group b strep positive

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

group b strep positive

Postby joyfulnoise » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:35 am

My doctor called me today and said that my urine sample came back that I tested positive for group B strep. She didn't seem concerned and just said she wants me to take an antibiotic for 7 days and then I will have an IV of antibiotics during labor to prevent baby from getting sick. Of course I have googled and scared myself. I am just so worried now that my baby will get sick while in the womb or get sick after birth. I guess what is frustrating is I am doing everything I can to be healthy and this is something that I apparently cannot help. I am already eating yogurt and things that is supposed to help. I will be 7 weeks on Monday. Anyone go through this?
joyfulnoise
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: group b strep positive

Postby melly1982 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:12 am

Its very common, dont stress yourself out over it :)
Mel xx
TTC #1 since Jan 2010

Kaitlyn Grace 4/28/11 6lbs 9oz
Isabel Rose 9/20/12 8lb 1oz
Suprise #3 EDD 10/07/2015

melly1982

Postby joyfulnoise » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:37 pm

Thanks so much for the response! It's crazy I have never heard of this before because it seems like it is relatively common. This is my first, so just trying to stay relaxed lol!
joyfulnoise
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby tryingnumber3 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:47 am

I had never heard of it until with my dd2, I tested positive when they check in 3rd tri. I was very concerned as I had never heard of it before. But it's not really that bad. Many people have group b strep as their normal gut bacteria. It can get into vagina/urethra where then they become worried about baby getting sick. I had iv antibiotics with dd2 birth and she was fine. This pregnancy, I was having some lower abdominal pain and they found group b strep in my urine, so I had 7 day antibiotic and now will also automatically be on iv antibiotics during this labor too.
Me: Jessica 26
Dh: 27
DD1: 8
DD2: 6
DD3: 7/21/15 :babyg:
:angel: 6 weeks 10/19/14

tryingnumber3
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to General Pregnancy Board