Two Week Wait

Are you trying intrauterine insemination this month? Or have some questions about IUI? This is the place for you!
Post a reply

Re: March IUI

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:32 am

Jennifer94 wrote:Hey! So good to see another lesbian trying to get pregnant and I wish you all the luck on getting a BFP.
Can I just ask a bit more about your story as I’m 25 no known fertility issues and both optimistic and pessimistic about starting my first iui and would just like to know more about your story. x

Jennifer94 - Hello! I'm also glad to see another lesbian on here :) So my story is that my wife and I started the process in January of 2017. I was 30 (I'm now 31) with no known fertility issues. I am overweight, but not to the point where it has ever impacted my cycles, which are super regular. My wife and I decided that I would carry first because she has PCOS. I assumed it would be relatively easy. We did the first medicated IUI in April 2017 with donor sperm from Manhattan Cryobank (I live in upstate NY). I was on Letrozole and a trigger shot. That one didn't work, so we went right into cycles two and three which also weren't successful. We decided to take some time off to save up money, get an emotional break, and give me some time to try acupuncture. It's tough, especially since I thought the whole process would be easy. On top of everything we have been battling our insurance (Aetna) the whole time. Basically in order for them to cover IUIs, I have to be declared infertile. For a heterosexual couple, they could go into the clinic and say they have been having unprotected sex for a year and could get the "unexplained infertility" diagnosis. For me to get that, I have to do 12 self-pay IUIs, which including sperm, meds, and tests, comes to about $1500 a month. So we would have to pay $18,000 when it would cost a heterosexual couple next to nothing. It's infuriating.

However, we're back in the swing of things now. IUI #4 was 4 days ago, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I don't want to paint the picture that the whole process is negative, because the end could potentially be a baby! But I don't think I was prepared for how emotionally taxing it all is. Best of luck to you! I'm excited to hear how it goes :)

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:35 am

Just got a call from my clinic... IUI tomorrow morning!

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:24 pm

That’s crazy!!! I did not know that it would be that different for heterosexual couples.
I thought it would be straight forward so I’m happy you’ve shared your story cause if it didn’t work first time for me I would be so disheartened but now I know that it’s Norma and not give up!
I’m in the very early stages just made first Dr appointment. We are going private through a fertility clinic and I didn’t know whether to go to my GP first to get blood tests to go prepared or whether they will do that at the clinic on first appointment.
I really hope you & your wife get the BFP you so desperately deserve!!

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Jennifer94 wrote:That’s crazy!!! I did not know that it would be that different for heterosexual couples.
I thought it would be straight forward so I’m happy you’ve shared your story cause if it didn’t work first time for me I would be so disheartened but now I know that it’s Norma and not give up!
I’m in the very early stages just made first Dr appointment. We are going private through a fertility clinic and I didn’t know whether to go to my GP first to get blood tests to go prepared or whether they will do that at the clinic on first appointment.
I really hope you & your wife get the BFP you so desperately deserve!!

Thanks! I think it's definitely normal for it not to work the first time, but it totally could! Also, in my experience our fertility clinic did all of the preconception work (blood tests, genetic tests, HSG/saline dye tests). I'm not sure if all clinics are the same though. I hope the process is smooth and easy for you!

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:49 pm

How long did the preconception work take? I’m one of these people that need to go in completely compared to give me the best shot at starting the iui asap! It’s not overly dear here for the iui, works out at £2500 but this includes absolutely everything (if I do it naturally it won’t be that expensive) but I’ve just totalled everything up to keep myself right and if it works out cheaper great!

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:58 pm

Jenifer94- I think it probably varies. I went in thinking I could start right away but I ended up missing a cycle or two because the testing took awhile. We went for our initial consultation at the clinic in Feb. 2017 and my first IUI cycle was in April 2017. Other places might be able to get the ball rolling sooner though.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:32 pm

KFinNY- I’m so sorry you have to go through that Witt the insurance. I really dont understand the difference and why it matters. If they are going to offer coverage offer or for everyone. My fingers are crossed for you. Keep us posted.

I am 2 days past IUI. Trying not to stress about the syringe hiccup and realize that thinks happen and that it does only take one sperm. I plan on staying super relaxed over the next two weeks. Walking at the gym, acupressure massages, reflexology and movies with the husband.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:58 am

IUI happened at 10 am this morning. Thankfully my favourite nurse did it, that gives me and the wife a bit more confidence. Now, the dreadful TWW. Does anyone have any TWW rituals or tips?
I ended up taking the day off work, which was probably the right decision since Thursdays are the busiest at work. My had to let my boss know what's going on so he understands the situation. This also gives me peace of mind because I like to be transparent about taking time off.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:27 pm

Hopefulmoms- good luck! I have my fingers crossed for you. Keep us updated!

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:21 pm

Jennifer94 and KFinNY and hopefulmoms -- Oh my goodness, I'm so happy to see so many lesbians on here! Hello! And wishing you the best of luck this round!

And hello (and luck) to all!

I'm a queer woman (my husband is FTM trans) TTC for the first time, and I just had my first IUI yesterday morning (March 7). This is our first first try for our very first child, so we're super nervous. We've decided to do our first three tries naturally, since my cycle is very regular. So I didn't do any drugs or trigger shots -- we just ordered the donor sperm from the sperm back on the first day of my cycle, and did the IUI after I got a positive read on my OPK (right on time).

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:33 pm

goldietarheel- wow! There are so many of us! Good luck to you! This two week wait can be tough.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:49 am

Had my 3rd IUI. Took some time as issues with the syringe and getting it past my cervix. Not happened before on previous cycles. Had lots of cramps after!
Good luck all!

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:20 am

Emcbee- good luck to you. We also had issues with the syringe on IUI #3. I’m 6DPO today.

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:25 am

Just checking in with everyone -- how's it going? How's everybody feeling?

I'm 4dpiui, dealing with constipation from my prenatal vitamin (thanks to switching to one with iron) and woke up this morning with a yeast infection. Other than that, I'm just try to not obsess over every little thing my body is doing right now. It's hard!

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:51 am

Goldietarheel- doing well! I’m 8dpo today and having some cramping and back pain. I think it’s due to the progesterone I’m on so I’m trying not to read into it. I think I might test on Thursday (12dpo) because I’m going out of town this weekend without my wife and my beta isn’t until next Monday. Are you planning on testing early?
Post a reply
IsoFresh
Pregnancy Test Strips
FertilAid for Women and Men
OvaCue
OvaGraph
IsoFresh
5 Tips Newsletter