PCOS checking for ovulation

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

PCOS checking for ovulation

Postby pt_3 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:37 am

What is the best way to monitor yourself for ovulation with PCOS? I downloaded some apps but they're not great at predicting. I know temperature is supposed to be good but I just can't stick to a waking schedule to check it every day.....

I welcome any advice or suggestions, ttc #1.
pt_3

Re: PCOS checking for ovulation

Postby hannahdavid » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:25 am

No app will be accurate enough. Therefore you will have to guess and estimate. The reason why so many people go for charts. Good luck to you. I hope things go well. I would also recommend that you visit your doctor and ask for advice. Maybe you should consider opting for Clomid. It is effective in this condition.
-Low AMH and High FSH
-Poor Ovarian Reserve
-5 IUIs (failed)
-1 IVF (failed)
Life is a total mess
hannahdavid
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby AmySmith » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:30 am

There are lots of apps. However, I think it's really down to guesswork. I hope things get better for you. You should try keeping your diet in check. Charting can be helpful. It has helped me. Good luck to you, honey! You can pull through.
AmySmith
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby @whenmytruerainbow » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:27 am

I'm sorry you're facing this. We have PCOS and our menstrual cycle is pretty erratic. Here's what my dr at bio tex explained me.. we tend to be oestrogen dominant and our levels of luteinizing hormone remain higher than normal. So, we don’t get that spike in LH to signal ovulation and we don’t get ovulation occurring frequently. We just get lots of little follicles being developed that don’t reach maturity giving our ovaries that polycystic look, like they’ve been adorned with a string of pearls. OPK’s are looking for a spike in LH but our LH levels tend to be elevated all the time. Ideally you would like Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) and LH to be in a ratio of 1:1. However, in women with PCOS its more likely to be 2:1 or even 3:1. What that means is that we are more likely to get false positives with OPKs. They are not an accurate indication of ovulation in women with PCOS. As for the methods,
BBT tracking is not 100% fool proof. The other thing to bear in mind is that BBT tracking will only tell you that you have ovulated, it will not tell you when your are going to ovulate. It does not predict when ovulation will happen. Cervical mucous is a fluid secreted by the cervix, in response to oestrogen. As oestrogen levels rise, so does the level of cervical mucous. It also has a really important job. It helps to provide a safe and happy environment for sperm to survive. final way to monitor our cycles and possible ovulation is to monitor the position of our cervix throughout our cycle. In the beginning of the cycle, when estrogen levels should be lower, the cervix is hard, closed and pointed down. As oestrogen increases and ovulation is impending, the cervix softens, opens and moves up. This allows easier passages of the sperm to the fallopian tube.
I hope those might give you some tips on the issue. Good luck.
@whenmytruerainbow
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Return to PCOS Support