IUI w/ Donor Sperm

Are you trying intrauterine insemination this month? Or have some questions about IUI? This is the place for you!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

IUI w/ Donor Sperm

Postby Jaime_P » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:19 pm

Any else doing IUI via Donor Sperm? My husband and I have been TTC for 7 years. We are on our 2nd IUI with Donor sperm (he has pituitary disorder that has depleted all of his sperm). Also doing it unmedicated because all of my hormone levels are normal (with many years of work this happened).

I'm just looking for others who can relate to how stressful it is from the moment you know you are ovulating to scheduling the shipping of the sperm, to getting it, and for us, the dr requires we bring the tank to the hospital for IUI.. They don't accept direct shipping. All of it is so stressful, its hard to think you are supposed to remain calm! Luckily i do weekly acupuncture treatments where she really focuses on de-stressing and encouraging implantation!

Can ANYONE relate? :shock:
Jaime
TTC 7 years without any formal treatments due to bad insurance until now
First IUI 11.11.15 unmedicated
BFN 11.24.15
Second IUI 12.12.15 unmedicated
Jaime_P
Friend

Re: IUI w/ Donor Sperm

Postby MomSolo » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:51 pm

Oh my goodness, that shipping situation sounds very frustrating.

I can relate on some elements. I am currently pregnant via donor sperm (after 5 tries). The whole process of finding a donor was all kinds of surreal. Things that wouldn't really make a difference to me in my partner suddenly carried odd weight. Deciding how many vials to get was what I found the most stressful.

I was lucky and my clinic accepted direct shipments AND stored vials for me, so after the initial legwork, it was pretty smooth sailing.

I tried with the same donor four times, and then on my fifth try I had to switch donors and bam! I got pregnant (that was also my first cycle on injectables). Part of me thinks my first donor just wasn't compatible. Who knows?
MomSolo

Postby maria_79 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:43 pm

Hello, we did IUI with donor sperm 5 years ago. My husband had two vasectomy reversal surgeries but neither worked. It was actually exactly 5 years ago today that I got a positive home pregnancy test after TTC for 5 years :). We now have a beautiful little 4 year old girl and we're planning to try another IUI in the next month or two for a second baby. Thankfully we had enough money saved to buy multiple vials of our donor up front(and the 1st one worked) so we have vials in storage to try for a full sibling. We're very thankful for this option but the vials, storage, and shipping sure are expensive! Our clinic doesn't have storage so we have to have the tank shipped each time around my ovulation. The shipping each time is $235(for a 14 day tank). Thankfully our IUI only costs $200-$300 each try though. I however did/will take Femara for my IUI. We figured that we wanted to make sure that we got a good ovulation if we were spending so much on the sperm, shipping, and IUI. I hope that your 2nd IUI worked and you get your BFP! I'd love to keep in touch and hear and update!

MomSolo, congrats on your pregnancy! I bet it was switching donors that did it! I totally believe that some people are just more compatible than others!
maria_79

Postby Jaime_P » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:20 am

Oh ladies! What an interesting chain of events. I was supposed to ovulate on day 16-19. Here we are at day 22. I'm patiently waiting for this next IUI and the stress of the IUI/IVF Process has been overwhelming. In addition my work schedule has been hectic and I've been worried about ovulating and needing to leave work for IUI which wouldn't have been ideal this week with the responsibilities I had. God knew all this - and he's the master physician, so hopefully today is surge and the weekend will be IUI. Will sleep deprivation play a factor along with stress to delayed ovulation?

And let's not forget about the tank! I set up shipping for last week because I've never ovulated late like this. We had to ship it back and get an new tank!
Jaime
TTC 7 years without any formal treatments due to bad insurance until now
First IUI 11.11.15 unmedicated
BFN 11.24.15
Second IUI 12.12.15 unmedicated
Jaime_P
Friend

Postby deenee07 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:40 pm

My wife and I use donor sperm, for obvious reasons and it does get very stressful and frustrating. The part that is most stressful to me is having to have everything timed so incredibly perfectly on top of having your body ready because we aren't able to just have sex multiple times around ovulation time. That's a lot of pressure. I also find myself analyzing the donors in a way I would never think of any other time. Every blip on the medical history or GPA and what college degree they have suddenly turn into deal breakers lol. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does this. We are going in for a consult at the end of this month and hopefully doing an iui in February. We have a 2 year old daughter from an iui in 2012.
deenee07
Friend

Postby Ashlie82 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:00 pm

I am so happy too see that I am not alone in this. I'm new here and I am TTC on my own. I have an amazing boyfriend who can't have kids (vasectomy over 15 years ago, not interested in reversing it). I've been seeing a fertility doctor for a few months. Hoping to actually TTC next cycle. Had a HSG last month, tiny polyp but the Dr. doesn't think it will cause any issues. On CD3 today. Just received Ovasitol, also on Fish oil and prenatal vitamins. Will begin Dexamethasone on CD1 next month and then Letrozole on CD3. And hopefully will have an IUI in March!! Trying to give it the best shot for implantation!!
Ashlie82

Postby vraklis » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:31 am

How did it go for you, Jaime? We have a son by donor insemination and just did IUI #2 for baby #2 five days ago. (The first one didn't work.) I have always done monitored cycles with donor IUI and it helps the nerves a lot but even that way, I had a major freak out our first IUI, thinking they were wrong and that I ovulated early (as you've noted, timing is everything. With the (big) additional cost of the sperm and shipping, it's so stressful to imagine the timing isn't right!). With a monitored cycle they do an internal ultrasound of your ovaries to see how the follicles are developing. Once you have one (or more) that are 20 mm, they schedule you for a trigger shot (Ovidrel for me). This is supposed to trigger ovulation, but of course I'm having a freak out right at this moment because I'm convinced I did NOT ovulate from the trigger shot and am just now ovulating, 5 days after the IUI. They say that frozen sperm only lives 24 hours once thawed so if my fears are true, I'm out this cycle. Feeling so bummed. So yeah, I can relate. I would love to hear how your first IUI went!
"Let your hope make you glad. Be patient in time of trouble and never stop praying." Romans 12:12

Me: 35 DH: 48
TTC since 2000
MF, delayed ovulation, low estrogen, luteal phase defect, low
DS conceived through first donor insemination 11/23/13
DIUI April 2015 - BFN, AF came 9DPO
DIUI with estrogen, Ovidrel, and progesterone 3/9/16
vraklis
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby jlpark » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:48 pm

We're currently 5dpiui on IUI #2 this round - have a 2yr old daughter from IUI #3 last time. Using same sperm donor so full siblings. Have a female partner so no choice really! Had succes twice last time but lost first one at 6wks, and 2nd one is now 2.

Our donor is part of the clinic we use (in New Zealand) so no shipping issues - is stored at our local clinic.

Using clomid, puregon this time - no trigger this time as I managed to surge on my own. Have full feeling in lower abdo for the last few days, back ache, grumpy quickly. Fingers crossed.

Good luck everyone and sticky baby dust.
jlpark
Friend

Return to IUI