Calf pain that's been lasting for days

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Calf pain that's been lasting for days

Postby Jasmine1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:53 pm

I'm 8 weeks pregnant today.

One day I woke up and my left calf felt painful, as if I had a pulled muscle and it's overstretched. It didn't go away and lasted for 2 days, each time I get up it's so painful that I could barely walk. When I sit down it's better.

So I went to the dr, she said I probably had a spasm at night and resulted in a painful calf, which might take days to heal.

It doesn't seem to be getting any better(it's been 3 days since it happened). I'm wondering if it's really just a calf spasm? Any of you have experienced this? I'm worried it's something more serious like a blood clot...but the dr said if I had a blood clot it would swell.

Hope someone could help here...
Officially started TTC Mar 07
Our sweet baby in God's arms--D&C 10w4d, Sep 07

IVF #1 (ICSI): Jun 2012 9w3d baby no more heartbeat
IVF #2 (ICSI): Jan 2013 Chemical
IVF #3 May 2013 Poor response after 5 days stim, cancelled cycle!
IVF #4 (ICSI): Aug 2013 BETA(15 DPO) 1041 Triplets!! God please let this be it!!

Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Calf pain that's been lasting for days

Postby bazil323 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:18 am

I wonder if you pulled/strained the muscle besides just a cramp. I have had some seriously bad leg cramps where I limp around that morning, but the soreness is mostly gone by the end of the day and at most a mild ache the second day that is gone by the end of the day. If it were a pulled/strained muscle on top of that, I could see how it would stay more painful for longer. If that's the case, then icing it alternating with heat (or stick with one or the other if one helps more) 20 minutes on and 20 minutes without and resting the leg will help.

However, my first thought was also blood clot. Usually you have swelling and sometimes warmth in the affected leg. I would call your doctor and see if he is still not concerned about it, but you could always go in for a second opinion with someone else. The way they check for blood clots is to do an ultrasound of the veins/arteries in your leg, so it's totally noninvasive and safe in pregnancy.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Jasmine1 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:00 pm

Thanks for responding and suggestions.

My calf doesn't seem to be getting better and hurts like hell each time I get up, especially sitting for a long time or getting up from bed. I need to stand for a few minutes in pain until I start to walk.

Hmm...instead of feeling heated my leg feels cold sometimes....which probably indicates poor circulation I guess?

I was wondering how they would diagnose my condition if I had a blood clot and thought they'd need to have an x-ray. An ultrasound sounds much more safer.

I'll see how it goes for maybe a few days more and go for another dr if I'm not getting better. Thanks!

bazil323 wrote:I wonder if you pulled/strained the muscle besides just a cramp. I have had some seriously bad leg cramps where I limp around that morning, but the soreness is mostly gone by the end of the day and at most a mild ache the second day that is gone by the end of the day. If it were a pulled/strained muscle on top of that, I could see how it would stay more painful for longer. If that's the case, then icing it alternating with heat (or stick with one or the other if one helps more) 20 minutes on and 20 minutes without and resting the leg will help.

However, my first thought was also blood clot. Usually you have swelling and sometimes warmth in the affected leg. I would call your doctor and see if he is still not concerned about it, but you could always go in for a second opinion with someone else. The way they check for blood clots is to do an ultrasound of the veins/arteries in your leg, so it's totally noninvasive and safe in pregnancy.

IVF #4 (ICSI): Aug 2013 BETA(15 DPO) 1041 Triplets!! God please let this be it!!

Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Gonzo1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:04 am

I am having the same thing, but I also have some hamstring issues on top of it. The hamstring just tightens up so much it feels like a guitar string. Quite painful. I notice the calf cramps follow the hammy, and they hurt more like when I squat and then stand up. If I stretch out and exercise it seems to help for a while.

No hot/cold/or anything that might indicate clot or circulation issues. I am assuming that my hammy is pulling my entire leg out of whack. Time to see my chiropractor!
BFP 06/13/2013
HB 7/29- 170s
9/6 It's a BOY! :future baby boy:
Wyatt born 2/2014 - All natural water birth
Gonzo1
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Jasmine1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:29 am

I finally went to see a podiatrist. Turns out that it's not pregnancy-related. Well,actually it's because I'm pregnant I tend to sit more than usual and maybe sometimes my posture isn't great and causes my calf to tighten. When I was pregnant last yr(which resulted in a m/c) I sat too much and couldn't sleep on my sides, so I already had some problem with my left leg(numb foot)... My podiatrist said I already had tight hamstring with my left foot so that also adds to it.

