Very First IUI Cycle With Letrozole (Femara) Any Advice?

Are you trying intrauterine insemination this month? Or have some questions about IUI? This is the place for you!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Very First IUI Cycle With Letrozole (Femara) Any Advice?

Postby TheIMQueen » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:41 am

Hey my name is Aleesha this will be my very first IUI. I started my period on the 28th and went for my blood work and ultrasound yesterday (03-02). I am kind of nervous because on my first appointment my dr. said he was going to put me on a round of clomid but then after taking a look at my ultrasound changed it to letrozole 2.5mg twice a day for 5 days. I go back for another ultrasound Wednesday (03 - 08) if everything looks okay then trigger shot and then iui Friday (03 - 10). I really hope it works on the first round but if not all I can do is keep the faith. Any advice?
TheIMQueen

Re: Very First IUI Cycle With Letrozole (Femara) Any Advice?

Postby SJFL412 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:34 pm

I just had my follow up RE appointment where they recommended Femara, trigger shot and IUI. Doctor didn't want me on Clomid because it looks like I have LOTS of potential follicles that could push out eggs, and they don't want to make my ovaries too trigger happy, i.e. Release several eggs at once. So she said that in cases where potential follicle numbers look good they recommend Femara and starting at a low dose to keep the multiples risk down.

Might be why your doctor first recommended Clomid and then changed to Femara. I'm sorry but I don't have any other advice as I haven't yet started this process myself! Good luck!
SJFL412
Friend

Postby TheIMQueen » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:48 am

Thank you that is very helpful. Comes to find out that the reason he changed me from Clomid to Femara is because they think I have PCOS. They havent diagnosed me with it yet because they say it could just look like that because of my age (I am 20) and they dont wont to mis-diagnose me which is the reason they havent put me on progesterone.

IUI Update:

So I went to my appointment Wednesday (03 - 08) and I had about 10 follicles but the largest one was only at 10mm. Due to this they pushed back my IUI and told me that it might be Monday or Tuesday. So they had me come back for another ultrasound on (03 - 10) to make sure that we could still go ahead Monday for the IUI. They had me purchase and drop off my sperm donor vial the same day so they could have it washed and ready for Monday. The same thing happened at this appointment. They did the ultrasound and even though out of 10 they found 3 or 4 that could probably stick (once Mature) the biggest one was now only 13 which means they had to push the IUI back again. They dont want to put me on any more meds so they made me another u/s appointment on Monday (03 - 13) to see if they will grow any bigger over the weekend. If everything looks good he said IUI could be Wednesday or Thursday. I really hope everything looks on Monday because its cd12 and I am really freaking out. Please send baby dust my way. And good luck on your journey.
TheIMQueen

Postby Ajb38 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:17 am

Hi, I also am about to have my first IUI this week so I hope you don't mind me following along with you. I took 5mg of letrozole starting last Tuesday, the 7th for 5 days. I go back to the dr tomorrow for an ultrasound to see how everything looks and will hopefully have the IUI Thursday. Although I know that can always be moved depending on what they see in the ultrasound.
I hope everything looks good for you when you go for your ultrasound today. And I look forward to getting your feedback on the IUI before I get mine done.
Ajb38
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby TheIMQueen » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:25 pm

AJB38 - We can be IUI buddies. So I went to my appointment today (03 - 13) and I didnt get any bad news but it wasnt the best news. They told me that my follicles are growing extremely slow but they dont want to me on any more meds because that could result in an extremely high chance of multiples since they are already kind of big. They keep saying that since this is already cycle day 12 for me that it is really unusual the way things are going. My NP said that I should get pregnant on first try but if not they are going to put me on different meds. Today my biggest follicle was at 16 and my second biggest was at 13. They scheduled us for another u/s on wednesday (03 - 15). Two different things could happen wednesday. They told us to buy a first response OPK test and if it is positive tuesday or wednesday morning then the IUI will be Wednesday and if not then I also have to check thursday just to make sure that I am not ovulating on my own but if I dont then its trigger and IUI thursday or Friday so we might just be IUI twins. We might be stuck in this TWW together. Good luck on your ultrasound keep me updated.
TheIMQueen

Postby Ajb38 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:41 am

IMQUEEN- we will most definitely be TWW buddies!! I am so glad to have someone else to go through this crazy journey with. I just went to the RE for a consultation and here I am 2 weeks later about to have an IUI. I really didn't think I wanted to do any invasive treatments, but once I found out how easy and relatively inexpensive IUI is I couldn't resist.
That's great news that they think it should work for you on the first try. I hope we are both that lucky.
What meds have you taken so far?
Ajb38
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby TheIMQueen » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:42 am

