Spotting after IUI - how much is normal?

Are you trying intrauterine insemination this month? Or have some questions about IUI? This is the place for you!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Spotting after IUI - how much is normal?

Postby Elli » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:03 am

Sorry if this post is a bit TMI.

I had my first IUI yesterday. It was difficult, as it transpired that I have a retroverted uterus and also a cervix that sort of zigzags(!). It took three attempts for the nurse to be able to do the procedure, and she had to try two different catheters, eventually managing to do it with one that was a bent shape. It was very painful (I don't want to scare anyone who hasn't done this yet, I know for most people it is just uncomfortable and it was probably bad for me because my insides are shaped like a rollercoaster, by the sound of it...)

I knew to expect some spotting after the procedure, and the nurse said that because she had had to work pretty hard to be able to get the catheter in, there would definitely be some blood afterwards. There wasn't really much at all yesterday, but today there is quite a bit more than I'd anticipated. It's not bright red, it's just brown spots/streaks, but it seems to be mixed with clear discharge (which could be the lube that was used...). But there was so much of it earlier that a panty liner didn't contain it and I've had to change to using a sanitary pad.

Has anyone else had spotting/discharge to this extent? With this being my first time I just don't know how much is normal.

Thanks.
Elli
Friend

Return to IUI