Hope you and I get better soon...I can't walk properly still.

Gonzo1 wrote:I am having the same thing, but I also have some hamstring issues on top of it. The hamstring just tightens up so much it feels like a guitar string. Quite painful. I notice the calf cramps follow the hammy, and they hurt more like when I squat and then stand up. If I stretch out and exercise it seems to help for a while.

No hot/cold/or anything that might indicate clot or circulation issues. I am assuming that my hammy is pulling my entire leg out of whack. Time to see my chiropractor!

Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby bazil323 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:30 am

Glad it's not a blood clot! Hopefully the podiatrist can give you some stretches or something to get relief.

I've been having hip/low back pain that turned out to be one side of my sacroliac joint (the part of your back right above your butt) being locked and then twisting my hips & spine to compensate. I found a great chiro who is certified in the Webster technique, and she has been awesome. Had my second visit with her this morning, and she gave me some stretches to help loosen my super tight muscles in my hips/back/buttocks. She also recommended I sleep with a pillow between my knees and highly recommended the Snoogle to help keep my hips in better alignment through the night. I ordered one because I wasn't entirely happy with the body pillow I"m using, but I'm already feeling a bit better using that. My leg doesn't ache down to my knee now, although my hip is still in the process of being realigned.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Jasmine1 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:40 am

Thanks for caring. :)

She told me to flex my feet before getting up. I'm getting better now. My ankle did swell up but the swelling has subsided.

Hey I've went to a chiro too before doing my IVF because of my numb foot. He also said I had a problem with my sacroiliac joint too (but I had other complications too). Spent lots of money before I got better.

I have a pregnancy pillow which is like a moon shape...looks like a banana actually, but it's not helping very much at this early stage of pregnancy. I also considered getting a snoogle but it seems a bit huge...DH would have no space...

I have some problem with sleeping on the sides. If I sleep on my left side my foot gets numb easily, if I sleep on my right side I feel my body collapses and I have trouble breathing. So I feel best when I lay on my back but then that's not the best posture for pregnancy and it's too hard on my tail bone which has been painful when I apply pressure on it since many years ago....geez what kind of person am I? :?

Anyway, hope you get well soon! :D

bazil323 wrote:Glad it's not a blood clot! Hopefully the podiatrist can give you some stretches or something to get relief.

I've been having hip/low back pain that turned out to be one side of my sacroliac joint (the part of your back right above your butt) being locked and then twisting my hips & spine to compensate. I found a great chiro who is certified in the Webster technique, and she has been awesome. Had my second visit with her this morning, and she gave me some stretches to help loosen my super tight muscles in my hips/back/buttocks. She also recommended I sleep with a pillow between my knees and highly recommended the Snoogle to help keep my hips in better alignment through the night. I ordered one because I wasn't entirely happy with the body pillow I"m using, but I'm already feeling a bit better using that. My leg doesn't ache down to my knee now, although my hip is still in the process of being realigned.

Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby bazil323 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:22 am

Thanks for the well wishes! I have been feeling better and better after every appointment and with using the stretches she showed me. I also started a prenatal yoga/belly dance DVD (Amira's version, whatever it's titled), and that also seems to be helping me from tightening up in my back & hips again.

I thought the same thing about the Snoogle looking just huge and that it wouldn't fit in our bed. We have a Queen, but we're both tall & big so even as it is we sometimes feel like there's no room (plus add the medium-size dog in sometimes...). After the body pillow was just not cutting it and my hip/back was aching & giving out every single night, I figured it was worth a try and I could always return it if it really was as big as it seemed. It's actually not that bad. DH hasn't said anything about it taking up too much space, and he's definitely the type to complain if he doesn't like it. :) I think the body pillow actually takes up more room than the Snoogle. The Snoogle is longer, but the part that goes along either my back or belly (depending on what position I use it in) is only about half as wide as the body pillow.

