LATE bfp after ttc x19 months

Share your TTC success stories here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

LATE bfp after ttc x19 months

Postby plattis » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:50 pm

I don't know if my story is a happy one yet but I wanted to share to give others hope.
March 13, 2014 was my last actual period. We were going to give femara another shot and by some recording error, we were also put down for an IUI. At my clinic, you prepay the IUI and once I already paid I realized it, so I figured let's try the femara + IUI- hey we've tried everything else at this point. I had a slow temp rise and then on 13dpo, my temp fell, I spotted and I knew AF was sure to arrive. Sure enough, 14dpo, AF showed up just as expected and my temp fell (4/9/14). I had medium bleeding and clots- bright red, pink, brown you name it. The only thing unusual was a lack of cramping.
I called the RE to set up next round, went in for CD3 blood draw- all my levels looked normal. low estrogen, low progestrone. I even had 7 antral follicles. We started femara round 3 and my doc called because they wanted an SIS or an SHG test. I went in for the test & they did an hpt before as standard procedure. the nurse said, "uhh doctor we have an issue" and she held up the tests- two lines. I told her it was impossible. my temp fell, I bled for 3 days, I even had clotting. she said, let's do another- two tests later, all three are positive. I told her to check my progesterone since my temps were so low. she said they don't normally but if I was sure she would. my progesterone came back at 8 something. they called me in progesterone suppositories and I am convinced this has helped saved my little bean.
My betas are really low, but the doctor thinks I somehow implanted very very late.. so we're waiting to see how things go, but none the less, a BFP is a BFP. we don't know if it's ectopic or even going to make it, but miracles happen. you can check my signature for the ugliest bfp ever.

Two thing I learned: my non-relaxing and temping like a fiend, helped the doctor know that my progesterone was too low and to get me on supplements. Keep praying.

beta #1 (4/11/14): 7
beta #2 (4/14/14): 34
beta #3 (4/19/14): 277! fx things keep growing. beta #4 scheduled for 4/21/14.
Me:27 DH:31 (normal SA)
HSG&SIS - tubes/uterus great.
TTC #1 since Sept 2012

2012: TTC without strategy
2013: diagnosed with PCOS, clomid 4x (bfn), HSG&LAP
2014: femara 3x (bfn), Ectopic pregnancy, clomid #5, IUI 4x & IVF

9/1/14: IVF#1! 11 days of stims, 8 mature/ 8 fertilized/ 7 frosties and one beautiful 4AA transferred :)
10dp5dt beta #1: 266!
12dp5dt beta #2: 704!
19dp5dt beta #3: 13,600!!
26dp5dt (6w3d): First U/S! one beautiful little Bee with :hb: 108!
7w5d: little Bee :hb: 158!
graduated from RE to Ob!!
10w2d: Bee :hb: 169! measuring ahead at 10w5d

Mom to one beautiful little baby bee born 5/22/15 <3

the chart

my fertility & pregnancy ramblings
plattis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: LATE bfp after ttc x19 months

Postby B Michaelson » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:50 pm

Congrats plattis!! I am hoping this is just a shy bean and all goes well. Keeping you in my thoughts.
Me - 36
Hashimotos, JHS/EDS, ANA negative, 1 Fallopian tube
DH - 41
TTC #1 Aug 2012 - May 2014
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016
May 2017 :bfp:

:angel: Our Angels :angel:
2004 - 7.5 weeks
Oct 2013 - 6w6d ruptured ectopic
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby plattis » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:32 pm

Thanks B! I'm scared to death that it's ectopic. I see you had a ruptured EP.. Did you have any symptoms?
TTC #1 since Sept 2012

9/1/14: IVF#1! 11 days of stims, 8 mature/ 8 fertilized/ 7 frosties and one beautiful 4AA transferred :)

the chart

plattis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby B Michaelson » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:42 pm

Its strange because I had a feeling it was an EP from my third test. My tests didn't seem to darken as fast as everyone elses do and I was really worried. I talked to my mom about it and she told me not to test so early. I found a dr by my work and asked for betas and he told me what is meant to be will be and blew me off. He did give a form for one beta but I knew one was useless. i decided to get the test at 14dpo and he called for a follow up but I refused to see him again.

