20 Weeks & Fired my OB

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

20 Weeks & Fired my OB

Postby Honey Bunny » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:44 pm

Well Its not the hormones that's for sure.

There are many reasons for my decision to leave the OB-GYN office I was going. I know its crazy and unheard of, half way through a pregnancy, but I had to.

1. It was not as personal or 1 On 1. They literary have a baby mill operation. 10 Dr's. and every checkup is like 5 mins, hello, bye. It's a huge business and office. Maybe at the least 30 chairs in their waiting room? Yeah major red flag looking back.

2.The many times I've gone in for checkups, u/s or labs maybe 6 or 7 times I've only seen my DR 2 times. She's never seen baby. (initially saw gestational & yolk sac)

3. They aren't clear on details of lab costs. It's not the $ amount, but it's the sticker shock of getting a lab bill for over $1200 for Bills CF test. Thank god for insurance but stil, it's optional I know, but give me a heads up on the cost.

4. That same test results went missing for 3 or 4 weeks and they kept asking me for the results and I'm like, I don't know you guys should have that info. They never called me to go over labs, regardless if they are normal or abnormal, as a first time mom I would like to know all details. Mind you some of these test I understand but there are things and numbers I have no Idea what they mean.

5.I knew going in that perhaps my Dr wouldn't deliver the baby, but based on the past 3 months experience I am 100% certain it wouldn't be her. She's never around.

6. I asked about our NT Scan charge, since our contract states all ultrasounds are covered under it. We'll they tell me then its an optional procedure, Well that was the first time I had heard that, I thought it was standard, not saying I wouldn't of done it either way, but Its nice to again, not be surprised about hearing this information for the first time.

I guess to me it's the lack of personalized relationship and someone knowing me, my pregnancy, and baby. Perhaps if this was my 3rd baby I wouldn't mind, I would know the routine, and wouldn't need much direction.. but even then.

So I am going to a private MD, FACOG , OB-GYN. She is amazing, It is wonderful. So much attention to detail, and explanation, and I feel so comfortable with her. She even went as far as saying, I deliver all my patients, and do not take Vacations or time off, and If I do you will be very well aware of it ahead of time..

Feels good I will say. & You know the best part, its cheaper than my ex-ob.. Crazy I know.

Alright sorry if this turned into a rant, but I feel AMAZING!
Me: 27
DH : 53

Image IT'S A GIRL!Image
Claire Olivia
Born: July 17th, 2015

Baby # 2 EDD JULY 16th, 2016 - Team Green Again!

Honey Bunny

Re: 20 Weeks & Fired my OB

Postby Yaybaby88 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:58 pm

These are a lot of the same reasons we switched to a midwife. The appointments are long and thorough, and very personal. I absolutely love it. :)
ME-(Rachel) 27
DF-30
DD-8
DSD-8
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
Yaybaby88
Star Member
Star Member

Postby tellmewy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:48 am

What a relief! It sounds like you made a great decision. I'm sorry your experience has been so lousy! I had a not great experience with my first baby and my OB and started with them with my second but left after the initial blood work when I heard the dr and nurse smack-talking me outside the exam room! They also acted like I was miscarrying bc my first beta at 10dpo was 14. It was not reassuring. So I switched to a midwife and it was amazing!! They schedule 30 min appointments and 20-25 mins of that is just for talking and answering questions. The midwives all knew my personal life and remembered what was going on with me (we had a lot of family and house hunting drama) from visit to visit, the receptionist knew my voice on the phone, amazing. I don't know why I stayed with the first crappy place for so long!!
Me (Lynn) 29, DH 29 - Married 5 years
DS 11/2011 unplanned csec
DD 1/2014 med free VBAC
EDD #3: 11-5-15

tellmewy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby OCT.4me » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:06 pm

Yes finding a good OB is vital. Last pregnancy God was looking out for me because I too discovered I was referred to a baby mill office and they called you by number rather then name?? Visits took three hours and two of that was waiting? I was also denied a dr. And got conflicting information due to inconsistency of who my regular nurse would be.

So mid pregnancy I called around looking for on and found out that after 14 weeks most offices wouldn't take me. I felt forced to return to my old OB office despite my string distaste for the dr's I saw. I was super happy to get a note week after I was seen in office that my dr was leaving the practice and I would see a new physician. Best thing that could have happened to me!! He's awesome.

Yes remembered me, nurse remembers me; answers my questions... And even respects my quirks like not wanting to know my weight.

Having the right person to walk with you through your journey is crucial for security.
Due Sept. 7th, 2015 carrying this miracle to term!!!

MY CHILDREN

ANGEL BABIES

TWO MORE ANGELS in HEAVEN as well
OCT.4me
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Honey Bunny » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:30 pm

Glad to know you ladies had a similar situation and also made the right decision. I am looking forward to this baby, and actually getting excited about the birth part as crazy as that sounds.

Image IT'S A GIRL!Image
Claire Olivia

Honey Bunny

Postby tellmewy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:08 am

yay! Birth is so exciting! not crazy sounding at all :-) I was/am obsessed. I couldn't get enough info! I loved reading Ina May Garten's guide to childbirth and watching Business of Being Born and More Business of Being Born on Netflix. It is a really cool experience no matter which way it goes (coming from experiencing a csec and a natural birth)!
Me (Lynn) 29, DH 29 - Married 5 years
DS 11/2011 unplanned csec
DD 1/2014 med free VBAC
EDD #3: 11-5-15

tellmewy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby delightfuldoula » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:15 am

finding a good care provider is one of the first and a very important decision you will make as 'mommy.' So glad you feel cared for now, I have had a midwife for all my pregnancies and just LOVE the kind of care they offer......all but two of my visits were done in my home :D
Image Image
DD July 2006
DS Sept 2007
DD Nov 2008
DD Jan 2010
DS NOV 2012
DD July 2014
DS DUE OCTOBER 2015
Angel baby Aug 9 2013 @9 weeks
Vasectomy Reversal Dec 19 2011
delightfuldoula
Angel
Angel

Postby Kari.Nathan » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:50 pm

You def made the right choice!!! And I know this because you said that you "feel amazing" <----- that tells you right there that you made the right choice. :D It's sooo important to feel connected, comfortable and safe with the DR you choose. This is such an important and private period of time in your life and your sharing the experience with your DR. I also changed DRs after a horrible experience with the 1st ultrasound. I was dreading having to go back and deal with them so I researched some other DRs in the area and found one that I love!!! She is actually outside of my insurance network so I have to pay an additional 15% but I don't care because this is such an important and happy event that I shouldn't have felt the way I did with the first DR. I had that "amazing" feeling also after changing..felt like the world was lifted off my shoulders and I could breath without problems. :) Soo glad your happy with your new DR!!!

Everleigh Jordan 6.26.15 @ 39+1 7lbs 12oz
R side pyelectasis
US 23+0 Weight 1lb 7oz
US 26+5 Weight 2lbs 9oz
US 31+5 Weight 4lbs 10oz
US 36+1 Weight 6lbs 13oz

US number 456,765 or so it feels lol scheduled for 12.28.15 to go over surgery details to remove upper pole of R kidney. Confirmed duplication (from renal lasix scan) of collecting ducts on BOTH sides.
Kari.Nathan
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Honey Bunny » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:51 pm

Kari thanks girl, thats exactly how I felt, like the world lifted off my shoulders. Woohoo!

Image IT'S A GIRL!Image
Claire Olivia

Honey Bunny

Return to General Pregnancy Board