Have you tried putting a pillow behind one side of your back to kind of tilt you so that you can sleep on your back but without so much pressure on your tailbone & the artery? I've seen that recommended a few places for people who can't sleep on their side very well.

bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Gonzo1 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:43 am

bazil323 wrote:prenatal yoga/belly dance DVD (Amira's version, whatever it's titled)

Ok, that sounds like a ton of fun! :D
BFP 06/13/2013
HB 7/29- 170s
9/6 It's a BOY! :future baby boy:
Wyatt born 2/2014 - All natural water birth
Gonzo1
Star Member
Star Member

Postby bazil323 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:13 pm

It is! It really feels great, and she has a nice pace where I don't feel like I'm pushing myself too hard which happens so much lately, lol. I love her accent too!

bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Jasmine1 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:18 am

Good to hear that you're feeling better and better. :D

Isn't it difficult to dance in your third trimester? 8O

It was funny when you mentioned your dog... I might consider getting the Snoogle when I'm further along (I'm always afraid that I wouldn't need it after a while, because of my bad experiences with my m/cs... :( )

I did try the tilted position but it didn't seem to work. Felt like my tummy was hanging. Just yesterday I tried to sleep on the side in all kinds of angles but I ended up feeling dizzy (because of low sugar?)...and my tummy got a bit achy which would sometimes happen when I sleep on the sides.... I tried propping up then my calf hurt! I ended up sleeping on my back again after struggling for more than 2 hours....I had to give up my tailbone. This situation worries me because I'm not supposed to sleep on my back when I get into the 2nd trimester, plus that if I have twins my uterus is supposed to be getting big and might be pushing on the main vein already (forgot what it's called). Don't know what to do, sigh....

bazil323 wrote:Thanks for the well wishes! I have been feeling better and better after every appointment and with using the stretches she showed me. I also started a prenatal yoga/belly dance DVD (Amira's version, whatever it's titled), and that also seems to be helping me from tightening up in my back & hips again.

I thought the same thing about the Snoogle looking just huge and that it wouldn't fit in our bed. We have a Queen, but we're both tall & big so even as it is we sometimes feel like there's no room (plus add the medium-size dog in sometimes...). After the body pillow was just not cutting it and my hip/back was aching & giving out every single night, I figured it was worth a try and I could always return it if it really was as big as it seemed. It's actually not that bad. DH hasn't said anything about it taking up too much space, and he's definitely the type to complain if he doesn't like it. :) I think the body pillow actually takes up more room than the Snoogle. The Snoogle is longer, but the part that goes along either my back or belly (depending on what position I use it in) is only about half as wide as the body pillow.

Have you tried putting a pillow behind one side of your back to kind of tilt you so that you can sleep on your back but without so much pressure on your tailbone & the artery? I've seen that recommended a few places for people who can't sleep on their side very well.

Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby bazil323 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:45 pm

Sorry I haven't replied in a while!

The belly dancing is actually less dancing than just doing a few key moves that are almost more like stretches than dance. The DVD I have is set up specifically for pregnancy, and the woman who demonstrates it is pregnant on there too. It's made so that it really takes it easy on you and tells you to take a break and get some water often, even pause the DVD if needed to catch your breath. I can handle it pretty well, and I am so out of shape, plus I have asthma. It's fun, and I love listening to her accent!

About the Snoogle, I don't think I needed it until late in the second trimester, but I also wasn't showing a whole lot until about 30 weeks either. If you pop sooner, you may want to get one then, but I really didn't feel like I needed the support until about 30-32 weeks, somewhere in there. A lot of people just in a body pillow, and that may work just fine for you too. I happened to not like it, but I think it might have been okay if it was a firmer one and had a cotton cover instead of polyester--too sweaty and didn't have enough support to keep my hips in the right place. I bought the Snoogle when I was 32 weeks, so I've only had it for about 2 weeks. So far, I still really like it, and I definitely notice a difference if I don't use it for even a couple hours.

You may want to look into those little Boppy wedge pillows. It's like a foot across and the highest side is about 3 inches I think. I bought one way back around 20 weeks I think, and I mainly used it to sit on to kind of force me to have better posture and keep my weight more forward onto my pelvis rather than back on my tailbone for better fetal positioning. Anyway, once I started really popping, it did really help my belly feel better when I was on my side because it supports that weight and keeps your muscles from stretching so much.

bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Jasmine1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:36 am

Thanks for your suggestions. I thought you had gone into labour or something.... :P but now I see that you still have another month or so until you meet your little one. :mrgreen:

I've also thought of getting a wedge pillow. My tummy is getting bigger (don't know if it's from bloating or because of my triplets), esp. after meals, it blows up like a balloon...and I feel that the food I eat isn't getting digested when I go to bed. Just that it seems quite messy having so many things on the bed. Since my pregnancy pillow is a bit hard it IS able to support my back when I need it (provided that my stomach doesn't feel too heavy, which depends on my condition...or else I'd get uncomfy by the heaviness). So I might invest on a wedge pillow since I already have the banana shaped pillow. Comparing to the Snoogle it costs a lot less!

