How do I cope with the TWW after IVF?

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

How do I cope with the TWW after IVF?

Postby IVFchica » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:45 am

Hi, This is day three (embryo transfer was Sat) and I’m already going slightly crazy thinking I have to wait till I reach the two week mark before doing a pregnancy test! I’m looking for support/ advice/ hope to get me through this period. I’ve had cramps since yesterday and just can’t stop thinking what’s happening/ hoping so much I’ll be pregnant. Any tips on stopping me obsessing would be most appreciated!
IVFchica
Friend

Re: How do I cope with the TWW after IVF?

Postby banana78 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Hey. I don't really have any advice but I'm going through this with you. My transfer was Friday. I've had some cramping here and there but from my extensive Googling it would seem it's too early to trust our symptoms since it could be a reaction to the supplements.

That said I have had a killer migraine since last night accompanied with nausea. I suffer from headaches and not being able to rely on Advil is new to me so I'm not sure if this is related.

Not thinking about this seems impossible. I'm thinking about it constantly and even dreaming about it at night.
Me (Jo): 40 / DH: 44 in Toronto

TTC since 2014
banana78
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby IVFchica » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:46 am

Thanks for your reply. It seems we’re doing the same thing - thinking, dreaming and googling about it. We definitely need to remain positive. I’m off work this so I’m going to try and relax. If cramps aren’t too bad, I hope to spend some time with my nephew - take him to the cinema, as he’s off on summer hols too. It’d be great to hear how you’re getting on and if you’ve had any more ‘symptoms’. I’m curious, is your partner quite relaxed about it? Mine is excited, but logical and says we just have to wait.
IVFchica
Friend

Postby banana78 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:18 am

I think he's quietly hopeful but he didn't want to talk about it too much to brace himself if it doesn't work.

TTC since 2014
banana78
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby FlorenceClement » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:16 am

Hey, there. I hope you're alright. Two-week wait requires a lot of patience. Don't worry about it, okay? Things will sort out, well. My prayers are with you. Good luck to you!
FlorenceClement
Friend

Postby IVFchica » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:28 am

Thanks for the wise words. Today’s been better as have been out and about so less time to think!
IVFchica
Friend

Postby Mandy7 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:48 am

The two week wait, god! I hate it. It was the toughest time during IVF. And, to think that we have to deal with needles! I'm really impatient, maybe that's why. But still, it was really tough. Good luck, though. I hope it works!
Mandy7
Friend

Postby IVFchica » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:25 pm

Thanks - so do I! Also impatient so it really does make it worse!
IVFchica
Friend

Postby banana78 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:13 pm

When are you going to test?

TTC since 2014
banana78
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby IVFchica » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:37 am

I was battling with this yesterday and thinking what if I do and it’s positive, negative? I’ll probably have to do one every day because as you know, we can’t rely on any early results with all these drugs we’ve been taking. Logical hubby says I must wait the full two weeks. It’ll be a Sat and I’ll have no work so it makes sense. I’m really going to try and wait! You??
IVFchica
Friend

Postby banana78 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:26 am

I tested. BFN. Lol. My husband thinks I should wait too. He said to me that he was "surprised I hadn't tested yet." I said "ya about that..." Lol

Anyway I don't think I'll take the results by seriously until next week. I have a handful of tests though. Hard to resist.

TTC since 2014
banana78
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby IVFchica » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:55 pm

No, you can’t take the test seriously at all just yet! My extensive googling suggests that pregnancy wouldn’t be detected at this stage. If I tested, it’d be way into next week but will try and hold out - it’ll be tough! Keep me posted.
IVFchica
Friend

Return to IVF