TTC #2 losing hope.

Having trouble getting pregnant the second time around? Find support here.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

TTC #2 losing hope.

Postby Brittanynichole8 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:50 am

Hi everyone I am new here. My Brittany23, SO is 28, and DS will be 3 in August! We are TTC #2 and have been for about a year and 8-9 months. Every time we think... This is it. This time is the time that we did it! And every time AF shows RIGHT on time. We are not married yet and I have another child from a previous marriage that I conceived very easily. I am 23 and according to my doctor am in great health. I have an appointment this upcoming week to have my thyroid levels checked among other things to make sure I am still in good health. SO is another story. He is on peritoneal dialysis and has been for 2 years. He needs a kidney transplant and we are still waiting to hear back from shands about a donor. We talked with his doctor and he says that the dialysis shouldn't affect fertility and I've researched it briefly and couldn't find much. I don't know what to do at this point. Having a baby that is ours together is very important to us (even though he accepts Bentley as his own) we know after the transplant it is going to be a LONG road to recovery and we were hoping that we could have #2 before anything like that goes down. Anyways.... Maybe this is just gods way of telling me no. Or that this isn't the right time.

Any support is appreciated. Thanks ladies.
Brittanynichole8

Re: TTC #2 losing hope.

Postby kupi99 » Thu May 14, 2015 6:26 pm

My hubby has renal failure too, and is transplant recipient. We are open to TTC #2, and have been for about a year with no baby.

Kindey failure can most definitely impact male sexuality in a number of ways. I would not rule out seeing a urologist. We trust my hubby's nephrologist too, he's awesome, but he often says it can impact male sexuality. I know it did my husband's while he was on peritoneal dialysis too. It's well worth looking into if you're making a serious effort to get pregnant.

Also, if he has someone who is willing to donate, and he knows he's going to get a kidney soon (rather than just being on the list), you might want to take some things into consideration:
1. Health improves very fast after transplant. I wouldn't call it a long road to recovery at all. Plan on good years with a successful transplant.
2. Anti-rejection meds can also effect male sexuality. Keep this in mind.
It might worth waiting till after transplant to try and get pregnant. This way, your SO can get up in the night with you when the infant is up, have energy to help with the infant, etc... Then again, fertility issues continue after transplant. I would speak with urologist about health and timing of a new one.

Hubby and I would like to have another BEFORE his transplant fails, and he's back on dialysis, b/c it's easier now. We are not looking forward to the inevitable return to dialysis. So my advice would be if, he knows he's getting a trasnplant- wait till he get it, then try.
kupi99

Return to Secondary Infertility