February IUI

Are you trying intrauterine insemination this month? Or have some questions about IUI? This is the place for you!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Re: February IUI

Postby ebp8987 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:44 am

How's it going girl? Any new news your way? I think everyone else has fallen off this board but us haha
me: 29 DH: 29 DD: Hadley 1/11/15
Diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Slight MFI indicated.

February 28th 2nd IUI
March 10th 11dpiui BFP
March 11th 12dpiui Beta = 58
March 14th 15dpiui Beta = 380

ebp8987
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby amssmith » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:32 am

AF started yesterday. =( I can't have the HSG done right now. I'm waiting to hear back from RE on what that means our next step is. It would cost $500 IF they did it in their clinic but I am apparently both too tall and too heavy to have it done there and would have to go to the hospital instead - raising the price from several hundred to several thousand $$ - out of my price range. I'm not massively huge/fat but apparently their clinic tables are only designed for women 5'9 or shorter and under 200 lbs. While I am not much over that, I am indeed over their limit, on both accounts (I'm tall and not one of those super tall skinny models that you want to feed a sandwich). I was devastated and now I'm just sitting in limbo - watching my sister with her beautiful baby girl that I'm not sure she even wanted. I know she loves her but she is still an inconvenience in her life and I just want to strangle my sister and tell her I would kill to have gotten her oops.
Morphology Issues and PCOS :doh:

Jan 31 - 1st attempt at IUI (131 mil); Feb 14 - B. F. N. :cry:
Mar 4 - 2nd attempt at IUI (28 mil); Mar 16 & 18 - B. F. N.s :cry:
Apr 4 - 3rd attempt at IUI (111 mil); in the dreaded TWW
amssmith
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby ebp8987 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:34 am

I'm so sorry to hear that. That's a crazy rule to me. Do they not have many women over 5'9? I know waiting is such a hard thing to do. Struggling with IF you're waiting for literally EVERYTHING. I hate that one more thing has to be added to your struggle. Are you in the window for your husband's new flex money?

February 28th 2nd IUI
March 10th 11dpiui BFP

ebp8987
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby amssmith » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:14 am

He starts the new job Monday so I'm within the window if I were to do an HSG next week. If we do a 4th round of IUI, we'd have to go tomorrow but they haven't called. There is enough in my flex account for a CD3 u/s in the account but obviously I would need to know. I left a voicemail for the girl in the RE office just now. His window will open Monday so we could cover a clinic charge but it would be more than his entire year's account to do it in the hospital. I think it's a crazy rule too... funny, even the nurse thought it was ridiculous. Apparently the risk of a weight problem increases with women over a certain height so they saw no reason to have a big enough room and long enough table for women over 5'9. It's so beyond ridiculous. I"m just sitting in limbo - miserable miserable limbo.

amssmith
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby ebp8987 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:11 am

Great news. I hope she called you back on Friday to give you a game plan. Sometimes It feels like they aren't on the same schedule or time crunch as we, the patients can be on. I had some, what I call moderate/heavy, brown bleeding saturday. Made me realize how stupid it is that there is no weekend OBGYN. My options per the emergency, on call doctor were I could go to the ER $233 or wait until Monday to be worked in by the OB. That's ridiculous in my opinion. I decided to go to one of those places that has the 3D/4D ultrasounds and we got to see the baby. Heart beating strong and they even wiggled around a bit so it put my mind at ease. I have to go today to the OB just to get checked out but I feel good that everything should be ok. I think the RE noticed 2 possible hemorrhages when she did my first ultrasound so I guess that's where the bleeding could have come from.

February 28th 2nd IUI
March 10th 11dpiui BFP

ebp8987
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby amssmith » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:03 pm

I needed some time to decompress and absorb my visit. They tell me I need to just skip to IVF. But in order for us to accomplish that, we have to hold onto the new 2500 in DH's fsa until January 1, plus my new 2500 for next year, plus his 2500 for next year so that we have $7500 in January to cover 75% of the first round of IVF (so all my medical expenses need to come out of pocket for the next 8 months), and then we could put the other 3k we need on the credit card and do ONE hail mary all-in attempt at IVF in January. Sadly, that is what this has come to. After that we'd have to wait another year or borrow another 10k. =(

How was your doctor's appointment? Everything ok?

amssmith
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby ebp8987 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:47 am

well that seems quick to just jump like that. Especially before having your HSG. Did they say why they wait to do the HSG, instead of checking your tubes before any procedures take place. I just think it's a little preemptive to assume IVF is the next step not knowing if you have a blocked tube or something. How are things going with the new location of your clinic? Are you able to get most things done there? The cost is so daunting but you have a plan in place and that's important. I think success rates for IVF jump from 20% (IUI) to 60% (IVF) so at least the money is worth it FX.

