Follistim Cartridge Question

TTC using injectible FSH or LH? Share stories and ask questions in this forum.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Follistim Cartridge Question

Postby mharmon » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:01 pm

Looking for some input from you ladies who also use the Follistim pen/cartridge combo...

When you get to the end of your cartridge or your last dose, do you have some medicine still left in the cartridge at the very tip? I know that sometimes there is a little extra medicine in a cartridge for checking the pen before giving the shot (seeing the medicine "leaking out" through the needle). Is that what this is? My DH gave me my 150iu shot this morning which would be the last for this cartridge (I get 300iu ones) and there was some medicine left. It almost looked like it did before the shot. It made me nervous we did it wrong or it didn't work, but I know we did because it is our 3rd time doing this! And some medicine was coming out the needle like it should before the shot and the end depressed fine etc. Was just checking for some peace of mind!

Thank you for your responses!
Me: 36 | DH: 37 | TTC #1 | On IVF FET Cycle #2
mharmon
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Re: Follistim Cartridge Question

Postby HawkeyeGirl16 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:33 pm

There actually can be quite a bit of extra in the cartridge. If you checked it before giving the injection and didn't have any issues, you should be fine and probably got the correct dose. Remember to leave the needle in the skin for a few seconds after you have pressed the button down all the way to ensure you get the full dose. HTH :)
Me: 28 DH: 30
We're TTC a little brother or sister for Mason! (Shh FB friends)
My blog: http://ttcwithpcosrpl.blogspot.com
PCOS, adenomyosis, RPL, & IC
7/09-8/10: Multiple cycles of IF medications
4/26/10 :angel: 8w3d
7/26/10 :angel: 5w0d
RPL testing: elevated anticardiolipin IgM
1/7/11: Triplet angels 19w4d due to IC Cadyn :angel: Adalyn :angel: Mikayla :angel:
5/24/11: :angel: 4w3d
6/21/11: :bfp: #5 Shirodkar cerclage & 17p
:hb: Our miracle baby Mason arrived safely 2/22/12 :hb:
October 2013: BF?
HawkeyeGirl16
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Follistim Cartridge Question

Postby williamsbaby1 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:39 pm

I know it's late in the game but start my first injections tomorrow. I will administer in the evening maybe around 7pm or so.

I just wanted to say Thank You for stating to leave the needle in for a few seconds. That was info I was missing. I read the instructions too and got my quick tutorial at the RE office. But it never hurts to ask a question.

Mharmond, did you get your BFP??

Hawkeyegirl. I see you had a little boy!!
All our babies have become angels now!!

williamsbaby1
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Injectibles