When I saw my regular go at 4+4 I decided not to mention anything and regretted it after. Things seemed fine but I never had a ton of sxs other than bloating and sore bbs now and then. I also was never able to beat the control on an frer. I stopped testing and just let things happen.

At 6+6 I woke up at 3:30 am with immense pain/pressure on my right side just above my hip. I sleep with my leg up and that hip always goes out so I thought I must have pulled a muscle badly. But an hr and a half later I felt a gush of blood and I instantly knew I had been right before. I called the health line and they said go to emerg. Lots of tests, poking, prodding, bw and an u/s before they confirmed fluid in my abdominal cavity and schedule me for an immediate lap where they removed my tube.

My biggest regret was that I didn't stand up for myself more. They don't usually give betas here, especially if it's only based on suspicions and now that I know my uterus is retroverted it's likely they wouldn't have seen anything on a scan, but maybe I could have done more to save my tube. The day I got that first beta it was 8 and the day I had surgery it was 1050 so my levels absolutley were not rising well enough, or were falling.

Before all this it was my greatest fear to lose a tube due to an EP, but I have gone through it, survived and hopefully am stronger for it.

I really hope you do not have an ectopic or anything else worng, but I completely understand your fears. I am praying this works out for you.

The best advice I have is if you feel something isn't right, do not let anyone try and convince you it's ok to ignore it. Be an advocate for yourself and do what you need to make sure you protect your body and your interests.

I am keeping you in my thoughts and hoping tomorrows beta is amazing!

Keep me posted.

Love B
Me - 36
DH - 41
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016

2004 - 7.5 weeks
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Happyfroggy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:51 am

PLATTIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :congrats:

Your story is amazing. I know what you mean about not wanting to get too excited yet, so I'll wait for an update before I go nuts with the smilies/emoticons heheehe :)

THAT IS INSANE that you had falling temps, blood with clots and still got BFP. I have never, ever read a story like that and I've read a LOT of these types of stories.

Also hehehe thanks for giving my stupid brain something to be in denial about when temp drops and AF comes :rofl: I sense more wasted tests in my future ;)

Anyway, your betas so far sound GREAT! I am so happy for you! It's always nice reading the BFP stories of someone that's been trying for over a year.

B - I know i've drilled you about this before so my apologies for beating a dead horse, but I'm still wondering how you would have known about the EP before it happened (before the pain started). Was it just that the tests weren't darkening? Or just a vague sense something was wrong? Does having a retroverted uterus increase the risk of EP?!? What intervals of HPT taking would you recommend someone to take to guard against having an unkown EP?!? Sorry, I know I've already asked you various questions about this before but I want to learn as much as possible from your and others experience.
BFP on Friday Feb 3rd 2017 but ended in miscarriage at 7 1/2 weeks :(

Didn't chart this time, last time was TTC for over a year, BFP chart from daughter :D :
My Ovulation Chart
Happyfroggy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby B Michaelson » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:14 am

Happy it was just suspicion because my tests weren't getting darker and I had really no pg sxs. I watched all the other due date ladies list theirs and how much worse they were getting. I brushed off my lack of sxs because I didn't really know what I was supposed to be feeling or not feeling.

I didn't mean I knew for certain it was an EP but I knew for sure something wasn't right and I really had a feeling it was. Instead of listening to my intuition I allowed others to convince me it was just unfounded worry and paranoia and I was being ridiculous.

Having a retroverted uterus really doesn't change anything except it can cause pain during intercourse and can make it hard to see the uterus on a scan.

Once you get that bfp there is no changing it if its an EP, but they can give methotrexate so you don't lose your tube. I don't think you can necessarily tell by the hpt that its an ep but if your lines don't progress then there could be reason to be concerned. I have seen ladies with higher betas at 4 weeks thne I had at almost 7. It could be many things though, cp, blighted ovum, etc... or nothing at all.

