Signs of Preeclampsia and my story

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Postby mollyd123 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:01 am

I went in for a routine checkup at 37 weeks with DD1 and my bp was 200/110. The doctor asked me if I was okay (the weird thing is, I felt ok, just a slight headache and ankle swelling) and then immediately sent me to the hospital to be induced.

They were also concerned because I do have a seizure disorder and so I was immediately started on magnesium sulfate (and I was also on my seizure medication).

I didn't realize the seriousness of this until after. I'm 26 weeks into this pregnancy and so far so good.....
mollyd123
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mom2abandkb » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:02 am

mollyd123 wrote:I went in for a routine checkup at 37 weeks with DD1 and my bp was 200/110. The doctor asked me if I was okay (the weird thing is, I felt ok, just a slight headache and ankle swelling) and then immediately sent me to the hospital to be induced.

They were also concerned because I do have a seizure disorder and so I was immediately started on magnesium sulfate (and I was also on my seizure medication).

I didn't realize the seriousness of this until after. I'm 26 weeks into this pregnancy and so far so good.....

that is the bp I would spike up to and then they would give me a quick shot of something to bring it down. My bp at the dr one time was like 160/100 and she asked me if I felt ok and I just said I felt tired. the nurse didn't tell me how high it was to not make me nervous lol.

I was on mag 3 times, isn't it horrible? Uggh, I felt so sick on it. I had it after I delivered too and couldn't get out of bed until the 2nd day after the c section.

I'm glad this pregnancy is going well so far for you!
Lisa-37 dh-33 dd-6
Kiran 8/17/09 2lb 7oz, 14.5 (pre e,HELLP, vp)
Hernia surgery 11/5/09,G tube 7/24/10
130 days NICU- reflux,hypotonia,ptosis,2 meds 2x/day
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kirangoel
Imagehttp://www.marchforbabies.org/MODWalkforKiran
mom2abandkb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mollyd123 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:41 pm

I was on mag 3 times, isn't it horrible?

It was AWFUL!!!!!

Your daughter is beautiful btw.... :)
mollyd123
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby brookexallison » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:24 am

So with pre-e your BPs don't necessarily stay elevated at all times? I don't know too much about it but at my dr appt today my BP was 150/100, 150/98 and 150/94...checked it three times to be sure...I was sent for an NST and BP monitoring and it was back down to 119/79...so they said all was well, took some bloodwork and gave me a 24 hr urine collection container for creat-clr and protein and scheduled me for another day of monitoring on Monday (labor day of course lol)...well when I was at work I started to get a headache again and since I work at the same hospital my appts and tests are at I asked the one lady to take my BP and it was 139/93...I'm sure it has come down since again, but I'm very confused about this whole thing...I also have GD which I was told makes it even more likely to develop pre-e
Brooke - 26, Gregg - 29

Addison Mae aka Monkey
10-15-10
7lb9oz
21in.

#2 due 2/15/14

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
brookexallison
Angel
Angel

Postby Bubble26 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:30 am

This is a great sticky, so important! Im so glad that all turned out ok for you in the end :hugs:

I had pre-e with both my last pregnancies, My daughter was delivered at 37 weeks my BP was 170/100 and when they delivered my son at 38 weeks my bp was registering 150/100 (both with protien in my urine and swelling and both after 2-3 weeks of bed rest in hospital). Im petrified of it happening again with this baby. With my daughter bp issues started at 35 weeks and my son at 29 weeks...so earlier for the second pregnancy...

i had a consultant appt last thursday and my bp was 140/85 which is already high for me and im only just coming up 17 weeks, we are hoping its a fluke but i will have it checked again on monday to be sure...
Tory x
DD, Megan Elizabeth 7th November 2006 (after 7 months TTC!)
DS, Kieren David 5th May 2009 (after 2 months TTC)
Baby#3 EDD 13th February 2011!!! :D BABY GIRL!!!

