How many rounds of IUI before moving on to IVF?

Are you trying intrauterine insemination this month? Or have some questions about IUI? This is the place for you!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

How many rounds of IUI before moving on to IVF?

Postby HopeSIN » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:37 pm

Hello ladies,

wanted to hear how many rounds of IUI you guys did/are doing before you are moving on to IVF? For us it's male factor - would love to get some input since we're now slowly thinking of considering making the "big step up".

Thank you in advance! :)
Me 31
DH 37- male factor inf.
TTC 1.5 years
IUI #1: Jan 16 BFP!
May 16: Stillbirth :angel:
IUI #2 - IUI#5: Sept - Dec 16 -> all BFN
Dec16: laparoscopy & hysteroscopy
IUI #6: Jan 2017, BFN :(
Feb'17: first round of IVF
HopeSIN
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: How many rounds of IUI before moving on to IVF?

Postby Juli_S » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:34 am

Hi HopeSIN,

our doctor recommended we should try it 3 times, before moving on to IVF. She said that, after that, the rate of success is quite low to justify more attempts. I'm not sure if she meant it in our specific case, but we fall into the category of "unexplained infertility", since all tests and exams conducted always came back normal. I've read that IUI should be quite helpful when there's a male factor involved, so maybe in your case it might be different.

I'm currently in the 2ww of the second IUI, fingers crossed!
Good luck to you and all the best!
Juli_S
Friend

Postby Danaa » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:03 am

Like the previous poster said IuI works best when the infertility is caused by the male factor and in most cases doctors recommend 3-4 tries and then suggest ivf.Good luck
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Crumpet » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:07 am

I'm going to third this recommendation of three IUIs. Statistics indicate that if IUI has not worked by the third time that you are statistically less likely to have a BFP with subsequent IUIs.

There can be other factors that would influence a doctor suggesting continuing or discontinuing IUI. In my case, for example, the RE has suggested we move to IVF more quickly since I am 39. We have no other fertility issues other than my age so he suggested one IUI and then probably moving on to IVF. I'm in the TWW of IUI #1 right now.
Me: 39
DH: 34
TTC #1 since: May 2016
My Ovulation Chart
Crumpet
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby HopeSIN » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:37 am

Thanks so much ladies for the answer - sorry for the late reply. I was travelling last week.

Juli, how has it been going so far for you? You should be able to test soon, right?

Danaa, thanks for your input! I saw from your signature that you guys did IVF. Did your doctor want you to do a diagnostic laparoscopy before doing your first IVF? My obgyn does but I'm not sure if it's really necessary as such.

Crumpet, yeah - you are totally right, usually after 3 tries it won't work. For us, it's male factor infertility (1% morphology and other stats also not good) and we actually did get pregnant on our first IUI in Jan 2016. Sadly I had a stillbirth in the 6th month of pregnancy, so now we're back to square one. I'm on IUI #3 right now, currently 3dpiui. What day are you at right now?
Me 31
DH 37- male factor inf.
TTC 1.5 years
HopeSIN
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Danaa » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:50 am

Hope I had a lap two years ago but not bcs my doc requested it,it was my attempt to unblock my tubes and hope to achieve a natural pregnancy,before an Ivf procedure I would recommend getting a histeroscopy to check ur uterus.
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HopeSIN » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:16 pm

Thanks for your input Danaa! Where are you currently at in your TTC journey?
Me 31
DH 37- male factor inf.
TTC 1.5 years
HopeSIN
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Danaa » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:14 am

HopeSIN wrote:Thanks for your input Danaa! Where are you currently at in your TTC journey?

Im currently waiting for a review on my ivf cycle,i had a chemical pregnancy or a an early misscariage call it as you want.
We are trying again once the doc gives us the ok
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Crumpet » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:25 pm

HopeSIN -- I'm so sorry for your loss. Its great that your first IUI worked for you. It sounds like you and your DH are ideal candidates for IUI. It works better for MFI than for other issues. I'm in the TWW for IUI #2. My RE decided to squeeze one more in since my last IUI cycle was short. We have an IVF preparation meeting next week to get our ducks in a row just in case we need it (likely!). I hope your third IUI does the trick for you.

Danaa -- I'm sorry about your loss also. Its great that you have some FEs that you can work with. I hope this works for you!
My Ovulation Chart
Crumpet
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby HopeSIN » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:02 am

Crumpet, unfortunately I got a BFN at 12dpiui today, so I'm out for this round. That was the 3rd round. We will do a 4th "bonus" round in November but then plan on doing IVF in Jan/Feb.
I already had a small info session with my doc and here in Singapore, where I live, doctors do usually want to do a laparoscopy on you before starting IVF to see what they will have to work with and to make sure if there's no undetected issues (eg. mild endometriosis that you don't even know you have). So even though for us it's MFI, it was still recommended.

So will your November round also be the last round of IUI and then moving on to IVF?
Me 31
DH 37- male factor inf.
TTC 1.5 years
HopeSIN
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Crumpet » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:44 pm

HopeSIN -- I'm so sorry that your third round didn't work. Let's hope that round four works for you! If you end up doing IVF, I think it makes sense to do that exploration to make sure there are no undetected issues. It takes more time initially but may save you a lot of time in the long run.

I had two IUIs in October -- one at the beginning of the month, which was a BFN, and the second which was at the end of the month. I'm 7dpiui for the second one. I'm meeting my RE tomorrow to talk about IVF. I'm 39 and my ovarian reserve is not so red hot so we want to get pregnant as soon as possible. IVF has better chances of success. We'll see what the RE says though tomorrow!
My Ovulation Chart
Crumpet
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby mimimama » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:45 am

I come across the opinion that 5 IUI rounds if a lady is 30 or younger, and 3 rounds if a lady is 35 and older
Me 31, DH 40. TTC 5 years. Unexplained infertility.
December 2015- IVF #1 BFN
May/June 2016- new doctor, IVF consultation in Gdansk Poland
October 2016- IVF #2 Invicta BFP!!!
mimimama
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Juli_S » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:35 am

HopeSIN wrote:Juli, how has it been going so far for you? You should be able to test soon, right?

Hi, Hope! So sorry for not writing sooner. Second round didn't work, so I kind of kept myself away from the forums to control my anxiety on the third round. The doctor was having some difficulties to adjust my drugs (sometimes I'd overovulate, sometimes it wouldn't be enough), so she was keen on moving on to IVF. But we insisted on a third attempt (a chance, even small, is still a chance, right?) We did the procedure on the 23rd of Nov. I was kind of dealing with it as one last step before moving on to IVF. But on the 7th we got the BFP!!! Still can't quite believe it, and I'm trying not to celebrate too much before the first scan (scheduled only for the 5th of Jan). We're also a bit anxious cause we decided to go ahead with four follicles, which increases the chance of multiple pregnancies - I guess not even the doctor was believing it would happen.

Anyway, it's been more than 3 years since we started TTC. It's not been easy, as I imagine you girls here know all too well. But I find that positive stories really help.

How far are you in your fourth round? What about you, Crumpet? I wish you all the best of luck!
Juli_S
Friend

Postby MMG2016 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:10 am

Juli_S, thanks so much for sharing your success story!! I'm currently in my the TWW of my 3rd IUI, mentally preparing myself for IVF, but praying for a miracle! This helps give me hope!! Congratulations!!!
MMG2016

Return to IUI