I didn't know that you could use the wedge pillow as a sitting cushion though. My tailbone always hurt if I sit (leaning back) for a period of time. Does it work on sofas? If it works there'd be another reason for getting it....

bazil323 wrote:Sorry I haven't replied in a while!

The belly dancing is actually less dancing than just doing a few key moves that are almost more like stretches than dance. The DVD I have is set up specifically for pregnancy, and the woman who demonstrates it is pregnant on there too. It's made so that it really takes it easy on you and tells you to take a break and get some water often, even pause the DVD if needed to catch your breath. I can handle it pretty well, and I am so out of shape, plus I have asthma. It's fun, and I love listening to her accent!

About the Snoogle, I don't think I needed it until late in the second trimester, but I also wasn't showing a whole lot until about 30 weeks either. If you pop sooner, you may want to get one then, but I really didn't feel like I needed the support until about 30-32 weeks, somewhere in there. A lot of people just in a body pillow, and that may work just fine for you too. I happened to not like it, but I think it might have been okay if it was a firmer one and had a cotton cover instead of polyester--too sweaty and didn't have enough support to keep my hips in the right place. I bought the Snoogle when I was 32 weeks, so I've only had it for about 2 weeks. So far, I still really like it, and I definitely notice a difference if I don't use it for even a couple hours.

You may want to look into those little Boppy wedge pillows. It's like a foot across and the highest side is about 3 inches I think. I bought one way back around 20 weeks I think, and I mainly used it to sit on to kind of force me to have better posture and keep my weight more forward onto my pelvis rather than back on my tailbone for better fetal positioning. Anyway, once I started really popping, it did really help my belly feel better when I was on my side because it supports that weight and keeps your muscles from stretching so much.

Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby bazil323 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:43 pm

I imagine it would work on a sofa. It's not super firm, so it does get squished down, but it does seem to help keep me from sitting too far back on my tailbone when I'm working. I work from home 3 days a week, so I try to either use the wedge pillow on my normal office chair or switch to sitting on the exercise ball. My back won't tolerate a whole day on the exercise ball, but I'll switch it up to sit on it for a couple hours to take the pressure off my pelvis/tailbone area.

:mrgreen: I hope it's about another month to meet the little! I am actually really enjoying these last few weeks, and although I'm starting to notice her drop down and put some more pressure on my cervix, I'm still treasuring these days where we are so close and she's so easy to take care of, lol. I am eager to meet her, but I'm ok with waiting a few weeks too. Now that I'm not dealing with nausea or nearly as much hip pain (only if I don't do the exercises & start going back to bad posture), I'm loving pregnancy!

bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Jasmine1 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:55 am

Hi! I did get a wedge pillow. I'm not really used to using though. I'm kind of afraid that it'd put pressure on my babies...would it or am I just worrying too much? :roll: Haven't used it for sitting because I figured that it'd probably go flat very soon if I sit on it.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your pregnancy! If your baby doesn't come out early then you'd just have more time to prepare stuff for her, which should be fun too. Wish you a safe and very smooth labour! :D

bazil323 wrote:I imagine it would work on a sofa. It's not super firm, so it does get squished down, but it does seem to help keep me from sitting too far back on my tailbone when I'm working. I work from home 3 days a week, so I try to either use the wedge pillow on my normal office chair or switch to sitting on the exercise ball. My back won't tolerate a whole day on the exercise ball, but I'll switch it up to sit on it for a couple hours to take the pressure off my pelvis/tailbone area.

:mrgreen: I hope it's about another month to meet the little! I am actually really enjoying these last few weeks, and although I'm starting to notice her drop down and put some more pressure on my cervix, I'm still treasuring these days where we are so close and she's so easy to take care of, lol. I am eager to meet her, but I'm ok with waiting a few weeks too. Now that I'm not dealing with nausea or nearly as much hip pain (only if I don't do the exercises & start going back to bad posture), I'm loving pregnancy!

Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Next

Return to General Pregnancy Board