Bubble26
Star Member
Star Member

Postby mom2abandkb » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:02 pm

brookexallison wrote:So with pre-e your BPs don't necessarily stay elevated at all times? I don't know too much about it but at my dr appt today my BP was 150/100, 150/98 and 150/94...checked it three times to be sure...I was sent for an NST and BP monitoring and it was back down to 119/79...so they said all was well, took some bloodwork and gave me a 24 hr urine collection container for creat-clr and protein and scheduled me for another day of monitoring on Monday (labor day of course lol)...well when I was at work I started to get a headache again and since I work at the same hospital my appts and tests are at I asked the one lady to take my BP and it was 139/93...I'm sure it has come down since again, but I'm very confused about this whole thing...I also have GD which I was told makes it even more likely to develop pre-e

Brooke it does NOT stay elevated at all times, or you would stroke out. It's if the doctor/nurse takes it 3 different times, especially in a prone position on your left side and it is still high, then they begin considering it to be pre eclampsia. I was in my dr office and the nurse didn't even tell me how high it was the first time because it would have freaked me out!

It is usually more elevated if you are up walking around, not drinking enough, lifting things, basically just exerting more energy. After being admitted to the hospital they told me I was only allowed up to go to the bathroom and I would get out of breath just doing that. After just lying in bed and if I talked to dd1 on the phone and got a little upset, it would shoot up to like 200/130.

Look for my list of symptoms, headaches was a big one in realizing that my bp was rising.

Just take care of yourself, don't overdo things, drink enough liquid every day, and I hope that helps. Having GD stinks. my sis has type 1 diabetes and then her bp started rising towards the end and my nephew had to come out 3 weeks early and had major sucking issues and sugar issues at the beginning. Thankfully only required 9 day NICU stay. PM me for any more questions!
Lisa-37 dh-33 dd-6
mom2abandkb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mom2abandkb » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:24 pm

Tory lots of luck to you this time around. Just try to stay off your feet as much as possible.

With me, I had a 6 yr old home during the summer, school ends early June, and I was already very sick by then. I was supposed to be on modified bed rest but I didn't have enough help so my bp kept on rising because I had to prepare meals for me and her, etc. I was better off in the hospital where I could actually just stay in bed and try to keep myself sane lol.

Please keep us updated!
Lisa-37 dh-33 dd-6
mom2abandkb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mom2abandkb » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:25 pm

Thank you Molly : )
Lisa-37 dh-33 dd-6
mom2abandkb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Velity » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

I have developed postpartum eclampsia.
Did you have any experience with this?
Allison
Image Image
ImageImageImage
Velity
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mom2abandkb » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:44 pm

Alison, I'm so sorry to hear this. I do know that my bp stayed elevated for about 3 weeks afterwards and I was on a strict medicine regimen and then all of a sudden my bp just dropped one morning and I didn't need anything.

I read that you are spitting up blood?

I was nauseous when my pressure spiked and sometimes I would vomit, but never never blood.

In my honest opinion, if you can't get in to see your doctor in the next 24 hours, you should go to the ER.

Are you able to eat and drink normally. Are you spitting up blood due to being nauseous or it's just coming up for no reason?

Please keep us updated. You need to seek help please take this seriously!
Lisa-37 dh-33 dd-6
mom2abandkb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Velity » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:26 pm

Thank you for your comments.
I am currently in the hospital.
I did go to the ER shortly after posting that.
Post partum pre eclampsia took a negative toll on my body, but I wound up having either a pre-existing heart condition or a new one from the pregnancy.
My heart had/developed a leaky valve that decided to pump backwards into my lungs.
Hence the blood in my lungs.
Currently I am being treated with Lasix, oral meds and rest that is working!
I could go on, but I won't.

I guess I am adding to your story.
Pre eclampsia is a very scary thing for the mother and baby.
Ironically enough I had it with my previous two pregnancies but not this one?
Post partum pre eclampsia can happen too and please listen to your body.

