Low count, cancelled IUI

Are you trying intrauterine insemination this month? Or have some questions about IUI? This is the place for you!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Low count, cancelled IUI

Postby BuffaloMaple » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:59 am

Hi, looking for opinions. DH and I were set to do our 6th IUI yesterday. I've really been struggling emotionally with this process lately and was in no mood to do an IUI. When the nurse came in the room she was clearly new and had a head nurse with her, which shut me down from the process even further. They handed us DH's sample numbers and it was his lowest count yet and low in all other areas too. I broke down and cried. The nurses said they recommended we do the IUI anyways. At $650 out of pocket, low sperm numbers, my emotional state, and my discomfort with a new nurse doing the procedure we decided to cancel the IUI. It just felt like everything was telling me not to do it. Anyways, my question now is 1) did I make the right decision or did we still have a good chance of conceiving with that sample? And 2) was it unethical for them to even suggest we proceed with such low numbers?

I can't get a photo of DH's results to post but here's the gist of his post wash:
Motility 31% (normal >40)
Rapid/linear 6% (normal >10)
Total motile sperm 1.2 million (normal >5)

I'm just feeling confused and still emotional today.
Me 36, DH 34
TTC #1 since Sept 2015
Me - all good except small uterine polyp removed
DH - low count < 10mil
IUI #1-5 BFN, IUI #6 cancelled
IVF #1 with ICSI/PGS, begin stims 9/24/2017
10/6 ER: 15 eggs, 11 mature, 10 fertilized via ICSI
10/12 Day 6 Report: All 10 survived/biopsied/frozen!!
10/16 PGS Results: 7 PGS normals!! 6 girls, 1 boy
Grading: 3 hatching AB Good, 1 hatching BB Good, 3 hatching BC Fair
~Planning FET Nov/Dec 2017~
BuffaloMaple

Re: Low count, cancelled IUI

Postby Danaa » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Im really sorry that you had to cancel the iui.
I don't know much about sperm wash and counts for iui but only a milion sounds very low...I can't say they were unprofessional to suggest to go ahead with the iui but I think they should explain ur success rates and everything related to the lie count.
All I can say is good luck and think positive!!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Low count, cancelled IUI

Postby KristinA22 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi Hun, I just wanted to share my experience with you because I really can relate to how you are feeling. DH and I have been trying since last August with no luck. We had our first IUI 7/30/17 which I wasn't too optimistic about as he had a low post wash sperm count of 2.2 million. Went in for my beta today and I got great news- we are pregnant!!! Don't get discouraged, it only takes 1- and those post wash are a few million of the strongest swimmers! Good luck xx
KristinA22

Return to IUI