the body rather than anphetamine based, now, i think they were legal at one point though.

Good luck with deciding on your diet.... and good luck with sticking to it, Im on day three today...yay!!
all-cried-out
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Alyce » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:39 pm

I just had my follow up appointment. They said the reason they tried to salvage my left tube by cutting it open and sewing it back up (instead of just removing it) when I had the ectopic is because when they opened me up they saw my right tube is really irregular looking and inflamed. So now I have one badly damaged tube from the ectopic, and one irregular tube that probably doesn't work either. They said they don't know how the RE missed the issue with my right tube when he did my lap. *puts hand up* I know! Because hes an asshole!!
Im feeling so upset now. Ill probably never conceive naturally now. I probably need IVF. We cant afford IVF because we have to send my daughter to an Autism school, which is twice the price of the best private school in our city. I don't see how we can ever afford it without greatly disadvantaging our daughter and her needs. Maybe I should start hoping I win the lottery.

Im still determined to lose weight though. I think I'm going to go on weight watchers. Is it expensive over there? Does it take alot of planning and effort?
Alyce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby all-cried-out » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:28 am

Oh, Alyce, Im so sorry, what dreadful news for you.
Did they say why the right tube was so inflamed? theres still hope hun, theres awyas hope for a miriacle.
Im waiting for one too. both of my tubes are knackered as my tubal reversal was not successful, both of my remaining tubes are considered very short and are so far away from the ovaries now that the likely hood of them catching the egg when it drops is slim. But im not giving up, Im just praying harder everyday and hoping for my miriacle, and in the mean time i am planning to try to make my body as healthy as it can be to recieve mt miracle when it happens.
Dont give up love! I'll be praying for you too.

I know what you mean about the cost of private autism schools, I looked at a few myself for my son Edward who is 14, He has aspergers syndrome and tourettes syndrome, We are very lucky in the uk as he was able to go to a state run special school for a number of years. This september though he earned himself a place back in mainstream school. he worked so hard to overcome some of his issues so that he could go. He wanted to to be able to do gcse exams which are not available in special schools over here. Academically he is very bright and certainly not behind his peers in any subject, so it was only right he had the chance.

He is doing very well at the moment and nowhere near as stressed as i thought he might be. He goes to school, holds it all together then comes in and doesnt speak to anyone but goes straight up to his room and rocks and shreiks for about an hour and lets out everything he has held in all day.

Im so proud of my boy...

Weight watchers isnt hard to do, because you can eat normal food and not have to buy special stuff. as for expense, it is quite pricey to join, but if you go to the ww website you can generally print of a voucher so you can join for a reduced amount, Then i went for a couple of weeks learned the stuff, got the books, and bought a calculator which is invaluable, and the i stopped going and am doing it myself for free. :)

good luck, and i hope your feeling better from your shock soon. xx
all-cried-out
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby all-cried-out » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:23 am

just got hacked off and ate entire packet of choclate chip cookies, seem to have got over my choclate aversion quite well :).

DH's fault, he bored me to death with book keeping. yuck!!
all-cried-out
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby all-cried-out » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:52 am

followed chocolate chip cookines with a large bar of chocolate and a donner kebabs...... back to day 1 . :)
all-cried-out
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Alyce » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:45 pm

LMAO! At least im not the only one! I went to the GP yesterday and she told me my triglycerides are high, to stop eating fatty food. For some reason I went straight to Mcdonalds afterwards :/ oh dear! I get to go to a dietician next week which should be good. The GP has also referred me to a psychologist because the questionare thing for depression/anxiety was high.
I also had high liver enzymes. She said it could be from the methotrexate - but I have a feeling its from the protein only diet (I was on that diet the day I had the blood tests). My hcg was 2. Funny thing, the day before yesterday I took a pregnancy test even though Im on the pill and couldnt be pregnant. Crazy!

I am seriously considering weight watchers. I feel embarrassed to go though. I guess its a good thing to talk to the dietitian about.