I think the big thing for me was just to learn not to be such a pushover. If I feel something is wrong, even if everyone in the world is telling me its stupid and unrealistic I shouldn't feel I have to second guess myself or justify my concern. I figured I was being an inconvenience to the drs so I stopped asking to try and get bloodwork. Aside from the one test I did at 14dpo that I only got because I burst into tears (I never knew the results of it until my surgery) nothing was ever checked. It's pretty standard here not to do anything until the first scan at 8 weeks, but thats too late for many. It was silly of me to let it go so easily. Do you think that dr really cares that my tube is gone? Probably not, but I do. I wish I would have fought harder. I don't understand why doing a few blood tests would be so hard on the medical system, yet the drs treat you like you are asking for narcotics. Even with my last bfp I had to cut off my arm to get a form. I just don't want to see anyone else go through that. If you have to fight to make everyone listen, even if they don't believe you, do it. What's the worst that could happen? You could be fine with no issues or you could save yourself.

So many ladies on here know what it's like to feel that fear and worry and that should always be taken seriously by a dr. If they are so convinced nothing is wrong, then what harm is doing a few blood tests if thats all it takes to ease the mind of a patient. I will always encourage people to be their own advocates. No one knows your body better than you and you have every right to know what's going on with it.
Me - 36
DH - 41
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016

2004 - 7.5 weeks
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby plattis » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:18 am

Amen B! You have to be your own advocate in this biz. Doctors frustrate me so much. I've had 3 different docs on this journey so far just because they were not listening or were to busy to make the right call.

AFM: thank you ladies for your kind words but we just got beta #4: 288. Only 11 up in 48 hours. My doctor is convinced this isn't a normal pregnancy and we should stop progesterone and just let it miscarry. Back to the drawing board.
TTC #1 since Sept 2012

the chart

plattis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Happyfroggy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:35 am

Aw I'm so sorry plattis :(

:hugs: Keep us updated on how it goes. Are you off the progesterone now? Did they give you any kind of time frame?

B - I know what you mean about pressing for things. The stupid doctor I went to get a referral to an RE was like "Are you sure? You know you'll have to get lots of tests done?" OH REALLY! WELL MAYBE NOT THEN SINCE I WAS ONLY DOING IT FOR SH*TS N' GIGGLES!
Where I am you cannot get a scan until 12 - 13 weeks. Also most OBGYN's won't see you before than either. It's bizzare.
BFP on Friday Feb 3rd 2017 but ended in miscarriage at 7 1/2 weeks :(

Didn't chart this time, last time was TTC for over a year, BFP chart from daughter :D :
My Ovulation Chart
Happyfroggy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby B Michaelson » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:42 am

Oh plattis I am so sorry to hear this news. My heart goes out to you.

I hope they will continue to monitor your betas.

Sending you all the love and hugs I have :hugs:

Sorry for kinda taking over the thread. As you might have noticed it's something dear to my heart now lol. If even one person is inspired to continue to speak up for themselves it is all worth it.

Happy, it just irks me. It's like they think we don't understand the implications of anything. The fact that you know what an RE is, should be enough of a clue hey? It also scares me that they don't scan you until 12 weeks. TTC is such a fragile process with so much emotion tied to it. I wish people understood that better, especially drs.
Me - 36
DH - 41
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016

2004 - 7.5 weeks
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby plattis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:10 pm

so I have a resolution to my story. after a weird beta, my next one rose nicely but the doctor confirmed with u/s that it was ectopic. so we did the methotrexate injection this afternoon. he seems very hopeful that the next IUI will be the one. :) ha, i think he was only trying to cheer me up. I was a bit of a mess.
TTC #1 since Sept 2012

the chart

plattis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby B Michaelson » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:28 pm

Aww bugger. Sorry hun. I hope he is right. Glad they were able to catch it in time.
Me - 36
DH - 41
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016

2004 - 7.5 weeks
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson