Cancel IUI due to multiple mature follicles?

Are you trying intrauterine insemination this month? Or have some questions about IUI? This is the place for you!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

Cancel IUI due to multiple mature follicles?

Postby clapyourhands86 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:29 pm

Hello, everyone. My wife and I (lesbian couple) are on our 4th round of IUI. This time, we have four mature follicles (21mm, 19mm, 24mm, 25mm). Our doctor is giving us the option to cancel due to the chances of multiples. We have agreed that we are prepared for twins, but anything more than that will just be too much. At that same time, selective reduction might be out of the question depending on the circumstances. Have any of you been in a similar situation? Would you cancel? I keep asking for the likeliness of triplets or quads happening,but the doctors and nurses will not answer directly. We do not want to wait any longer if we can avoid it and it seems like this will give us the highest chance of at least one!
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:26 pm

Re: Cancel IUI due to multiple mature follicles?

Postby Danaa » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:07 pm

I think this is a personal decision,you and ur wife should do Whta you feel is best for you.
The 24,25mm follies are too mature and i think it doesn't contain an viable egg,by the time you trigger and they release they will end up somewhere around 27.28mm.
Having 4-10follies doesn't mean they will all fertile or that all of them contain a viable egg,the chances for multiples are high but I really doubt you will end up with triplets or quadruplets.
I wish you good luck with ur decision and getting that bfp really soon.
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a very early loss,chemical pregnancy.
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 MMC at the 10 weeks ultrasound.
FET#4 2018
Posts: 10103
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:54 am

Return to IUI