That is so awesome about your son! It sounds like hes doing really well! I hate that my daughter has autism, it makes everything so hard. Life is so unfair sometimes for our kids.

They said they didnt know why it was inflamed. They also said it looked deformed. I dont know what to think at the moment. I just feel numb about everything, including my loss.
Alyce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby all-cried-out » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:56 pm

You've had such a horrible time lately. Its no wonder you test high for depression and anxiety, give yourself a break hun.... sometime its hard to be all things to all people and still cope with our own stuff too.

you've lost a baby, found out you have a problem with your tubes and have a lot of extra responsibilities to deal with looking after your daughter. If anyone deserves a "big-Mac" you do :)

Im sorry all this is happening to you... its so unfair sometimes.

Dont worry about feeling embarrased at ww though, certainly the uk one is very user friendly and it has a lot of people much bigger than me and you going. and no-one gets to know what your weight is, thats confidential, unless you choose to tell people they wont know.

AF arrived for me today, so back to the begining again. *groan*
all-cried-out
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Alyce » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:33 pm

"If anyone deserves a "big-Mac" you do" LOL!! That made me laugh!

That sucks about AF arriving :( I definitely don't miss that feeling of despair and disappointment when AF arrives. At least this ttc break has its advantages :) Im not even thinking about ttc at the moment. I guess thats because all hope is dead. These clomid cycles ill be having will put the final nail in the coffin. I suppose its not a bad thing. At least then I wont have that stupid *hope* every cycle and then that awful feeling when AF arrives. I dont know why im on here all the time looking at other peoples pee sticks :/
Im definitely going to go to weight watchers! Ill have to look up the meetings. I feel so intimidated! I hope there are bigger people there like you say! if its all vain idiots who only need to lose 5 kilos (10 pounds) I wont be going back! I like that you can eat basically anything, its just more about balance and restricting the amount of food.

I hope this cycle is better :) Are you trying anything new? I always tell people to use instead cups, I really think they help!
Alyce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lisa508 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:37 am

Sorry girls to butt in...since I haven't been a part of your conversations until now...

I know you keep mentioned Weight Watchers and I'm not a spokesperson or anything even CLOSE, but my husband and I have been doing it since early this spring. I know you mentioned not wanting to go to meetings and I was in the same boat. They actually have it now so you can do everything online and with a smart phone. It costs ~ $19 US/month. My husband has lost over 40 lbs and I've lost 22 (I had a slight set back on vacation, lol). It's like every diet, you do have to watch what you eat, but you can pretty much eat as many fruits and veggies as you like which helps a lot.

Not sure if this helps you or not, but just thought I'd share my two cents worth...

Lisa
Lisa508
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby all-cried-out » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks Lisa, and well done on the weight loss, thats pretty impressive, im sure you must notice difference with that much gone :)

Ive gotta get back on ww. i lost loads a weight there last year and have hit self destruct ever since and put it all back on. but i did love the diet, and it was esy to stick to when i was in the right mind frame, thats the bit im struggling with now. And your right some of the online e-source stuff is great...

Alyce: Im not trying anything different this month, I know its not the stuff im doing that is a fault, but i only have a 20% chance of my short tubes even catching the egg in the first place, and if that doesnt happen then it doesnt matter what i do, sperm cant meet egg, lol.

Guess what, on ww diet, you get 49 weekly extra points to spend on whatever you want through the week on top of your daily allowance.
Just pointing out that out of that 49, quarter pounder with cheese is only 13 points :) and a McDonalds apple pie is only 7.
KFC chicken wings only 4 and their fries are only 8...... This works for me because i lost weight and still had mcdonalds or kfc everyweek :)
Other important detail, Cadburys, curly wurly 3 points and Jaffa cakes only 1

JUST IMAGINE 49 JAFFA CAKES TO BINGE ON!! ON STILL LOOSE WEIGHT...YIPEEE!! :mrgreen:
all-cried-out
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby all-cried-out » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:38 pm

hmmmm, not sure how spend all your point on those things would help the liver issue though :) but its a nice though!!
all-cried-out
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Overweight and Infertile