Me drink while wife IUI?

Are you trying intrauterine insemination this month? Or have some questions about IUI? This is the place for you!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Me drink while wife IUI?

Postby Stormtrooper0513 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:49 pm

My wife and I are TTC. We are a lesbian couple and we both tend to enjoy the adult beverages. Since we began TTC, she has stopped drinking and we recently just did our first IUI. We are here in our TWW and very anxious. However, I feel as though with her hormones acting up, it's much easier for me to preform as a loving a dutiful wife if I have a cocktail or two. Is it awful of me to crave alcohol to get through these stressful parts even though she must abstain?
Stormtrooper0513
Friend

Re: Me drink while wife IUI?

Postby Rebeccam14 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:03 pm

I don't think so. My hubby has a drink or two in the evening during the weekend to relax.
Best of luck to you two. Keeping my fingers crossed for a bfp.
Rebeccam14

Postby CloverQueen » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:18 am

Personally, I would want my partner to abstain during the IUI. Or at least refrain while I am around. During pregnancy,I dont see a problem with it, but during this stressful time i would want my partner to be on the same page as what I am going through. Ultimately, it all depends on how your partner feels, if she seems fine and doesnt mind, then go for it!
CloverQueen
Friend

Postby Rebeccam14 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:21 am

You're right it really just depends on how she feels about you having a drink.
Rebeccam14

Postby JenJill15 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:29 pm

Hi stormtrooper!
We are a lesbian couple too! I'm doing the IUI and my wife is a little clueless so the fact that you're on these boards is VERY impressive! Lol my wife and I discussed the drinking and I think every couple is different, but I tell her to enjoy! She works really hard and having some wine is well deserved. She's with me at every appointment so that's all I ask for!
We're planning to do our first IUI this month too! We just got married last month :) good luck and keep us all posted!!!
JenJill15
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Stormtrooper0513 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:16 pm

Thank you everyone! I was feeling bad for even thinking that I really wanted a drink or two, especially to fall asleep. But I keep it low key and don't advertise in front of my wife. Things are going well, just waiting for Friday the 13th for our PT. Fingera crossed!!!

JenJill- congrats on our recent marriage! We got married in September and decided to jump right into making a family. Good luck with your IUI!!!
I actually came to a realization recently that I have to keep in mind. As a lesbian couple, most of the things my wife goes through emotionally, physically and understanding the female hormones, I can always relate to my wife. Now that her body is going through this IUI process and all the appointments, her being poked a s prodded and filled with extra hormones, it's literally the only thing as a woman that I cannot relate to my wife about. I have never felt any of the the things she is feeling and I won't be able to ever fully understand until I go through it myself. So I try to be as patient and calm as possible. She's doing something amazing for our future family and I have to just be supportive. It sucks not being about to relate to her, as I am used to. But we are cruising right along!!!!!
Stormtrooper0513
Friend

Postby JenJill15 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:03 pm

Thank you storm!
Congrats on your recent marriage too! We definitely jumped right in too!
I totally agree. As lesbians we have a totally different understanding of our partners. as much as my wife is left out of how I'm feeling right now, your wife and I have to keep in mind how difficult it is for you guys to go through it without actually being the one to have the baby. I'm sure it's incredibly difficult to be on the other side, but I won't know what that's like either! It's definitely going to make us stronger!
When is your Tww over? We are only at cd11 so we're still about a few days from the IUI. How is your wife feeling? Any crazy symptoms?
JenJill15
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Tabby0418 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:06 pm

My husband and I normally drink together, after an IUI I don't drink (actually I will have ONE beer the first couple days, but then nothing after that...helps with initial stress...I know I shouldn't though). I do personally get crazy p o'ed when my husband drinks more then 1 drink after that, seriously if I can't...then he can't hahaha.

But really, I would either drink when she isn't around...OR just ask her. Better to be open about it and explain reasoning rather then stressing yourself on if she is upset you are drinking.

Best of luck to you both!!
Tabby0418
Friend

Postby Stormtrooper0513 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:27 am

JenJill-
We take our PT on Friday! Super excited and nervous. She has had some symptoms. Lots of cramping, mood swings, body aches. It's definitely been a change. She is very sensitive to everything so she feels it all. I try to be as supportive and loving as possible. Easier sometimes than others.
Good luck with your IUI and I truly hope the doctor does NOT have to use that damn tenaculum! I hope it's quick and easy for you :)
Stormtrooper0513
Friend

Postby JenJill15 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:58 pm

Storm trooper!!! That's so effing exciting!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post what happens! 2 days away is so awesome. You guys have a lot of self control to not test earlier... Good luck!!! FX!!!
JenJill15
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to IUI