AJB38 - I did the same thing. I knew I wanted this but when I went to the consultation I didnt think I was going to go forward either until I heard everything. Yours will work on the first try because I sent a massive amount of baby dust your way. They skipped clomid and put me right on letrozole (femara). Let me know how your app goes I know it is going to be good news.
TheIMQueen

Postby Ajb38 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:33 am

IMQUEEN-Just got back and feeling pretty bummed. Only had ONE follicle!!! It is a good size though at 24.3mm. So we are moving ahead as scheduled with just the one. I trigger tonight and go at 8am Thursday morning for IUI. I am feeling a bit crampy though. Going to take an OPK in a little while. I am nervous I may ovulate before then. She said if I get a + OPK today they will move the IUI to tomorrow.
Ajb38
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby TheIMQueen » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:21 pm

AJB38 - Don't be bummed. I just came from my appointment today and also only had one follicle but that's all it takes. Your follicle is bigger than mine which is only at 20mm. Because of that they moved me back from Thursday to Friday (03 - 17) at 10 am. I trigger tonight at 10 pm and I run the risk of ovulating early too but they said it was okay as long as its in the 36 hour window. I also have been cramping and a little spotting which is a first for me. Let me know how tomorrow goes its going to be great. Good luck sending baby dust your way,
TheIMQueen

Postby Ajb38 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:47 am

IMQUEEN-I had my IUI this morning. Not bad at all. Felt one little uncomfortable pinch and that was about it. Had some pretty bad cramping last night before I went to sleep so I'm thinking I definitely ovulated before the 36 hours. Hopefully it wasn't too far off though. Just working from home today. Trying to rest and be as stress free as possible. Thanks for the well wishes!!!
I'm sure you will do great tomorrow also. 20mm is a good size also. We just have to keep thinking that it only takes one!!! Now the dreaded TWW...ugh.
Ajb38
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby TheIMQueen » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:58 pm

AJB38 - Sorry for the late update but I experienced so much cramping and bleeding right after my IUI. I had the IUI this morning (03 - 17). They had trouble putting the spectrum in so they had to take it out and put in a new one. I felt so much pain during the procedure they had to keep telling me to relax. I didn't sleep at all the night before due to excitement but after the IUI I experienced the worst cramping ever and there was a lot of blood. They said it was normal and that I was for sure ovulating. I know the TWW is going to kill me but I really believe that its going to work this cycle because of the way things played out. We found out today (right before they inseminated me) that my NP (who use to work at the sperm bank we used) was the one who froze the sperm of the donor we used. The reason we believe it was meant to be is because the sperm donor we used today was not our original donor. Our first choice ended up only having IUI vials and we needed ICI. Do to that we ended up having to use our back up donor. I feel really positive about this cycle working it really is meant to be. We all are going to get a BFP this cycle.

Also I started eating pineapple core today and drinking 100% pomegranate juice which I am going to continue doing for the next 5 days cause I heard it helps it stick. I don't know if its true or not but it cant hurt right? Is anyone else doing this?
TheIMQueen

Postby Ajb38 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:39 am

IMQUEEN- I am so sorry to hear you were in so much pain. I had some cramping afterwards but nothing like you described. I am one of those that believe everything happens for a reason. I am sure there was a reason that you had to go to your back up donor. Really does seem like this is it for you!!! I hope you are feeling better now.

I am not having cramping anymore. 3 days in to the TWW. I go back to the dr on Thursday to test my progesterone. Are they testing yours?
Ajb38
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby TheIMQueen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:20 am

No they arent testing mine which I thought was weird. They keep saying its cause of my age but I still feel like they should test it just to be safe. They are also not doing bloodwork to find out. They told me to just take a HPT on the 27th. I took one yesterday and today. The 1st one was positive and the second was also but I know its way too early and that its just a false positive probably from the trigger.
TheIMQueen

Postby Ajb38 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:01 am

Yes, I'm sure it is just the trigger. I was thinking about testing on day 7 or 8 just to see if the trigger shot is still in me. Then for real starting on day 11.
Ajb38
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Ajb38 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:07 am

I just tested this morning for fun. It was positive, but definitely the trigger as I am only 5pdo.
Ajb38
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Next

Return to IUI