Baby is fine. I have a subchorionic hemorrhage that was the cause of the bleed. Still there but should get smaller and go away. They'll recheck it at the anatomy scan to be sure.

February 28th 2nd IUI
March 10th 11dpiui BFP

ebp8987
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby amssmith » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:46 am

Well the HSG would cost me several thousand dollars because they can't do it in the clinic - so he thinks for my money one HSG is near half the cost of IVF and if they don't find anything we burned 5k and maybe didn't get ourselves any further. He thinks IVF basically means more bang for our buck in the long run. He can send me back for a laproscopy to my main GYN and that might be covered by insurance for the PCOS but he's not sure it would really get us anywhere. But in the meantime he'll be drugging me and doing a TON of blood work to get my vitamin D and other vitamin levels that are bonkers low now to where they are supposed to be so that 8 months from now I'm super healthy, maybe a few pounds lighter and IVF will have a really high success probability. Plus he tells me that if we create multiple embryos and save them, a second kid would only be about $2400 to do that round of IVF...

amssmith
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby ebp8987 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:28 am

well there's a silver lining at least! I think that it's utterly BS that insurance doesn't cover the HSG. That could be an impending health issue if you do have a blocked tube. I work for the state and my insurance is pretty good. They will cover infertility testing but not treatment so my HSG was just a copay. I don't understand how the insurance industry is ok with themselves and how they operate. My OBGYN gave me my "bill" just to see them throughout the pregnancy is $600 plus I'll have the hospital bill, delivery bill, baby bill, anesthesiologist bill etc. Why are we even paying into insurance. My 15 month old was in the NICU for a week right after birth and we STILL don't have a bill. The hospital has billed my insurance and my husband (that's who's insurance she's on) insurance for the same days in the hospital for the same things. How is that even legal? I'll get off my soapbox now.

February 28th 2nd IUI
March 10th 11dpiui BFP

ebp8987
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby FLGal » Sun May 01, 2016 5:24 pm

Hey amssmith, I've been following you since our March IUIs were on the same day and I was rooting for both of us. Mine didn't work, I skipped the next cycle and just did my second attempt, so I went to check up on how you were doing. Saw what you wrote about the HSG test and, well, joined this site so I could reach out and write you about where I did mine. It was in a hospital in Miami, Mount Sinai and with no insurance, it cost $250. I saw that you're in Tally, so maybe you can plan a nice trip around it and it still work out cheaper. I would call over to the hospitals in Jax too since they have a few, and maybe you'll luck out in pricing over there. Good luck!
FLGal

Postby ebp8987 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:28 am

amssmith how are you hanging in there girl?

February 28th 2nd IUI
March 10th 11dpiui BFP

ebp8987
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby amssmith » Wed May 04, 2016 10:44 am

I'm functioning - mostly. I did a whole slew of blood work on Saturday morning. I'm just waiting on those results now and then I have to make another appointment with the RE to decide whether or not to do a laproscopy (he thinks he can send a note to my normal GYN and the GYN can get it covered under my insurance). There would still be a copay and such - we'll see. In the meantime, I am not going back on the BC although RE said I could. I'm miserable off of it because the PCOS is so painful but I can't let go of the hope it might happen naturally between now and January when we can do the round of IVF. The depression surrounding this is worse some days over others. My office manager's husband was just diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer so I'm trying to just keep my own issues in perspective. I can't seem to get pregnant, but my life could be so much worse.

amssmith
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby ebp8987 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:47 am

I'm glad there's a good plan in place. I know how frustrating it is though. All the red tape is nuts. I know January feels like forever away but it will be here before you know it and what an opportunity that will bring! I've heard that PCOS does bring a lot of pain. I hate that for you. I don't blame you though for not going back on BC. I was on it for a while and I can't help but wonder what all it might have done to my body, even though it's not suppose to affect you fertility wise. You never know, you may get an all natural babe after all this time, effort and heartache. I so hope that for you. I hope you are that person who comes up with a BFP in the midst of waiting for IVF. Fingers, toes and everything else crossed for you!

February 28th 2nd IUI
March 10th 11dpiui BFP

ebp8987
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby ebp8987 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:47 am

Hey girl! did you get your results back from the RE?

February 28th 2nd IUI
March 10th 11dpiui BFP

ebp8987
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby amssmith » Thu May 12, 2016 9:31 am

I haven't. Honestly I'm afraid to call. I'm considering just waiting until after June 1 (apparently DH's FSA account doesn't actually open until June 1). It's just more than I can deal with since either way it's going to be January 1 before we try.

amssmith
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

PreviousNext

Return to IUI