Throat swelling in third trimester- advice?

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Throat swelling in third trimester- advice?

Postby MrsJenkins » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 pm

I've had pretty bad nasal congestion for the duration of my pregnancy. In the last couple of weeks however my throat feels like it's swelling shut, especially at night. It's not an instant thing, like an allergic reaction. It just feels like my throat is a little more swollen and I can't breathe while I am trying to fall asleep. I will either snore myself awake as soon as I fall asleep or go from a nearly-asleep state to full-on panic because I feel like I can't breathe. Breathing through my mouth doesn't help. I've tried hot lemon, gargling with salt and water to shrink the throat tissues, but every night is the same story. It's at the point now where I am really anxious about going to sleep because i know what's going to happen. I've tried sitting up which helps a little, and I've tried a humidifier, but nothing is really doing the trick. I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow, but as a fan of natural remedies I thought I'd reach out to any of you ladies who may have experienced this during pregnancy. I don't have asthma, I am not overweight, and I don't have heartburn (although I can feel the pressure at the top of my stomach I've never felt burning, per se). My mum had a look down my throat today and she said it looks a little inflamed. I don't have a cold or flu, but I do still have my tonsils. They feel ok though.
Any ideas welcome. I'm going to try grapefruit seed extract tonight. Fingers crossed I can get some sleep!
Tomos Jenkins born Feb 8 2014
Huge fan of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
MrsJenkins
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: Throat swelling in third trimester- advice?

Postby HappyBaby » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:30 pm

An allergic reaction doesn't have to be an immediate thing. You can still have swelling at a slower pace. Throat swelling is common with anaphylaxis but it's not exclusive to it if that makes sense. I would definitely check with the Doc about it sooner rather than later.
"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside"
HappyBaby
Angel
Angel

Postby MrsJenkins » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:38 pm

Thanks Happybaby. I'll definitely ask about that. I've also been reading up about my symptoms online tonight and I seem to fit the bill for sleep apnea. I was diagnosed with mild to moderate sleep apnea last year but it was never this bad in that I didn't even know I had stopped breathing in the night. I'm wondering if the pregnancy hormones have increased the severity of it. :(
Tomos Jenkins born Feb 8 2014
Huge fan of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
MrsJenkins
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby shashank16997 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:19 am

Turmeric can help you in tonsillitis treatment as it contains antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.

Take 1 tbsp of Turmeric powder in a glass with hot water.
Gargle with this mixture several times a day and especially before going to bed.
It will help get rid of the inflammation and soreness.
shashank16997

Return to General Pregnancy Board