tattoo question

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

tattoo question

Postby KJ511 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:03 pm

Does anyone have a tattoo? I've had mine for about a year now and never had any problems with it until the past few weeks. I first noticed a few itchy bumps, but nothing major. Now it feels like there are bumps all over it and they are super, super itchy! I haven't changed any of my lotions or anything like that. I've just been using Aquaphor on it, which helps for a while but when it wears off it itches like crazy again. I read that body chemistry can cause swelling and other changes in the tattoo, as can hot weather and humidity. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience during pregnancy with an existing tattoo and whether I can expect that it will go away on its own or if I should see a dermatologist?
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby leelou » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:40 pm

It's funny because I've had my tattoos for years now but when I was about 8 weeks my tattoo on my inner arm swelled up and was soooo itchy! I could actually feel where the ink had risen! It went down after about an hour.
I blame pregnancy :P
BFP - 15/05/12
Scan at 8w2d - saw heartbeat and measuring 1 day ahead :D
:hb: - 160 at 10w4d

Scan at 11w6d - actually measuring 12w1d baby was bouncing away!

:hb: 150 at 13 weeks

Due 11th Feb 2013 :hb:

leelou
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby ashleybrooke » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:32 pm

I have a tattoo on my left wrist. I've had it for about a year and a half and never had any problems until a couple weeks ago. I've mentioned that my hands and wrists started to get REALLY itchy!! My left wrist stays swollen and sore now, I'm not sure if it's because of my tattoo or what??! I did, however use a scented lotion for about a week and that's when it started! I switched back to using aquaphor when I go to bed, but I've had no relief :( maybe it's just due to the end of pregnancy hormones?? I'm 40w5d now, hoping my skin will go back to normal after baby is born! Sorry I have no advice..I don't think there is any need to see a dermatologist...most likely pregnancy/hormone related! I have keloids on both of my ears from infected/unhealed piercings and the hormone changes have made them WAY worse since becoming pregnant. Unfortunately, the only way to fix that is to see a dermatologist :/ maybe ask your doctor or see a dermatologist if it doesn't go away shortly after baby is born?
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby TTCin2010 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:05 am

Where is your tattoo? is it on your stomach? If it is it might be pupps and just happens to be near your tattoo...?
Me:Lauree: 29 DH: Joe: 32

DS:Aidan: 7.20.11
DD:Audree: 7.20.11

My Blog

TTCin2010
Star Member
Star Member

Postby KJ511 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:14 am

It's actually on the outside of my thigh about halfway between my hip and knee. It's weird--it's the only place on my body where I've had any weird skin stuff during pregnancy. :(
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby kaylaxkitten » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:37 am

sometimes one of the flowers on my arm get kinda itchy and bumpy. take some benadryl or put some hydrocortizone cream on it.
kaylaxkitten
Addicted
Addicted

Postby afireinside » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:50 pm

I have lots of tattoos and I have experienced the itchiness but not bumps. My OB said the itchiness is the skin strething (ie. on my stomah, back and rib ones) and said to keep LOTS of lotion on them (and my non-tattooed skin) to help reduce stretch marks. The BEST lotion I've found (was given as a gift) is Body Shop Cocoa Butter Body Butter - smells and feels AMAZING. I put it on nightly followed by BioOil... I'm so slippery at bed time that I almost slide right out.. ha ha!!

Oh and another great piece of advice - don't just put cream on your stomach - put it anywhere that may stretch - ie. upper legs, butt, back! Glad I was told to do that :)
Me - 31 (Edwyna) DH - 31

Took us 3 years to conceive our TWINS so don't give up!
Sophie & Riley were born at 25w6d gestation On Oct. 2/12 at 1.5 lbs each
Sophie & Riley were split up to different hospitals 10 days after birth and not reunited for another 80 days but they are finally back together.
... LOVES of my life!!!
afireinside
Star Member
Star Member

Postby KJ511 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:58 pm

I talked to my OB today--she had never heard of this! But she did take a look and said hydrocortisone cream would be good to help with swelling, so I'll be heading out to get some of that shortly! :D Thanks for all the help, ladies; you're awesome!
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby MorghanW » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:35 am

I have 2 tattoos, one on my shoulder and one on my breast. I've had them for about 11 and 10 years, respectively (I'm ancient!). The one on my shoulder was itchy the other day, but I didn't really think anything of it. I've not experienced the bumps or anything like that. Keep an eye on it, and if it gets worse/skin becomes broken, I'd go see your doc. They might refer you to a derm.

*Nevermind, I see you already went to the doc.* ;)
Me: 31
DH: 33
:angel: 5/2005
DS: 2
DD: 1/19/2015 7lbs 9oz, 20.5 in @ 37w1d

MorghanW
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby nevergivingup » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:04 pm

I have 2 tattoos and I've had itching on my back now that you mentioned it!
nevergivingup

Postby KJ511 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:23 pm

The hydrocortisone seems to be working well. I use it in the morning, then again at night and if I get itchy in between I just put the Aquaphor on. Itchiness and bumps are definitely subsiding--still a little swollen but hopefully that will go away too! :)
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Re: tattoo question

Postby herrybraun » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:49 am

I have tattoo on my arms from last 5 years but not any side effect like itching, rashes etc.
herrybraun

Return to General Pregnancy Board