Night time routine

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Night time routine

Postby Dunes » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:48 am

Hi all!

Just wondering what your night time routine is like with your baby? And how old is he/she? What do you do to get them back to sleep if they wake up during the night.

My son is 9 months old and has been a horrible sleeper since birth. I haven't had more than 4.5 hours of sleep in 9 months, and that has only happened a couple of times.

He cannot fall asleep on his own. A while back I tried sleep training and it was working for sleep, but unfortunately the crying (screaming is his cry) didn't stop and puking came into play. (this would happen only after a few minutes because he would get himself so worked up, and of course just ate.) So we ended up nursing to sleep again. It is starting to get harder to put him down especially if he's not hungry. He is teething right now too, so I'm sure that is waking him up as well. He gets up anywhere from 3-6 times between 7:30pm - 6am, and usually ends up feeding if I can't rock or "bum pat" him back to sleep. He sleeps in his crib in his own room. He refuses a pacifier. I don't know what else to do - I am so exhausted because no one can give me a break and I feel like I'm spending too much time getting him to sleep sometimes.

Does anyone have a similar situation? And if you did, did they eventually outgrow this habit?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Dunes
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:10 am

My son was the same way. He woke up every 1-2 hours until he was 12 months old, and after that it was around every 3 hours. Suddenly, at 18 months, he just stopped and started sleeping all night.

I had the same problem--he would only go back to sleep if I nursed him. He took a pacifier, but it would fall out and he'd be awake again. I tried all the "sleep training" things to attempt to get him to not nurse to sleep, and it just didn't work. We couldn't let him cry at all either, or we'd have the same result. And then it would be 10x harder to get him to sleep after letting him get worked up.

But now at 5 he is a GREAT sleeper and has been for a long time. He goes right to bed with no problem at 8 and wakes up around 8 the next morning--not problem.

And now my daughter is a fantastic sleeper and has been pretty much STTN since she was only a couple of weeks old. I have decided that every child is different and all those sleep help books are worthless. :P
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Dunes » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:28 am

First of all, I'm so glad to hear your son is sleeping through the night! :D I'm hoping our second child will be a good sleeper. Well, at least I'll be ready for it anyways if he/she isn't .. lol.

Ya, I've pretty much giving up on why he wakes up - it is what it is I guess. He's only a baby once and I am enjoying the cuddles, but a bit of sleep would be nice too! I guess I'm just wanting to hear that there are other people going through the same thing and if they have any tips to offer to make it a little easier.

Thank you for your reply. :D

Dunes
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:45 am

My only tip would be to bring him to bed with you. I would do that around 2am when I just couldn't wake up anymore--I could pop a boob in his mouth and go right back to sleep!
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ivycrystals » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:05 pm

My DD went thru a similar phase at 9m. She outgrew it. Now she sleeps just fine.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:57 pm

I have no experience with this, but a friend of mine highly recommends the No-Cry Sleep Solution.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shermy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi, my name is Ella, and I am the mother of a non-sleeper.

Okay, he is a former non-sleeper, and we are still catching up on missed sleep.

The Long Version (I wrote a toonn about our story, solution, and how things have been going a few months out):

http://finchfound.com/home/2011/7/26/wh ... ssues.html

The short version: My son has never been much of a sleeper, not since the day he was born, but he did okay, then around 5 months things just spiraled out of control, it was taking an hour and a half not 15 min to get him to sleep, and he went from waking up a couple of times a night to 5-8 times a night, and would only go back to sleep by nursing . It was awful for us, but mostly he was the one suffering. He looked exhausted, everything under the sun woke him up, he was always cranky and tired - he just wasn't himself. Something need to change, FOR HIM.

We used the sleep easy solution (a very slightly modified version - just for our son's attitude), honestly, it was amazing. I say was, past tense because he sleeps so well on his own that we really don't actively use it.

But a few months out he has nights that are a bit more rough, but 99% of the time he sleeps from 7pm-5am then he is in bed with us from 5am-7am. Sometimes he sleeps longer in his crib. The one thing I love though about this routine is that he sleeps deeper. THAT is what has been the biggest change.
Wesley Alder, 7/21/2010

http://www.finchfound.com

shermy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Dunes » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:47 pm

jenny007 wrote:Some kids are just afraid of the dark even when they are babies. I am one of them (Ok I am grown up now lol). They just wake up and they get scared. They need the comfort of mommy. Just put your babe in bed with you. I did it with both of my kids, and we all got sleep that way. When they were older, they went into their own beds.
Besides, sleeping with them gives a little extra bonding. Your baby will only be a baby for such a short time as they grow so fast. Get all the snuggling in while you can, because before you know it, you will have a teenager on your hands. HTH!

Thanks for your reply! I have a night light on for him when he wakes up at night. Then I started thinking maybe the light is giving him a restless sleep, so I turned it off for a few nights and it made no difference. I would bring him to bed, but I can't sleep with him in the bed. I only did it once when we were on vacation because it was 100x worse.

shermy wrote:Hi, my name is Ella, and I am the mother of a non-sleeper.

Okay, he is a former non-sleeper, and we are still catching up on missed sleep.

The Long Version (I wrote a toonn about our story, solution, and how things have been going a few months out):

http://finchfound.com/home/2011/7/26/wh ... ssues.html

The short version: My son has never been much of a sleeper, not since the day he was born, but he did okay, then around 5 months things just spiraled out of control, it was taking an hour and a half not 15 min to get him to sleep, and he went from waking up a couple of times a night to 5-8 times a night, and would only go back to sleep by nursing . It was awful for us, but mostly he was the one suffering. He looked exhausted, everything under the sun woke him up, he was always cranky and tired - he just wasn't himself. Something need to change, FOR HIM.

We used the sleep easy solution (a very slightly modified version - just for our son's attitude), honestly, it was amazing. I say was, past tense because he sleeps so well on his own that we really don't actively use it.

But a few months out he has nights that are a bit more rough, but 99% of the time he sleeps from 7pm-5am then he is in bed with us from 5am-7am. Sometimes he sleeps longer in his crib. The one thing I love though about this routine is that he sleeps deeper. THAT is what has been the biggest change.

Thank you! I needed to read that. I'm exploring all options right now, and have been thinking about reinforcing the sleep training. I'm going to look into it.

Dunes
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Dunes » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:20 pm

I just realized I posted this in the general PREGNANCY board. I really do need sleep. lol. Not sure where I sould have posted it though?

Dunes
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to General Pregnancy Board