I honestly thought maybe I am having PPD for the first time and not being able to breath was anxiety?

Who would think after having a baby I would go into heart failure...
From what the doctors say, it's much more common then we speak about.
It's amazing how hard it is on your body to have a baby, but so worth it.
Thank you for your support!
Last edited by Velity on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allison
Image Image
ImageImageImage
Velity
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mom2abandkb » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:55 pm

Allison I'm so glad you went to the ER and they are pumping you with the right meds to take your bp back down. How scary! I was in the hospital just 2 weeks and they couldn't get my bp under control. Then they put me in ICU on a quick drip to get my bp down really fast so I had to be monitored. I stabilized after about 3 days to go back down to L & D. And about two days later I had another bleed and there was more protein in my urine and my platelets were dropping.

I will keep you in my prayers and hope you can come home soon to your new bundle of joy.

High bp at any time, during and after pregnancy is a scary thing and you have to watch for the signs and don't take things lightly. If you are not feeling right, get checked out. Don't wait. It could mean your life. My doctors thought I would have a stroke or seizure because my pressure would go so high 200/120's.
Lisa-37 dh-33 dd-6
mom2abandkb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Amay82 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:30 pm

I found this a little scary too , My last appointment my blood pressure was 158/88 I believe . . . It never ocured to me at the time that it may be high since no one had mentioned anything to me . . . I got home and it hit me that it just did not seem right so i googled it and found out that it is considered borderline for hypertension 8O . . . Next time we go to Safeway I am going to use there free BP machine and check as well with out outings at Walmart . . . Thank you for sharing this . . .
ME - Aimée - 32 - DP - Jon - 37 - DD - Alicia - 13 - DS - Dallas - 11 - Jace - 3 - Lainey - 1.5 - #5 - Due May 4th or sooner!
Amay82
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Heather32 » Sat May 07, 2011 5:16 pm

Aimee yes definitely monitor it..I am surprised they did not say anything...anything over 140/90 here is considered high blood pressure..I had pre eclampsia with DS1 and what they explained to me is the top number represents blood flow to mom and bottom number represents blood flow to baby so if either is too high somebody is not getting what they need...anyways I started spilling protein fairly quickly after my first high blood pressure reading which ironically was 140/90 and delivered by the end of the week..Diagnosed at 38 weeks delivered at 39. Anyways thinking about you!!
Heather:33 DH:36 DS (6) 11/04 DS (2) 2/09
DD (Brand New!) 8/7/11 8pds 4oz 19 1/2in.
:angel: 04/07 (14wks) Rest in peace sweet angel baby
ImageImage
Heather32
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Amay82 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:54 am

My last appointment they put me on Blood Pressure medicine to help keep it down . . . She said she is not sure why yet but did say GD can cause High Blood Pressure too . . . I go for that test next week . . . She had also said the only reason they never mentioned anything last time was because my Diastolic was under 90 and they only give medicine to someone my age if it is over 90 :? She also said that for someone my age the primarily concentrate on the Diastolic and for a senior they usually go by the systolic , Not sure how true it is since i am new to this BP stuff . . . So she put me on the med's and had me get a BP machine to monitor it . . . So far it has been ok , Worries me sometimes because usually it gets to be real low or in the high 80's , But I guess that is considered high Normal . . . She said we will keep monitoring it and if by time to labor then we might have to consider a C-section . . .

Mind me asking Heather if you had your LO Vaginally or by C-section ?

I go back to the Hospital next week for the GD test , I will take my kids with me just for the company then I got back on the 31st for my appointment as long as the GD is fine .

Oh and my BP the last time was 158/98 or pretty close to that .
ME - Aimée - 32 - DP - Jon - 37 - DD - Alicia - 13 - DS - Dallas - 11 - Jace - 3 - Lainey - 1.5 - #5 - Due May 4th or sooner!
Amay82
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to General Pregnancy Board